What should the next Mofo Top 100 Countdown be?

Tools    

What should the next Countdown be?
31.82%
14 votes
All Time Top 100
27.27%
12 votes
2000s
15.91%
7 votes
2010s
2.27%
1 votes
Action
2.27%
1 votes
Black & White Films
2.27%
1 votes
Comedy
0%
0 votes
Fantasy
4.55%
2 votes
Foreign Lanuage
0%
0 votes
Musicals
6.82%
3 votes
Noir
4.55%
2 votes
War
2.27%
1 votes
Other
44 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Welcome to the human race...
Those were two separate concerns - the idea about what qualifies as an action movie is one that's definitely going to be harder to parse than the likes of horror or Western (the current rule seems to be relying on whether a film is classified as a certain genre on IMDb more than anything else, which I grant is at least some kind of concrete qualifying system). The remark about Under Siege is obviously more subjective and mostly to do with me being underwhelmed by the Seagal movies I've seen to the point where I found it genuinely surprising that one of them could get in over any Jackie Chan movie, especially considering Chan's commitment to doing his own stunts and constructing elaborate set-pieces to that effect that stick with me more than almost any action scene in Under Siege (the main thing I remember about an action movie should be the action, not just the villains hamming it up).

I don't think I've seen a Jackie Chan film I would rank over Under Siege which is the best of the Die Hard ripoffs while Jackie is clearly the fourth best Bruce Lee ripoff

I accidentally voted for a 2010s-list while I meant to vote for a 2000s-list. We need to do both sometime in the future but it makes more sense to do the 2000s list first, imo.

I'm always in for a general top 100 list as well, though. Should be interesting.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Don't think the vote has changed at all over the past week.

Right now it looks like All-Time will win no doubt... So what was the verdict on bumping up the ballot to 50 entries?*

I think it makes sense since most people will find it much easier to pick their movies and 25 is not many. But it will also make a better list since more movies will be voted for and thereby the final list will be all the better for it.

Right now it looks like All-Time will win no doubt... So what was the verdict on bumping up the ballot to 50 entries?*

I think it makes sense since most people will find it much easier to pick their movies and 25 is not many. But it will also make a better list since more movies will be voted for and thereby the final list will be all the better for it.
Yeah, the list would be more representative of the board's thoughts on certain films if the ballot was 50.

Well, who's hosting?
Yeah, I could use a co-curator if nothing else!
I was beginning to wonder if you had changed your mind or if you were real busy lately. I think we're all anxious to get another Countdown going

What about @TheUsualSuspect for a co-curator, he had initially said he wanted to host the next countdown.

I mean, I'm willing to! Nobody else has stepped forward and people seem to like the idea, and this is sort of a special one, based around the 10-year anniversary of the first one, and the site's 20th year, so I have to admit it seems fitting.

If anyone really wants to I will gladly let them, but yeah, also fine sort of co-running it.

I mean, I'm willing to! Nobody else has stepped forward and people seem to like the idea, and this is sort of a special one, based around the 10-year anniversary of the first one, and the site's 20th year, so I have to admit it seems fitting.

If anyone really wants to I will gladly let them, but yeah, also fine sort of co-running it.
When you say co-running it, do you mean you'd be the head curator and others would assist? Or do you mean you'd like to do a part of it, but not oversea the whole thing? Or maybe a group project with several people working on different aspects of the countdown?

Basically there's: Promotion, Spreadsheet work, Graphics work.

It sounded like you were up for doing the all important ballots and spreadsheet? Maybe someone could volunteer to do graphics (which is a lot of work). I could help with promotion, which is what I've been doing with this thread I'm motivated to making this happen!

I'm open-minded on all those specifics, but I think the most obvious thing for me to definitely do the primary work on is promotion. I would like to take a crack at a graphics template, too. I guess my assumption is I'd mostly run it, but would really use some help with logistical work. Even if it's like "I built this little thing for you to enter the details into."

I'm tempted to build something for tabulation but I guess if the spreadsheet works, that might be overkill, unless it's actually still pretty tedious? Maybe a previous curator can weigh-in. If it's working really well and isn't that much work, then I think the best fit is for the co-curator to handle the basic tabulation, primarily.

I don’t find the spreadsheet tedious, though if we expand ballots to 50 entries you’ll have to expand it as well. I sent it to you, Yoda, so you can have a look yourself.

The poll is closed. It was open for a month and people voted by a majority to do an All Time Countdown. Let's get behind that idea and not go back into debate mode or we'll never get this one going. We will still do a 2010s in the near future

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'd be happy to assist in any way shape or form.

Suspect's Reviews

The poll is closed. It was open for a month and people voted by a majority to do an All Time Countdown. Let's get behind that idea and not go back into debate mode or we'll never get this one going. We will still do a 2010s in the near future
Was this just like a pre-emptive comment or did I miss something? I don't see anyone trying to debate anything.