DeNiro vs. Pacino

Tools    

MovieForums Extra
DE NIRO BAD PERFORMANCES: Great Expectations, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Mary Shelleys Frankenstein, the Fan and Meet the Parents.

PACINO BAD PERFORMANCES: Revolution, Cruising, Scent of a Woman, Devil's advocate, Any Given Sunday.
What?! The Fan, and Meet the Parents for De Niro?? They were both good films, and certainly don't deserve to be placed in the category of "crap film"...

As for Pacino, Scent of a Woman is one of my favourite Pacino movies (after the Godfather, of course ), and Devil's Advocate is no worse!

To choose out of the two is a pretty difficult question, I'll second sadesdrk in saying that sex is sex, whatever time of day!

I respect your opinion Zephyrus but I have to disagree with you. The Fan is not only one of De Niro's worst films, but also one of Tony Scott's (True Romance, The Hunger) and Wesley Snipes' (that is saying something) poorest efforts. With regards to Meet the Parents, just watch any of De Niro's films of the 70's to see the depth to which he can perform.

Scent of a Woman is a film notorious for producing Pacino with his sympathy Oscar, after being passed over for all of the 70's (which I think is a crime). Since this film his edgy angry style of acting has become lazy and stoic. His performances seem to blend into one another, thus I'm always aware that I'm watching Al Pacino rather than a 3D character: he's lost the power to convince me that he is the character rather than the other way around.

Sorry to talk about the 70's again but when you see the quality prevalent during this era, you have to acknowledge the fact that These two former heavyweights were top of the pile. I'd say that the performances in the above mentioned films are better than a majority of acting in the 90's, but when you look at what they can do, is it really unfair of me to expect or want more?

Yes, sex is sex, but great sex is better than average sex. I'm sure messrs Pacino and De Niro would agree...

I would have to say that I like DeNiro better, but Pacino is not far behind. His preformance in Scarface is unlike anything else I have ever seen. I agree with what some have said as well...about how he overreacts. In "Heat" you can see some proof of that, although I do think he is awesome in that movie.

DeNiro will always be the man...period!

Steve

Now With Moveable Parts
If I absolutely had to pick because Robert and Al despretly wanted to know,I would say,DeNiro.Sorry Al.It's just that DeNiro and I have been around the block a few times.I've seen all of his movies and I love him.He loves me too,I can feel it.Pacino,buddy,you know you're the man and you don't need me to tell ya that,But these insensitive hosers are making me choose.I choose DeNiro but I would rather sleep with Pacino.

Rock God
i've seen a lot of movies by both those guys, because i think they're both really good actors, but i would have to go with deniro. mainly because his films happen to be better (slightly) and i think he can do more than pacino non-verbally, which is a trait i admire in an actor. also, he's worked with one of my favorite directors, scorsese, so many times that they practically have a hollywood dynasty. pacino movies are either really really good or just so-so. somehow denior movies are more powerful, but don't get me wrong, i like pacino, too.

has anybody heard those funny prank calls that use clips of pacino's voice played at key times during the call to make conversations? it's hard to explain, but they did it with schwarzenegger, too. i remember i got them before the great fall of the napster empire, and they're still on my computer. they're really funny, but you'd have to hear them to see what i mean.

I think you've hit the jack pot my son! Exactly! De Niro's sense of physical acting is tremendous. Pacino demonstrated his ability to act without dialogue to a high level in The Godfather Parts I & II, but De Niro is superior in this department. Whether you like Tarantino, Jackie Brown or De Niro's performance in the previous, this is why Tarantino hired him; for his ability to act without dialogue.

de niro is the man...but pacino is the crazy man u dont **** with

Definitely DeNiro, although another one of his subpar performances was in Analyze This, in my opinion. His crying in that movie was not believable at all. Recently the movies DeNiro's been in, and the roles he has played, have gone down hill ( like 15 Minutes, The Score, Showtime ). DeNiro is capable of so much more than this generic garbage.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Just came across this thread and thought I'd comment.

It's gotta be Pacino. He scares me sometimes when he's acting for two reasons.

1- He's so good
2- In scenes where he's angry, it almost seriously scares me

I know I'll catch hell for this, but while DeNiro has great performances (Raging Bull in particular) he also has performances where I feel like I could have seen it at any local high school play.

As much as I like Pacino De Niro is just so much better.

Movie Forums Extra
Ya, I love 'em both. Both are fabulous but... de niro leads in acting.

Hmm, I thought they were the same person. Whodah thunkit?

Robert De Niro

I am Jack's custom user title...
Ok this is a big one...this argument comes up every year...heres my opinion...
DeNiro and Pacino are two of my favorite actors ...no doubt...but if i'd have to choose it would be Pacino for one simple reason : theres a lot of DeNiro movies where i could picture Pacino playing the role of DeNiro but very few Pacino movies that could be played by DeNiro...of course this is just my opinion.

"...I'm a humanist..." Al Pacino in Devil's Advocate

Tough to decide for me. I love watching them both in films. For example, even DeNiro in 'The Fan' played his part well and made the movie watchable for me. He just had a terrible writer.

Well from what I've seen in recent years, DeNiro is capable of comedy and of course, the mafia-esk drama that made him famous.. but Pacino is not. Take Two for the Money, for example... his character was a semi-dramatic role with some humor mixed in, but it was definitely still dark and tragic humor if that... We are not about to see him paired up against Jim Carey or Ben Stiller in a comedy any time soon, though it would be an interesting challenge for him.

1. Robert De Niro
2. Al Pacino

Make a better place
to me, De Niro all the way

I think Al is a good actor, but De Niro is one of the greatest of all time, he's not one of my favorites though

but let's face it, when it comes to acting abilities, Robert is the master no matter what the role is

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Both are just shadows of the actors they used to be now, but De Niro in his prime is still one of my favourite actors.