Washington Redskins are changing their name and logo

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I had to bail out on reading all the posts, but let's just say this thread is getting pretty far out of range. It might be time to figure out exactly how far we want to veer out into topics that usually end up nuking threads. For the record, my vote is to get away from dead end identity politics, post haste!

EDIT: Looks like Yoda already addressed this while I was reading. I didn't see his most recent post until I refreshed by posting, myself.

Here's my take....

The Redskins name is being changed, not because most Native Americans are offended. BUT...because a large number of white people are embarrassed by it. It reminds whites of past discrimination. Changing the Redskins name is not about helping Native Americans, it's about erasing an embarrassment to white people.

Changing the Redskins name, and the BLM movement, and the term 'white privalge'...isn't about helping everyone and isn't about helping all groups of people. It's all about identity politics, blaming others and mostly about self serving and self promotion. At the core of all those, are people thinking only of themselves.

Humanity has a long ways to go before we think of everyone as equal AND are equally concerned about everyone.

*my post is a general statement about humanity and American society, it's not a direct reference to anyone in this thread.

No you are completely wrong, changing the Redskins name isn't about "white people" it's about companies and individuals not wanted to associate and sponsor a Prejudice name. It's also about distracting from the rumors of illegal activity and sexual misconduct from the organization.

Now personally as a football fan I feel like when a team has performed as poorly as the Redskins for the last 30 years it's time for the league to step in and remove the owner. And in this case as the name is a distraction and the team is an embarrassment the team should be retired and the League should redraw their conferences.

AFC

EAST
Bills
Jets
Patriots
Steelers

WEST
49ers
Rams
Chargers
Seahawks

SOUTH
Cowboys
Saints
Texans
Titans

NORTH
Packers
Vikings
Lions
Bears

NFC -

North East
Giants
Ravens
Eagles
Browns

South East
Buc's
Dolphins
Jaguars
Falcons

Mountain
Broncos
Chiefs
Raiders
Cardinals

Central
Carolina

Indianapolis
Washington
Cincinnati

Wait, you seriously think it's unreasonable for a black person to be offended by the n-word if a white person calls them by it?
I don't evaluate words based on who says them. If it's OK for a black person to use that word, it's OK for anyone to use that word.

It means the analogy is invalid, since the analogy was about "ban[ning]" things. If pointing out the difference does not change anything, there would be no reason to use the word "ban" in the first place. But of course it is worse, which is why it was used: to make the position sound worse than it is (consciously or otherwise). If I say "we should choose not to do X," it's obviously misleading to pretend I want to "ban" X.
I can see the point, yes. I still believe, though, that many people campaigning for "should" are in fact campaigning for "must". I also think that there's one big misunderstanding in this whole debate - I'm strictly speaking from an individual's point of view, not the state or other legislator.

It's no more a slippery slope than any other matter of degree. By this logic, prosecuting murder is a slippery slope since we allow exceptions for self-defense, and prosecute it more or less based on totally subjective (!) things like heat-of-the-moment passion compared to premeditation.
I disagree. There is no discernible degree in "reasonable offense". Murder (or killing in general, as you're referring to acts falling under multiple legal terms) is strictly defined. The definition is, in a sense, arbitrary but it exists and is possible to evaluate somewhat objectively.

Assessing reasonableness on matters of degree is not some wacky, risky idea: it's something we have to do everywhere all the time already. In fact, it's something people in this very thread are doing to argue against the change, when they bring up the Chiefs or Braves. They're clearly implying that those things would be less reasonable to change, and in so doing are making subjective value judgments that place different choices along a spectrum of reasonableness. You're doing it right now in assessing how reasonable my replies are (or aren't).
Being able to put something on a spectrum doesn't mean it's possible to find the point in that spectrum that counts as "reasonable enough". Different people place the tipping point in different locations. My main gripe with your position is the concept of "reasonable offense" that, to me, implies a knowable position on the spectrum.

You're also dodging my question about the religions.

