MPAA Censors Another Quality Film - L.I.E.

Tools    

Hey,

I'd like to let you guys know about a film that's coming out soon called L.I.E. In short, it is a powerful, honest portrayal of teenagers growing up in America's suburbia today. It has received accolades from the New York Times, LA Weekly, Sundance Film Festival, and a myriad of other publications and film communities. It stars Brian Cox (the original Hannibal in "Manhunter", Billy Kay (Guiding Light), and Paul Franklin Dano ("stand-out performance" in indieWIRE) - all of whom give remarkable performances. You have to, at least, check out the killer trailer~

Trailer to L.I.E.:
http://www.electricartists.com/lie/trailer.html

This film is generating a lot of buzz not only because it's been received so well critically but because it has been slapped with an entirely undeserved NC-17 rating. (The film contains less sexual and violent content than your average R-rated film but deals with issues of adolescent sexuality in a frank manner.) The MPAA has done it again - in effect, censoring a quality film. With that rating, even the young actors who are in the film can't go see their own film! I know a lot of you are interested in the issue of censorship and MPAA's often-arbitrary, seemingly-flawed rating system. Here is an informative page that deals with the germane points~

L.I.E. Censorship Issue Page:
http://www.electricartists.com/lie/issue.html

After reading the issues at hand, you'd like to participate in raising awareness about MPAA's censorship against this film or have any questions at all, please, contact me at: [email protected].

Thank you for your time,
Jin
[email protected]

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well I haven't seen the movie, and since I'm 16 I doubt I will anytime soon, but hey good luck on what your doing! It is a shame that movies have to be censored like this.

I'm not taking sides without more information, but I will tell you this: I'm not too happy with someone registering just to promote some cause. This is this member's only post, so I'm wary of things.

If the movie has a lot of graphic teenage sex, then I support the rating. If not, then maybe I don't...but I'm not going to take your word for it. Not only that, but I'm less inclined to side with someone who likes to deal out spiced ham.

Oh, I'd also like to add that I've move this thread into the Intermission forum, so as not to get in the way of the other discussions there. In addition, I'm reading through your site, and am disagreeing with a lot of what is being said...

...there are many instances of blatant rudeness and disrespect...instances in which you could have stayed above the fray and made your point politely...but instead, I think you've hurt your case. Some of your logic there is flawed anyway, I'm sorry to say.

All I'll say other than that, for now, is that I wouldn't be surprised if you've posted and absolutely identical message on several other movie message boards around the Internet.

I'm not taking sides without more information, but I will tell you this: I'm not too happy with someone registering just to promote some cause
This was exactly my thought when I saw this post TWT . Had a similar thing over at mine recently. Same message posted on loads of same-themed boards too.

I doubt we'll see this guy again - IMHO it's verging on the spam...

Oh, no doubt. And just so you all know (without having to visit the site on your own), this movie deals with pedophilia, and sex for pay relationships between young teenagers and grown men. I agree with their sentiment for a new rating, but, under the current system, I don't know that this rating isn't justified...that seems like deep stuff.

And yeah, it is spiced ham...ahhh, delicious.

Rock God
i have never even heard of that movie, let alone know anything about it, but if you're interested in censorship in general, you might still be able to resurrect our good ole' censorship thread in general i haven't seen arguing like that on this site since that thread died off.

By the way, this movie L.I.E. is coming to Dallas at some point according to the little flyer the theater gave me when I saw "Made" this afternoon.

I just saw this movie today - I bought the DVD at Best Buy using a gift card. I've been interested in it for awhile. It really is a great movie (stunning photography) and I don't quite agree with the NC-17 rating either (the cover of the DVD calls this "the original, uncut version"). Brian Cox does a brilliant job as the suave, POPULAR pedophile (all the guys in town know him *well*, even a cop!) It's strange how I can find humor in a lot of this - there's even some mild slapstick. It's also funny because Cox plays "Big John" like Hannibal Lecter into pedophilia instead of cannibalism - he dances with ladies, has his mother and friends over for his birthday (including the boy who lives with him), and he cruises around in this cherry red convertible, sniffing a ripped piece of a boy's pair of jeans! My, oh, my, it can shock you, but overall, it's a fine art movie. Not for everyone.