Tim Burton

Tools    

I just don't get it, is he a robot? Also, why SCISSOR hands? There are much better tools to use for fingers, sadistic prick. Visually stunning, but non-sensical.
Tim Burton is overrated, I get so sick of his emo, goth artsy bulls**t.

You ready? You look ready.
Say.....what about Planet of the Apes?
Oh god, speak of the devil. I watched that the other day (a guilty pleasure of mine). You know what was worse than the actual movie? The director commentary. It was *horrible*.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I am a very large fan of Tim Burton, and I believe at times there are only a certain set of boundaries he places on himself. Some of (in my opinion) the greatest films he's made are;

- Sweeny Todd
- Sleepy Hollow
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (pretty whimsical but I enjoyed its charm, very good for the kids by the way)

- Big Fish

Now that is one of my most favorite films of his, just one of the sweetest most imaginative of little things to sit and enjoy. I absolutley fell in love with it. Out of this world for me.

- Ed Wood

Aside from Big Fish one of my favorite films he's ever done. This is one great film that I should say you certainly see before saying settling on Edward Scissorhands and assuming that there are no great films in his line-up.

I really wish some would lighten up on the guy. I mean, I hear all the time that his films don't live up to anything and that they only fall into the category of mere spectacular production design and a feast for the eyes. He may appeal to the 'lost and misunderstood' youth who look to him as their big strange mentor, whereas most of these kids would be called 'emo/goth' and that they flock to him because of his eccentric approach to the business. I have to say that I highly doubt that this man's sole purpose for all he has done was to show off an 'emo/goth' image because these so-called 'outcasts' like him for it. I tend to scoff at that. I honestly think he's one heck of an artist.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Whenever the subject of Tim Burton comes up I will usually reply that I am not a fan of his. I really don't think that his quirky style always works. Having said that however I did like: Beetlejuice (1988) which was very funny, Corpse Bride (2005) suprised me how much I liked it, and Mars Attacks! (1996) was a decent satire of '50's sci-fi flicks. I haven't seen Ed Wood or Sweeny Tood yet. Scissorhands only saw once and never made up my mind about it. Hated the Batman flicks and POTAs. Generally I think Burton is an aquired taste. He is certainly no hack. He is a director with a certain personal style that he is willing to explore and we need more directors with that kind of commitment.

lol i nwas obcesed with beetle juice when i was about 8 or 9 so i cant really agree. But on the other foot, i do believe this guy is overated.

lol i also despise my friends hitting me with the old "But he directed "Nightmare Before Christmas" BS" lol NO!!! i bash this guy alot to my friends as they talk the guy up beyond belief.

Sweeney Todd is easily his best film. Though Nightmare before Christmas was pretty good - though I haven't seen it in so long.

Batman was just god awfull.

Sweeney Todd is easily his best film. Though Nightmare before Christmas was pretty good - though I haven't seen it in so long.

Batman was just god awfull.
lol the Irony of this is my last post.

Anyway, Tim Burton DID NOT Direct "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

I happen to really like Burton. The only movie he's directed I didn't like was Planet Of The Apes. As far as writing I love Nightmare Before Christmas and he produced James And The Giant Peach which is good, little more kid friendly but good.

He's currently working on Alice In Wonderland, should be awesome.

tim burton and johnny dep are lovers

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
lol the Irony of this is my last post.

Anyway, Tim Burton DID NOT Direct "The Nightmare Before Christmas"
Calm down, meatwadsprite didn't say that Burton directed Nightmare Before Christmas, though I can see how most people believe that because it's 'Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas', he did the original drawings, plot, characters - so it is his. I do feel a little bad for Henry Selick the actual director for never getting any credit.

I happen to be a big fan of Burton. Pee Wee was a favourite childhood movie of mine and I'm pretty obsessed with Nightmare. I kick myself for not having seen Ed Wood yet, i didn't love Planet of the Apes so much and Mars Attacks was ok. I adore Beetlejuice and Sleepy Hollow.

A lot of people think that Burton just does the same kind of thing over and over, gothic stuff with Johnny Depp. They have a good working relationship and I enjoy seeing what they're gonna do next - Scorsese has the same thing going on with Robert Di Nero and Leonardo Di Caprio and Woody Allen constantly cast Diane Keaton.

His work on Big Fish didn't feel like Burton at all; he has different sides to his creativity but there is no denying he has a definitive style.

The Corpse Bride... and several of his movies are wonderful, you just need to be able to get his style. I hear he's doing a remake of Alice in Wonderland, and I for one, can't wait.