Danny Aiello, R.I.P.

Tools    

Blue-collar character actor Danny Aiello has died at age 86

NEW YORK (AP) — Danny Aiello, the blue-collar character actor whose long career playing tough guys included roles in Fort Apache, the Bronx, Moonstruck, and Once Upon a Time in America and his Oscar-nominated performance as a pizza man in Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing, has died. He was 86.

Aiello (pronounced eye-YEL-o) died Thursday night after a brief illness, said his publicist, Tracey Miller, who runs Tracey Miller & Associates. “The family asks for privacy at this time,” she said in a statement. In a tweet, Cher mourned the man she called “a genius comedic actor.” The two had starred in Moonstruck and she called it “one of the happiest times in my life.” Actor Michael Rapaport tweeted that Aiello was a “huge inspiration” and actor Kirk Acevedo mourned: “We lost a great actor today.”

Recognizable, if not famous, for his burly build and husky voice, he was an ex-union president who broke into acting in his 30s and remained a dependable player for decades, whether vicious or cuddly or some of each. His breakthrough, ironically, was as the hapless lover dumped by Cher in Norman Jewison’s hit comedy Moonstruck. His disillusion contributed to the laughter, and although he wasn’t nominated for a supporting-role Oscar (Cher and Olympia Dukakis won in their categories), Aiello was inundated with movie offers.

“Living in New York City gave me training for any role,” he said in a 1997 interview. “I’ve seen people killed, knifed. I’ve got scars on my face. I have emotional recall when I work; the idea is simply to recreate it. I’ve seen it and experienced it. I’ve played gangsters, teachers but most of my work has been in the police area. And for that I’m adored by the police in New York City.” The ebullient Aiello became a favorite of several directors, among them Woody Allen, who used him in the Broadway play “The Floating Light Globe” and the movies Broadway Danny Rose, The Purple Rose of Cairo, and Radio Days. Spike Lee was another admirer and for Do the Right Thing cast Aiello as a pizzeria operator in a black neighborhood of Brooklyn, the movie climaxing with a riot that destroys his eatery. “This is my pizzeria!” he cried. Lee had first offered the role to Robert De Niro, but Aiello’s performance brought him an Oscar nomination for supporting actor.

Among his other movies: Fort Apache, the Bronx (as a cop who threw a boy from a building), Once Upon a Time in America, Harlem Nights, Ruby (as Jack Ruby) and City Hall. He also appeared in TV miniseries, including “The Last Don,” “A Woman Named Jackie” and in the 1985-86 police series “Lady Blue". It was Aiello who played Madonna’s father in the pop icon’s “Papa Don’t Preach” video.

A child of New York’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood, Aiello retained the pugnacity he learned on city streets. “During the early times in my acting career, I would fight at the drop of a hat,” he said in 1985. “I was very hungry. If there were obstacles, I tried to remove them.” He added that sometimes he engaged in fistfights with actors after work because of incidents during filming or rehearsals.

Daniel Louis Aiello Jr. was born June 20, 1933, to Italian parents. His father, a laborer, left the family of seven children, and Daniel started working at age 9 selling newspapers, working in a grocery store and bowling alley, shining shoes and loading trucks. In his teenage years, he joined a street gang and, he claimed, engaged in burglary and safe-cracking. He dropped out of high school before graduating, got married in 1955 and joined the Army. After three years in the service, he worked at several factory jobs, landing as a baggage man at Greyhound. The ambitious Aiello rose to become president of the transit union. “I wanted to become a politician,” he told a reporter in 1995. “I always thought that I could talk, that people liked me, that I can represent them.” But when Greyhound accused him of starting a wildcat strike and the union leaders agreed, Aiello quit his job.

He worked at one job after another, and in 1970 was hired as a bouncer at the New York comedy club, Improvisation. One night, he was asked to act as an assistant emcee. “It was no big deal; it was just ‘Danny, go up and announce the acts,’” he recalled in 1997. “There was a little bantering between acts, and I kept that short. I was terrified.” Yet Aiello soon branched out, playing small roles in the movies Bang the Drum Slowly and The Godfather, Part II, and as the bartender lead in a musical play “Lamppost Reunion.” Starting in 1980 he averaged three films a year, plus appearances in theater and television. Off-Broadway, he appeared in “The Shoemaker” in 2011.

