Taxes: Can you claim pets?

Tools    

Can you claim your pets as dependants? Think about it, yyou pay for over half of their expenses. Why not?

Ha. Great question, Sam.

Anyway, I don't believe you can, but whether you can or not, the "why not?" part is easily answered: because tax credits generally exist to encourage something (or to discourage the alternative), and I cannot think of any compelling reason for the government to encourage pet ownership.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Who pays the rest of your pet's expenses?
lol! They do. They beg for scraps and eat bugs they find in the yard. Plus sometimes they sleep outside. Cats sometimes eat at the neighbor's house or eat birds and such.

Yoda, huh?
Taxes encourage stuff?

If pets were considered as dependants then I would never owe the goverment anything, as a matter-o-fact I could legally collect food stamps....my oh my I hope my cat has a litter of 12.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
It depends on whether you have animals as part of a business or not, like race horses.

A system of cells interlinked
I would think not. Which reminds me, some girl I was talking to the other day claimed that she wasn't sending money to help the people down south, but she was sending money to help the animals. Does anyone else see something slightly off about this?

"Oh, all those little cats drowning..."

Can't cats swim? What about the people drowning and starving!!!

I like animals, but I don't think I would place a house pet over a human life....

The people will live. The animals will most probably get rescued then be put to sleep because they're not wearing dogtags and it will be near impossible to find the owners. I'm sure the Humane Society building has been destroyed and if it hasn't there isn't enough room for all those animals. All those poor pets are about to get screwed, bigtime.

They should only put cats and republicans to sleep.

Why can you claim kids and not pets as dependants? Pets go to school, wear clothes, eat, etc.. And when they grow up they can join the workforce as seeing eye dogs or drug sniffers, actors, etc..

Which brings up another question. Where do scientists get their lab rats? Are there lab rat farms where they can buy them? just wondering.