Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Anthony Russo, Joe Russo

- Decent movie with great scenes especially the ending scene which is fantastic in many ways. I feel bored the whole first half of it than it starts to get interesting. I like the look of Hawkeye aka Ronin he is badass, Captain Marvel is a great character and like I said it's a good ending for some characters and the Marvel fans. Not a bad watch.

The Bouncer (aka Lucas) 2018

More like this please JCVD

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Make a better place
The Bouncer (aka Lucas) 2018

More like this please JCVD

Was thinking of watching it but somebody told me it's not in English, it's French or something. Is that true?

If it is, is there too much talk, do I need subtitles?

Was thinking of watching it but somebody told me it's not in English, it's French or something. Is that true?

If it is, is there too much talk, do I need subtitles?
Yes it is a French film and there is French, English and Flemish and you need subtitles but it's not really wordy and very easy to follow, in fact Van Damme hardly ever speaks!

China 9, Liberty 37 (1978)

If I were a character who looked like Warren Oates, and I was married to a girl who looked like Jenny Agutter, I would never invite a guy played by any actor named Fabio to spend the night. That would be just asking for trouble but of course that's what happens in this Western.

Weekend re-watches:

John Woo's masterpiece...still riveting from start to finish...

My morbid fascination with this movie continues...I keep hoping I'll find something I like about it and every time I watch it, it just gets worse. I love the way Audrey Landers disappears during one number when the dancing gets too real for her.

In a Lonely Place (1950) by Nicholas Ray

Freedom for Us (1931) by René Clair

The Lady Eve (1941) by Preston Sturges

The Mule (2018) by Clint Eastwood
+

Captain Marvel (2019) by Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden

Shudder is now streaming Nicolas Winding Refn's Pusher trilogy, which I only became aware of when the 2012 British remake, which I have not seen, came out. I hate myself for taking this long to watch this - amazing low level gangster film. Can't wait to check out the other two.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile was ok, I guess. I really can't add too much criticism to it.

Shudder is now streaming Nicolas Winding Refn's Pusher trilogy, which I only became aware of when the 2012 British remake, which I have not seen, came out. I hate myself for taking this long to watch this - amazing low level gangster film. Can't wait to check out the other two.
The trilogy is one of the best things ever made. Seen the entire thing at least 3 times.

Re-watch. Very well acted.

Not a huge Queen fan, but terrific movie. Rami Malek amazing as Mercury.

OMG, over-rated & over-hyped much? I think this is the 1st movie Lanthimos has directed, but not written? Three female leads excellent, but a movie totally without merit.

Very meh. Waste of the talents of the 3 lead actors.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Rootwood (Marcus Walz, 2018): A Blair Witch-esque film about two podcast hosts and their friend going out into the titular forest after being hired by a Hollywood producer to do a documentary on a creature called The Wooden Devil. Starts out a bit slow, but the tension does build up, but its the last 10 minutes that brings a sense of shock value.

oney (Park Noo-Ri, 2019): This film could be seen in a triple feature with Wall Street and Boiler Room. Similar theme: young stockbroker finds his way on the high road by potentially illegal means. However, here, the man who hires him, known as simply "The Ticket" is quite sinister and goes to great lengths to keep his investments intact. Yoo Ji-Tae, the villain of "Oldboy" is once again great.

The Merry Gentleman (2008)

Despite a confounding title, Michael Keaton's first directing effort is a very nicely done film, with good cinematography, atmosphere and pacing.

Keaton stars as a hitman who works as a tailor, and who also romances suicide. He arranges a meeting with a shy office worker (Kelly MacDonald) who has seen him at a distance following a hit, and a unique relationship develops from there. Kelly is at her best "oh gosh" shy, but spunky self. Bobby Cannavale plays her abusive ex-husband to great effect. And Tom Bastounes does a nice job as an intuitive detective.

It's perplexing why this film got an "R" rating, as there really is no rough language, and the minimal violence is very tame by modern standards. The ending is not my favorite type, but it is gratifying.

"Gentleman" is one of those small films that can be missed, but is a very watchable and impressive picture. Available for free on Amazon and other streaming sources.

Doc's rating: 6/10