Game of Thrones: Season 8, The Final Season (spoilers)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I feel like we'll see Arya with a Lannister face taking out Cersei. Fulfilling two prophecies in a weird way (Cersei's eye colour is green and being killed by a little brother). The little brother could be either one as they were both born AFTER her.

Two birds one stone.

Although, that gives Arya all the best kills in this whole series, ha.
Can you repeat what the red witch said to Arya regarding the color of eyes? I missed it and don't really want to scan through just for that. I imagine it has to do with the witch's prediction in Cersei's childhood flashback, but I don't remember what was said there either.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I really hope that something has been missed (rather, hidden from the audience), regarding the dynamic between Bran and the Night King. first, I think in any other context, I would be totally satisfied with how things ended. That's ended. I still have my issues with previously listed complaints. But this isn't just any 80's action flick with 2-dimensional cardboard villains. GoT OPENED with the White Walkers. That was the implied evil of this world. We spent nearly a season's worth of episodes watching Bran's character evolve for some greater purpose, also heavily implied for some defense against the Night King. We see him worg Hodor in a brilliant tragedy, showing just how powerful Bran can be and how powerful he COULD be if he could just survive long enough to learn more of himself and his strengths. Last night he worged about 8 ravens. Someone else saved the day. Though exciting, it hurts my head when I start to think about the outline of it all. I figured what would happen would eventually happen, but I kind of feel like a few bits maybe should have come to pass, first.
I felt the exact same way about the Night King and Jon Snow - you build this suggestion that Jon is sooooo important that he has to be resurrected from the dead to fight the Night King, and the Night King ends up being mostly an empty threat.

Apparently the new big theory now is that Bran is the LURD of DA LIGHT - I don't buy it, Bran can't be ****ing everyone.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'd read many weeks ago that the showrunners always prefer natural lighting as much as possible. Their goal has always been to avoid anyone thinking, "Oh, look how THEY LIT this scene!" So, whether or not that works to their detriment in night scenes, it's a choice they've always made since the beginning. Watching in a darkened room helps.

I assume Jon's resurrection has more to do with his being Aegon Targaryen than to be the one who kills the Night King.

I didn't have any trouble with Arya's sudden appearance. I immediately leapt to the conclusion that her stealth skills have finally had their proper use. And, WAS the Night King surrounded by his own kind? I saw a bunch, but not SO many that they were insurmountable for someone as eerily stealthy as Arya. That's precisely why they showed us her abilities in the library: to remind us just how quiet and stealthy she can be.

I'm not saying there isn't some stretching of believability going on here. But I'd just chalk it up to things like the fast-travel the show's been doing since they got past Martin's books. (For one, how did Theon get to Winterfell so damned fast, right?) Arya's stealth felt a lot easier to swallow than the fact that Melisandre showed up MINUTES before the attack started. How did she know? Oh, and probably more fast-travel for her too.

I'm quite relieved that the Night King battle is over... because what has kept us watching and discussing this show for so long is more about the political machinations of all these characters. Whether or not they pointed to this epic battle in season one (they did), nobody ever said they had to end the very last episode with it. Heck, they dragged out the Winter Is Coming narrative until three episodes from the end of the entire series. That's pretty close. I see these last three episodes as a sort of huge denouement where the chess pieces will sort themselves out. It is, after all, called Game of Thrones. Whether or not they've *also* been leading us to the Night King battle is not enough to pull me away. They've also been telling us since season one, episode one that the Iron Throne is being fought over. Constantly.

Narratively, I don't see any disconnect in how they're handling which battle comes first or last. The White Walker battle *had* to come first, in order to make any political battles urgent. Otherwise, anyone squabbling over the Iron Throne (Cersei, I'm lookin' at you!) at a time like this would seem foolish and petty.

But now the final Game of Thrones is on.

And I'm ready.

p.s. Hope you're all done mocking the googly-eyed Arya now! Huh!

Two more stray thoughts (as I do a rewatch right now):

1. The eerie dark confusion of the battle scene actually made it more tense for me. Wait, was that person dead? Who just got stabbed? WHERE IS EVERYONE? It felt MUCH more like a real night battle, unaided by modern lights, would have been.