Really? The difference seems obvious, and massive. It's why a person choosing not to criticize the government isn't scary, but the government forbidding them from doing so via force is. The distinction between a moral or ethical obligation and a legal one is why freedom works at all.
As I said, I'm speaking from an individual's perspective. The arguments remain more or less the same regardless if the person is arguing that something "should" happen versus something "must" happen (and like I said, I believe that many "should" demands are really "must" demands). Otherwise, I agree with the distinction between moral and legal obligations.

I don't evaluate words based on who says them. If it's OK for a black person to use that word, it's OK for anyone to use that word.
Respectfully, I don't think this withstands much scrutiny. Words are not objects or facts that are identical in all circumstances, they are a conveyor of ideas. The context changes which idea is being conveyed. Example: a child may hear an offensive term and repeat it with no idea what it means, and it would be nonsensical to react to that the same way you'd react to an adult who says it with full understanding of its meaning. Because the child is ignorant and means no harm, and the adult does. You take offense to their deliberate expression of hate (or, more charitably, your indifference to their emotional state).

Similarly, it's possible for a word to express solidarity in one context but hatred in another. This is just such a context.

I can see the point, yes. I still believe, though, that many people campaigning for "should" are in fact campaigning for "must". I also think that there's one big misunderstanding in this whole debate - I'm strictly speaking from an individual's point of view, not the state or other legislator.
Why would you respond to me, a specific person making a specific argument to you, but aim your dispute and reasoning at some non-specific group of people (an unverifiable and vague claim of "many") instead?

I disagree. There is no discernible degree in "reasonable offense". Murder (or killing in general, as you're referring to acts falling under multiple legal terms) is strictly defined. The definition is, in a sense, arbitrary but it exists and is possible to evaluate somewhat objectively.
You said it yourself: it's still arbitrary. I don't see how it's any less arbitrary than what I'm proposing. Perhaps it feels less arbitrary simply because there's a fairly broad consensus on it, but that's that's not how we measure arbitrariness.

The point is that making subjective judgments, or having to allow one thing and not another based on merely a matter of degree, is not some dangerous or unthinkable thing. It's a common and totally necessary thing, and we have to do it in situations where the stakes are much higher than sports teams' logos.

Being able to put something on a spectrum doesn't mean it's possible to find the point in that spectrum that counts as "reasonable enough". Different people place the tipping point in different locations. My main gripe with your position is the concept of "reasonable offense" that, to me, implies a knowable position on the spectrum.
It implies nothing more or less than an ability to judge things proportionally, and to consider precedent. That's it. I'm not even sure what the objection is, at this point. You seem to agree (as I think anyone must) that we can have opinions about whether someone's reaction to something is reasonable or not. And that's all this is. So what's left? Just the repeated observation that it won't be objective? Of course it won't. But that doesn't make this situation unique. We have to make non-empirical judgments (particularly about human behavior and matters of degree) all the time, as a society.

You're also dodging my question about the religions.
I assure you I'm not. In fact my initial reply was twice as long (and I still have it), but I realized that most of it was superseded by other bits. The religion question is just such a thing: it seems to be nothing more than another way of establishing that these things are subjective, which I don't dispute. If you can explain to me why this particular example challenges my position in a way I haven't already addressed, or which is unique to it, I'd be happy to respond.

As I said, I'm speaking from an individual's perspective.
I'm really not sure what this means. We're all doing that, and that's all we need to do to consider questions like this.

You ready? You look ready.
Co opting is also a white musician rapping
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=60282

Like Eddie Veddar once sang, if you hate something don't you do it too.
Guilty. But it is another thing entirely when you respect and understand the history of what you’re co-opting. Nothing irks me more than some white dude not respecting the culture. There are things I cannot and should not rap about given my complexion, so I form my own lane. We all know art is far more subjective, especially if it’s free art.

Which goes back to my previous point about the religious headdress. I believe there is a lot of disrespect in cheapening and commodifying a minorities religious clothing for a sporting event.

