Tim Burton

Tools    

Name a good Tim Burton movie besides Edward Scissorhands.

When are people going to stop giving this guy millions to make crappy movies? He should be a set designer not a director.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Believe it or Not I liked Sleepy Hollow. Ed Wood was good and the Nightmare before Christmas. Pee Wees Big Adventure was hilarious and Big Fish was great. Im also looking forward to seeing Charlie and the Chocolate factory, so actually i have no idea what ur talking about him making crappy movies. And to say Edward Scissorhands is just GOOD is such an understatement. Edward Scissorhands has changed my life sooo much latley (I know its just a movie but its one that really got me thinkin) so actually I would consider Tim Burton one of my favorite Directors. Great Concepts, Good Imagery, what more could you ask for in a director?
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Originally Posted by sunfrog
Name a good Tim Burton movie besides Edward Scissorhands.
First of all, I despise Edward Scissorhands.

Second of all, Ed Wood is a truly great movie.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
First of all, I despise Edward Scissorhands.
Oh well,

I loved it and I love Ed Wood

Do you know my poetry?
Edward Scissorhands, Mars Attacks!, Batman, and Batman Returns were all very bad films in my opinion, though Batman wasn't as terrible as the rest of the bunch. Pee-wee's Big Adventure and Big Fish are just plain average, nothing special at all to them, but Ed Wood, now there's a film.

The man's made about two films worth seeing, but yes, he's very overrated.

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Mars Attacks! (1996)
Ed Wood (1994)
Batman Returns (1992)
Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Batman (1989)
Beetle Juice (1988)

Well of Tim Burtons good movies we've had Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood (ive never seen it but i always here good things) Batman, Batman Returns, and Beetle Juice. Then we have his flops Mar's Attacks, Planet of the Apes, and Sleepyhollow. Ive never seen or heard much about Pee-Wee's so ill leave it outta this. Nightmare Before Christmas he didn't direct but did the story so we cant really count that even thought that movie was AWSOME. So we have 6 great movies and 3 flops not counting his more obscure works. Also Corpse Bride and Charlie and Chocolate Factory look kickass. I would say that's a pretty good record of work.

But im alittle biased since he's one of my favoirte directors of all time.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Ed Wood is a truly great movie.
True 'dat boo.

I'm certainly not a fan of Tim Burton, but I don't think he's a hack either. I quite enjoy Pee-wee's Big Adventure (guilty pleasure), Mars Attacks! (huh, another guilty pleasure), and Sleepy Hollow.

Do I think he should be worshiped...hell no. But at least he sticks with his artistic vision time and time again.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The People's Republic of Clogher
I haven't seen Ed Wood in years - possibly due to my complete apathy towards Burton's work.

Time for a rewatch.

Bro, Ed Wood is the only film in Burton’s repertoire that is completely un-burtonesque. It’s a really good film all by itself.

Give it another chance and get back to us.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Sorry, but I really like Tim Burton and his movies. Pee Wee is the only one I haven't seen. To understand his style, you have to remember that he was heavily influenced by the dark, gothic Vincent Price movies of his childhood.
I think Burton is a little too dark for a lot of people, he has a very bleak, macabre outlook on life through his movies, and he is the perfect foil for Johnny Depp, who seems to share some of Burton's outlook and opinions.
He is a very untypical Hollywood director, maybe a little old fashioned, slightly weird and eccentric, but I guess it comes down to individual choice.
David Lynch is another director that people either love or hate, IMO, I'm not a huge fan of Lynch, but I appreciate that he is trying to do something different from the usual Hollywood fare.
Granted " Planet of the Apes " sucked, and I'm not a huge fan of " Batman Returns ", mainly due to Danny De Vito's Penguin, but overall, I think Burton's body of work is a worthy change from the norm.
Personally I would love to see Burton's version of Frankenstein, Dracula or the Wolfman, recent re-makes of these films have been very dissapointing, and IMO Burton's style and vision would make him the ideal choice for any subsequent re-makes.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I am having a nervous breakdance
I too think Ed Wood is the only really good Burton film I've seen (not counting Nightmare Before Christmas). I know I should see Big Fish but every time I'm at the rental store holding it in my hand I always feel that I'm not up for it. He does have a neat style but seems to lose himself in it time after time. Sleepy Hollow, for instance, starts really promising but I lost interest after a while. Mars Attacks! annoyed me more than it did anything else to me. The other Burton films I've seen didn't leave enough mark on me for me to say anything special about them. Except for Nicholson's portrait of Joker in Batman. Brilliant.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

A system of cells interlinked
I really enjoy Sleepy Hollow. I like Edward Scissorhands, but don't love it. Ed Wood is fantastic. Mars Attacks... so much fun, hard to not like it. Beetle Juice was a big fav back in high school, but I haven't seen it in years. Big Fish was touching, and worth watching if just for Albert Finney. Being a Batman fan, I like Batman and Batman Returns, but Batman Begins is better than both.

Say.....what about Planet of the Apes?

I'm a fan of Burton. I think in some ways, he's become a one trick horse though. All of his movies are so burtonesque (with the exception of ed wood and some of big fish), what with all the twisty trees and what not. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy his films, i love Big Fish and Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands, but i'm interested to see what he would do with another movie like Ed Wood, where he can't depend on his cartoony sets and acid-trip colors.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think Ed Wood is pretty burtonesque if burtonesque is a way to describe style and tone. It's just that it's better than the others, imo.

And, yes, Sed. What about Planet of the Apes?

Okay I'll give you Ed Wood. I liked it too. I didn't know about Pee Wee's Big Adventure but mostly that was Pee Wee who made it good.

PeeWee will always stick out in my mind because we have a video of my older brother doing the dance on the table when he was three years old.
Oh, I thought Big Fish was good, as well as Edward Scissorhands, but I agree with most of you that Ed Wood is his best.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Ed Wood was a good film but i dont know how anyone can say that its better than Edward Scissorhands. I actually never liked Ewdard Scissorhands that much until i sat down one day (after not having seen it for years) and watched it and really thought about it. Since then it has been one of my favorite films of all time. Just think of it this way. Edward is so innocent and hes always being pushed away into lonliness. He makes beautiful art for everyone for free and everyone still screws him over. But in the end he still makes it snow for them even though they did all those terrible things to him. And he made the difference. Now that truly is a GREAT film.