2. I agree that Yoda's idea of Arya using a wight face would have been slightly better. But did any of us not have a moment of delighted YAY! when Arya saved the day? They'd shown us all our favorite characters about to snuff it. What could save any of them? Killing the Night King. We were all watching Jon battle to get to Bran... and that served as the perfect distraction. From a storytelling angle, it was brilliant bait-and-switch.

3. If any story needed a cool-down period after a battle like that, it's this one. Too many characters vying for the throne to just end with, "Oh, good, humanity is saved!" We ALL would have been here asking, "Wait, what happens to the Iron Throne? What about Aegon? Does Cersei get killed? Where is Cleganebowl??" So, we'll get both. The fact that the first epic battle for humankind came first, or came an episode or two earlier than you might have liked, seems petty and irrelevant to me.

And yes, that's three thoughts, not two.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I feel like we'll see Arya with a Lannister face taking out Cersei. Fulfilling two prophecies in a weird way (Cersei's eye colour is green and being killed by a little brother). The little brother could be either one as they were both born AFTER her.

Two birds one stone.

Although, that gives Arya all the best kills in this whole series, ha.
Can you repeat what the red witch said to Arya regarding the color of eyes? I missed it and don't really want to scan through just for that. I imagine it has to do with the witch's prediction in Cersei's childhood flashback, but I don't remember what was said there either.
Red Woman says this to Arya in...season 3 I think?

“I see a darkness in you, and in that darkness eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again."

Brown = Walder Frey
Blue = Night King
Green = Cersei Lannister.

The little brother thing was something told to her by the local witch when she was a kid.

Beautiful Queen, until a younger queen comes along = Danny or Margery

Outlive your golden haired children

Killed by younger brother.

You ready? You look ready.
I'm just glad that I was right. Winter did in fact come. Oh yeah. Boo-ya!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Red Woman says this to Arya in...season 3 I think?

“I see a darkness in you, and in that darkness eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again."

Brown = Walder Frey
Blue = Night King
Green = Cersei Lannister.

The little brother thing was something told to her by the local witch when she was a kid.

Beautiful Queen, until a younger queen comes along = Danny or Margery

Outlive your golden haired children

Killed by younger brother.
Thank you!

hm. In that case, you think it's possible that one of those three might have been the other low ranking Faceless Man cult that chased Arya down when blind? I don't know if order is strict, but that could be a backdoor that stops Arya, especially considering Cersei's witch prophesy.

Jamie will have to decide who is he loyal too. Killing him now would have been a waste.

I'm glad the Night King was killed soon. We have now 3 eps for the main event (Lannisters vs Starks/Targaeryan). It would always come to this!

Jamie broke loyalty when he went north, part of the theme of GOT is you don't get direct confrontations. I feel like Jamie's story was resolved in episode 2 of this season and damnit I want Tormund and Brienne to have those monster babies!

Episode 3 - Jamie
Episode 4 - no one
Episode 5 - Cersi
Episode 6 - Dany the "Mad Queen"

I'm less inclined than ever to think Jaime will be the one to kill Cersei. I think her being pregnant with his child will prevent him from being able to kill her.

That leaves us with Jon (no, even if he is a Targaryen with a right to the throne--he doesn't really want it), Dany (probably not, she'd let someone else do her killing for her), Arya (Cersei's still on her List), or Tyrion (he *might* have problems killing his pregnant sister, but I wouldn't put it past him).

The Hound will be too busy prepping for Cleganebowl. I could see him taking out Qyburn, though.

I'm thinking Arya is the best bet... except that she just got her Big Moment. Is she allowed two of the biggest moments in the series?

Also, let's remember that somewhere in all this, Bronn is toting around a crossbow with a Lannister's name on it.

Ha! I wondered why Qyburn came to tell Bronn about the crossbow and the gold bit in the first episode. Turns out the actor playing Bronn used to date the actress playing Cersei, and their breakup was so nasty that they refuse to appear in scenes together!

http://www.teddyfeed.com/trending/ga...al-life-ob/25/

I loved watching this on my OLED tv! Perfect blacks! I mean, black was just black... grey was black... blue was, uh, black... EVERYTHING WAS F*CKING BLACK!!! aaargh

For real though, it's ridiculous that the network making and releasing the world's biggest television show ever doesn't stream in proper-looking HD quality, let alone 4K/HDR (which Netflix, Amazon, and every-freaking-body does by now). It's such a shame for a huge show like this and an obviously beautiful episode to be ruined like this because of compression, banding and whatnot. Can't wait to see this episode for real once it gets released in proper HD and 4K/HDR.