Respectfully, I don't think this withstands much scrutiny. Words are not objects or facts that are identical in all circumstances, they are a conveyor of ideas. The context changes which idea is being conveyed. Example: a child may hear an offensive term and repeat it with no idea what it means, and it would be nonsensical to react to that the same way you'd react to an adult who says it with full understanding of its meaning. Because the child is ignorant and means no harm, and the adult does. You take offense to their deliberate expression of hate (or, more charitably, your indifference to their emotional state).
Unless you imply that blacks are like children, I don't see the point. I'm (obviously, I hope) speaking of fully functional adults. And yes, words change meaning based on circumstances but the idea that some words are either "good" or "evil" based on the ethnicity of the speaker doesn't match my view of the world.

Why would you respond to me, a specific person making a specific argument to you, but aim your dispute and reasoning at some non-specific group of people (an unverifiable and vague claim of "many") instead?
Because despite the fact that I'm debating with you don't mean I'm debating about you. I don't see such a clear distinction between "should" and "must" in the real world as your posts imply. For example, there's a petition for the Redskins to change their name (with 11k signatures). For me, that sounds awful like "must". In most cases, the distinction isn't there.

It implies nothing more or less than an ability to judge things proportionally, and to consider precedent. That's it. I'm not even sure what the objection is, at this point.
Maybe the objection is me reading too much (or wrongly) into the meaning of the post I originally replied. We (presumably) agree that "reasonable offense" is subjective. Hence my issue with the concept that we'd have to ask ourselves if someone else is "reasonably offended" when we have no way of knowing what their "reasonably" means.

The religion question is just such a thing: it seems to be nothing more than another way of establishing that these things are subjective, which I don't dispute. If you can explain to me why this particular example challenges my position in a way I haven't already addressed, or which is unique to it, I'd be happy to respond.
Let's start with an example. Do you think that a band called Deicide "should" stop playing their song Kill the Christian? Do you think that Christians can have a "reasonable offense" for such a song?

I'm really not sure what this means. We're all doing that, and that's all we need to do to consider questions like this.
I don't mean myself when I say "individual perspective". I just mean a single person vs society (legislation). I'm convinced that a person who says that something "should" be done would if he or she had the power, enforce it as a "must" far more often than not. On a personal level, the distinction between "should" and "must" is vague at best.

Unless you imply that blacks are like children, I don't see the point.
This almost feels like a willful misunderstanding, but I will continue to assume good faith and elaborate anyway: children were an example to establish a principle (that words convey ideas, which is influenced heavily by context). You can tell because I put the word "Example" in front of it, and then immediately explained the principle the example was demonstrating. So it should be perfectly obvious that I was not implying that.

And yes, words change meaning based on circumstances but the idea that some words are either "good" or "evil" based on the ethnicity of the speaker doesn't match my view of the world.
This is not what we were discussing, nor what was claimed. The question was whether it can be reasonable to use the word in one context and not be offended, and have it hurled at you in another where it is.

Words communicate ideas. The n-word communicates something different from one person than it does another. This isn't unfair, and it does not imply that the word is good or evil. Just that it can convey different ideas which are good or evil. Language is more than flexible to accommodate this.

Now, if you want to argue that this is a counterproductive posture, fair enough. Maybe it is. But there's nothing really contradictory or even particularly confusing about it, and it would be perfectly reasonable for a black person to react very differently to that word in those two contexts.

Because despite the fact that I'm debating with you don't mean I'm debating about you.
I didn't ask you to debate about me, I asked you to debate the idea I'm putting forward. I am saying "should." The fact that some non-specific group may be saying "must" instead has no bearing on that argument.

I don't see such a clear distinction between "should" and "must" in the real world as your posts imply. For example, there's a petition for the Redskins to change their name (with 11k signatures). For me, that sounds awful like "must". In most cases, the distinction isn't there.
I'll agree that at a certain point societal pressure becomes roughly indistinguishable from force in most meaningful senses. However:

a) a petition is nowhere near that point, and in fact, is an example of exactly what "should" should look like in practice, to my mind.

b) if you're comfortable noting that there's a spectrum between should and must, and even judging that we've crossed that line, then you have already made exactly the kind of subjective judgment I'm saying we can make about reasonableness. I'm not sure why you're perfectly comfortable making that kind of judgment here, but not there.

