Question on my new iPad Air

Tools    

Does anyone know how to get rid of the scroll bar showing immediately under movie forums.com? It shows where I have been lately. I don’t know what this bar is called, but I would like to get rid of it.

Can anyone help?

I don’t have anything open. I never had this bar on my other iPad Air.

Any clue what this bar might be called & then I could google for how to get rid of it.

Just looks like a normal tabs bar to me. Never heard a name for it.

See the X on the active tab (Movie Forums) in that screenshot? Clicking on that in the other tabs (should appear when you click on them) should close them, and the bar will expand the remaining tabs until you just have the one open. Should work the same as a desktop browser.

I assume you're just creating new tabs and leaving old ones open.

See the X on the active tab (Movie Forums) in that screenshot? Clicking on that in the other tabs (should appear when you click on them) should close them, and the bar will expand the remaining tabs until you just have the one open.
Okay, done that. So do I have to keep doing that? X’ing out all the time?

The alternative is to close them when you're initially done with them, or (this is what I do), simply go to the next site from the tab you're already in. IE: click on the URL bar rather than opening a new tab and leaving the old one behind.

Hard to answer more specifically without knowing exactly what's happening, though. I don't know if you're creating new tabs, or opening every link in a new tab, etc.

I feel so dense because I don’t understand what you are saying.

I go to different places by clicking on an app.

In that screenshot you are in an app, called Safari. It’s a browser. I guess you’re saying when you’re on a site and want to go to another you click on Safari again? If so, you can go to a new site just by clicking on the URL at the top and typing something in, either an address or a search term, and it’ll load in the tab you’re already using.

I guess you’re saying when you’re on a site and want to go to another you click on Safari again?
No, that’s not what I’m saying. If I want to go to another site I click on its app. Obviously if I don’t have an app for it I go back to Safari.

Oh, I see. So, if you add a website to your home page, it creates a shortcut. It looks like an app, but it's just a link really. Site owners can put a line of code on their page that tells the tablet what icon to use so it can look like an app.

I guess clicking on that creates a new tab, so if you had a tab left open from last time, it keeps it there, and if they never get closed, after awhile, you just have a bunch of them.

Oh, I see. So, if you add a website to your home page, it creates a shortcut. It looks like an app, but it's just a link really. Site owners can put a line of code on their page that tells the tablet what icon to use so it can look like an app.

I guess clicking on that creates a new tab, so if you had a tab left open from last time, it keeps it there, and if they never get closed, after awhile, you just have a bunch of them.
Right. Not every icon is actually an app. It just looks like an app, but actually is a shortcut.

I’ll just live with this. Odd that it doesn’t appear on my other iPad.

Chris, thanks for your help. I never can learn anything in theory. I really have to have someone physically show me. But, no biggie.