As for the episode, I thought it was an awesome fight, but it's a shame the writing has become so bad for the last few seasons (at least season 7-8), where the action and spectacle and wow-factor completely overshadows good dialogue, proper set-ups and pay-offs and whatnot. I like the epicness of it all, but I really miss good ol' GoT. Looks like this entire season is all-fighting... I hope for some intense dialogue for a more character-climatic end.

I loved watching this on my OLED tv! Perfect blacks! I mean, black was just black... grey was black... blue was, uh, black... EVERYTHING WAS F*CKING BLACK!!! aaargh

For real though, it's ridiculous that the network making and releasing the world's biggest television show ever doesn't stream in proper-looking HD quality, let alone 4K/HDR (which Netflix, Amazon, and every-freaking-body does by now). It's such a shame for a huge show like this and an obviously beautiful episode to be ruined like this because of compression, banding and whatnot. Can't wait to see this episode for real once it gets released in proper HD and 4K/HDR.

As for the episode, I thought it was an awesome fight, but it's a shame the writing has become so bad for the last few seasons (at least season 7-8), where the action and spectacle and wow-factor completely overshadows good dialogue, proper set-ups and pay-offs and whatnot. I like the epicness of it all, but I really miss good ol' GoT. Looks like this entire season is all-fighting... I hope for some intense dialogue for a more character-climatic end.
This is precisely why we need these three episodes *after* the battle at Winterfell. We need to go out on the character-driven beauty that is/was Game of Thrones at its best (when they were still using Martin's books).

If you have 20 minutes, I encourage you to watch this theory on why Tyrion will rule the Iron Throne. I thought it was a fluff clickbait piece, but it's 20 minutes of some solid stuff that made me go "Hmmm..."

Not saying I completely agree, but I'm swayable on this one.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/28/heres-w...id=20581267129

This is precisely why we need these three episodes *after* the battle at Winterfell. We need to go out on the character-driven beauty that is/was Game of Thrones at its best (when they were still using Martin's books).
Sure, we can hope. But 3 episodes in and we haven’t got it yet. And the teaser for next episode seems to be leading into yet another battle to come. So the question is how much time will actually be given to dialogue-driven scenes and character conclusions not involving death and destruction?

I’ll check out the link.

Well in episode 4 there has to be a funeral for all those who fell at winterfell and one hopes burn all those bodies just to be safe with dragon fire. Cersei isnt going to the north because she once said invading the north you wouldnt win because it was to vast and open a land scape. She will wait for them to come or they will kidnap someone and lure them to kings landing.

First of all, I disagree with all this "Deus ex Arya" stuff---like @Austruck has said repeatedly, her stealth was laid out repeatedly for us, so her sneaking into the Godswood past the White Walkers didn't bother me----there was a moment right before it happened when one of the White Walkers felt wind blowing in his hair and turned around to look behind him---was this something to do with him feeling Arya "flying" past him (on quiet feet)? Everyone (every "thing" else) were so intent on what the Night King was doing, his WWs, the wights, that Arya just got past them. I think they were in a daze when they parted to let the NK in. They just stood there to let Theon charge the WK...it's almost as if, like someone said, his hubris was what brought him down. He basically was thinking, "I'm in charge now" and nobody challenged that. Even though the show led us to believe that it was Jon who would kill him (like Melisandre, perhaps), the bait-and-switch worked perfectly for me. The Arya moment worked perfectly for me. Yes, it was an audience-pleasing moment and dammit, I wanted to be pleased by that point in the episode. (plus, Melisandre did pep up Arya and we plainly see Arya going off for something). So, no, not totally Deus ex Machina or Arya, at least for me (and Austruck).

I did kind of laugh at the "Sam crying his way through every battle" or whatever it was---but, poor guy, he's a sensitive soul, and he did fight and kill a bunch of wights, so he was due his tears.