Maybe the objection is me reading too much (or wrongly) into the meaning of the post I originally replied. We (presumably) agree that "reasonable offense" is subjective. Hence my issue with the concept that we'd have to ask ourselves if someone else is "reasonably offended" when we have no way of knowing what their "reasonably" means.
Ah, perhaps this explains things. When I say "reasonably" there, I mean we determine if it is reasonable. I mean we should judge if it is reasonable for them to take offense. Obviously everyone who takes offense believes themselves to be reasonable in doing so, or they wouldn't do it. It's not their earnestness that's at question, just their reasonableness. You can say that being offended by "Redskins" is not reasonable, if you don't think it is. It just doesn't seem like that's the prevailining opinion in this thread. Almost all of the arguments are about questions outside of that.

Let's start with an example. Do you think that a band called Deicide "should" stop playing their song Kill the Christian? Do you think that Christians can have a "reasonable offense" for such a song?
Yes, they should, and yes, they do.

Please note, I haven't heard the song and have no idea what it's like. But I'm assuming from the context of your question that it's extreme and would easily offend, and that is what chosen for exactly that purpose. If it's not what I'm expecting, my answer may change.

I don't mean myself when I say "individual perspective". I just mean a single person vs society (legislation). I'm convinced that a person who says that something "should" be done would if he or she had the power, enforce it as a "must" far more often than not. On a personal level, the distinction between "should" and "must" is vague at best.
I don't think the same way about those concepts. There are many things I think people should do that I would never suggest they should be made to do. I suppose I can't prove to you that, if I had infinite power, I would not abuse it. Maybe I would. But the ideas are necessarily distinct and there's not much discussion to be had if you're going to tell me you simply don't believe me when I say I advocate one and not the other.

Regardless, I think differing opinions of "should" are probably making the divide here seem larger than it is. We "should" be civil and polite to one another, too, but I wouldn't dream of making that a law. It's just something we should do, should expect of others, and which society should encourage and influence to make happen. To my mind, "should" propositions are what make freedom work, since a society that legally requires such things would be oppressive, but one that did not do them anyway would be unlivable.

No you are completely wrong, changing the Redskins name isn't about "white people" it's about companies and individuals not wanted to associate and sponsor a Prejudice name. It's also about distracting from the rumors of illegal activity and sexual misconduct from the organization.
I had already said this:
I have to agree with that. This time it's not liberals or anarchist, it's rich wall street types, who are the executive at Fedex calling for the name change.
In my last post I was thinking about what Cricket had said about 'mobs' pressuring Fed Ex to get the Redskins name changed. Which led me to think about all the people complaining about the Redskins on Facebook & Twitter. I'm sure many if not most of them are white, and aren't really concerned about helping Native Americans, or America in general, they just want to remove a name that they feel is an embarrassment to the whites.

It's a bit like the chicken and egg. Fedex yes is the muscle, but the social media complainers give the push in the first place. So see both my last post and your post are both wrong and both right.

Relevant:

This fellow claims he is "positive he is in the majority" as far as members of his community absolutely not being offended by the name. He also mentions how he was drawn to the team due to his culture being represented in the logo etc., while also stating he may be swayed by home team bias, the big homer!

Seriously though, it's worth a watch!

(Redskins still suck. Go Pats)

I try (doesn't look that I was very succesful) to shorten my replies from now on. It's not because you wouldn't deserve more thorough replies but because these discussions occupy me way too much. The reason I try to steer away from these in the first place is that once in I can't stop thinking about them almost 24/7. And yes, political discussions even interfere with my sleep (I lie awake thinking the arguments both ways). It's not healthy, and I know it.

This almost feels like a willful misunderstanding
Not a misunderstanding, exactly, but (perhaps too) aggressive way to say that I didn't feel the example truly fitting.