Aiello and his wife of more than 60 years, Sandy, lived in Ramsey, New Jersey. He also is survived by three children and 10 grandchildren: Rick, Jamie and Stacy. A fourth son, stuntman and stunt coordinator Danny Aiello III, died in May 2010 of pancreatic cancer.

https://apnews.com/8372fc19bd0dda4ed7c78752df674b40
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA Plain Sight.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	58936   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA Pick-Up.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	58937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA January.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	58938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA Once.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	58949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DA Dinner Rush.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	58950  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Another incredible actor taken from us much too soon...loved him in Do the Right Thing,Moonstruck and The Purple Rose of Cairo...RIP

As Horse in Bang the Drum Slowly (1973, John D. Hancock)

As Tony Rosato with Michael V. Gazzo in The Godfather Part II (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)

As Danny LaGattuta with Woody Allen in The Front (1976, Martin Ritt)

As Sal Carvello with Jill Eikenberry and James Caan in Hide in Plain Sight (1980, James Caan)

As Morgan in Fort Apache, The Bronx (1980, Daniel Petrie)

As Police Chief Aiello in Once Upon A Time in America (1984, Sergio Leone)

As Monk with Jeff Daniels and Mia Farrow in The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985, Woody Allen)

As Papa with Madonna in the "Papa Don't Preach" music video (1986, James Foley)

As Phil in The Pick-Up Artist (1987, James Toback)

As Conti with Scott Glenn in Man on Fire (1987, Élie Chouraqui)

As Johnny Cammareri with Cher, Nicolas Cage, Vincent Gardenia, Olympia Dukakis, and Julie Bovasso in Moonstruck (1987, Norman Jewison)

As Vincent Alcoa in The January Man (1989, Pat O'Connor)

As Sal with Giancarlo Esposito in Do the Right Thing (1989, Spike Lee)

As Phil Cantone in Harlem Nights (1989, Eddie Murphy)

As Louis in Jacob's Ladder (1990, Adrian Lyne)

As Tommy Five-Tone with Bruce Willis in Hudson Hawk (1991, Michael Lehmann)

As Frank Pesce, Sr. with Frank Pesce and Anthony LaPaglia in 29th Street (1991, George Gallo)

As Joe Bella in Once Around (1991, Lasse Hallström)

As Carmine Rasso with Jean Smart in Mistress (1992, Barry Primus)

As Jack Ruby in Ruby (1992, John Mackenzie)

As Harry Stone in The Pickle (1993, Paul Mazursky)

As Tony in Léon: The Professional (1994, Luc Besson)

As Frank Anselmo in City Hall (1996, Harold Becker)

As Dosmo Pizzo with James Spader in 2 Days in the Valley (1996, John Herzfeld)

As Louis Cropa with Kirk Acevedo in Dinner Rush (2000, Bob Giraldi)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I mainly know him from Do The Right Thing, Leon: the Professional and 2 Days in the Valley. He was great in all of them.

R.I.P

Suspect's Reviews

Leon and Hudson Hawk sprang to mind immediately, is 2 days in the valley worth checking out?
I loved Two Days in the Valley....that movie was a lot of fun, standout performance from James Spader.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As Joe Bella in Once Around (1991, Lasse Hallström)
You know I love everything about Once Around.
R.I.P. to a great one.

Leon and Hudson Hawk sprang to mind immediately, is 2 days in the valley worth checking out?
I loved Two Days in the Valley....that movie was a lot of fun, standout performance from James Spader.
It's now on my list, thank you

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Danny as Danny Garino and Jackie Chan as Billy Wong in The Protector (James Glickenhaus, 1985)

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Damn, I grew up watching this guy. Can't believe he's gone. RIP.

Movie Forums Extra
RIP

Only just found out about this. Was a fine actor who seemed to get pidgeonholed somewhat. RIP.

My mind immediately went to that epic Rod Steiger rant in January Man, which he unleashes and Danny Aiello is on the recieving end of it.