Now, to things I loved about the episode. Yes, it was dark, but it was war and it was chaos, and the Night King was using winter weather and darkness as his ally, so I believed it. I had a grandfather who fought in the trenches in WWI and the way he talked about it, it was indeed like this, madness to the point where you didn't know who you were killing as you were being overrun. Sure, I would have liked it a bit brighter but it might have killed the whole point. It just made it more scary and effective when you didn't know what was happening and who was triumphing---but let's face it, it was the NK who was triumphing almost the whole way.

I loved the NK mocking Jon when he raised his wights around Jon and smirked at him. And damn if Jon didn't kill every stinking one of them before Dany and Drogon killed the rest. But he is a badass in battle, that's been proven time and again. That's his true strength, not sitting on a throne and I believe he'll tell Dany that because she looks mostly happy from next weeks previews. I'm sure he's told her.

Whether or not she should have landed her dragon on the field of battle, I still loved it. She was trying to help her man and that clouded her judgement, proving she is not a heartless, power-mad beeyotch. And I thought it was great when Drogon went up into the air with all the wights clinging to him, twirling and shaking them off. Nice visual.

The people who got their heroic (at least to some extent) deaths: Ser Jorah---loved his big moment, killing wights when he was half-dead himself. And his, "I'm hurt" utterance. Dying words perhaps, but maybe repeating that he's hurt that Dany didn't chose him, both as Hand and as lover? He was a badass in my book! And her crying over her dear friend who stuck with her all the way. Then Drogon, feeling her pain, coming down and wrapping around her like a faithful pet. I almost lost it there, pet lover that I am. P.S. -Dany got her hands dirty at last, killing a few wights herself. I was pleased to see that.

Brienne, Jamie, and Pod, all backed against a wall and killing everything that came at them, even when they were dogpiled.

Beric telling the Hound to get back into the fight by pointing to Arya and saying that she's not giving up, which did indeed pump him back up. And the Hound and Beric saving Arya from the wights. Greatness.

Viserion blasting blue flame everywhere and Jon trying to get around him, then finally facing him down right before Viserion collapses after his master dies. It makes me wonder: Jon is Targaryen, so I guess he can survive dragon flame or fire like Dany, but would he be able to survive Viserion's blue flame? We'll never know but it was interesting---And the Night King surviving Drogon's flames---makes you wonder if he was ancient Targaryen? Hmm.

Lady Lyanna Mormont standing bold before that giant, getting in his grip, getting crushed, but still poking out his eye---I loved her character to the very end. I'm glad, that after we see her eyes turn blue, that things ended before she could do damage.

I did want to see more of Gendry---to see him swing that hammer and wipe out more than a few wights but, oh well, he was shown smashing a few as they came over the battlements. And at least he survived.

Sansa and Tyrion in the crypts and he kissing her hand like the gentleman he's become (all his "get back to whoring" talk aside).

Just a small moment but in the aftermath of the crypt troubles, seeing Varys holding the hand of the little girl that was going to fight for Gilly. Nice.

The dragon fights in the air. Jon doing a crash-landing with Rhaegal in the aftermath. Glad the previews show that Rhaegal survived. The dragons flying high above the clouds. Beautiful scene, only to have Viserion break it up with his blue flame.

Everyone asking where Ser Davos was during the battle. EDIT: We see Ser Davos on the battlements, looking bloody with a sword in his hand after Arya does her spinning and killing with the weapon Gendry made for her. They lock eyes for a sec but that's all it shows of him being in the battle to my knowledge. Then him watching Melisandre remove her necklace and die old and worn out, denying him the kill.

Bran warging into the ravens---they did go up and see what the Night King was doing---I don't know if they stayed with him all the way but it seems like that---I mean what else could he do? Chat with Theon and company as they fought for him? I think he did the only thing he could do, warg and not be a distraction to his protectors. Loved his words to Theon: "You're a good man, Theon. Thank you."

In truth, I did think Melisandre had more story to go, with the backstory of Azor-Ahai and what he has to do with his sword. Maybe that will never happen.

My thoughts for now. Was rapt the whole episode and tensed-up as hell. Arya, my favorite character, let me relax a bit at the end after I shouted, "Yes!"

And I can't wait for the next episode, even if it's all talk. I know there will be burials and/or funeral pyres. Be sure and watch the previews on slow-play if you're a preview watcher that is. You'll see some stuff. Heh-heh.