This is not what we were discussing, nor what was claimed. The question was whether it can be reasonable to use the word in one context and not be offended, and have it hurled at you in another where it is.
Yes, context matters like that. What I disagree with, is the idea that the ethnicity of the speaker can automatically create a context that makes the word offensive.

I didn't ask you to debate about me, I asked you to debate the idea I'm putting forward. I am saying "should." The fact that some non-specific group may be saying "must" instead has no bearing on that argument.
I think we're still thinking "should" and "must" differently. You associate "must" with action. Your "must" is legal (or forceful) enforcement of something. My "must", on the other hand, is just a demand to comply. My "must" isn't defined by the power to enforce.

Let's use the petition I mentioned as an example. The petition demands Redskins to change their name. Is a person signing that petition satisfied if the change doesn't happen? I don't think so. The whole point of the petition is to have the name changed. It's not "Redskins should consider if they'd like to change their name". To me, that is a "must" stance from the individuals signing the petition. There's only one satisfying outcome.

b) if you're comfortable noting that there's a spectrum between should and must, and even judging that we've crossed that line, then you have already made exactly the kind of subjective judgment I'm saying we can make about reasonableness. I'm not sure why you're perfectly comfortable making that kind of judgment here, but not there.
There's a spectrum between our "musts". I'm quite certain that my "must" is your "should" (and my "should" is something else altogether - a thing that would be nice but not something that really matters).

Ah, perhaps this explains things. When I say "reasonably" there, I mean we determine if it is reasonable. I mean we should judge if it is reasonable for them to take offense.
That clears up some things. I still don't understand why you seemed to be against asking "them" (in this case Native Americans). If, as you said that polls suggest, they aren't offended why would it matter if you, me, or anyone else thinks it would be reasonable for them to be?

Yes, they should, and yes, they do.

Please note, I haven't heard the song and have no idea what it's like. But I'm assuming from the context of your question that it's extreme and would easily offend, and that is what chosen for exactly that purpose. If it's not what I'm expecting, my answer may change.
It certainly is rather extreme in its anti-Christian message. Now your opinion that they should stop playing this song (which, as far as I know, has been a staple set-piece since its release) is what I consider "must". It's also a nod towards censorship (which I don't agree with) as the only way to satisfy this "should/must" would be to prevent them from playing it (they provoke on purpose, so it's not reasonable to expect them to comply otherwise - early in their careers they got death threats from conservative Christians and it didn't change a thing).

Regardless, I think differing opinions of "should" are probably making the divide here seem larger than it is.
Yes, I think so too.

We "should" be civil and polite to one another, too, but I wouldn't dream of making that a law. It's just something we should do, should expect of others, and which society should encourage and influence to make happen. To my mind, "should" propositions are what make freedom work, since a society that legally requires such things would be oppressive, but one that did not do them anyway would be unlivable.
And here's that difference in a nutshell. You associate "must" with laws while I don't.

Civility is a "should" we both agree on. It's a cool thing most of the time, but it's not that big of a deal if we slip from it every now and then. Funny enough, the biggest that can happen is some offense taken. It's not a binary thing where one value is acceptable and the other isn't. For me, a "must" stance is something that can be satisfied by one outcome only.

The whole topic of freedom is extremely difficult (in my opinion). Sometimes I feel that humanity isn't ready for freedom, and it's too often used to destroy and corrode itself. The problem is that cancel culture, boycotts, etc. are expressions of freedom and it's difficult to logically argue against them yet still they diminish the freedom itself.

Relevant:

This fellow claims he is "positive he is in the majority" as far as members of his community absolutely not being offended by the name. He also mentions how he was drawn to the team due to his culture being represented in the logo etc., while also stating he may be swayed by home team bias, the big homer!

Seriously though, it's worth a watch!

(Redskins still suck. Go Pats)
That's pretty strong stuff from a guy who has some standing in the Native American community and has done his research. I'm always skeptical of polls, and most especially when they're done by colleges. For Native Americans like the man in the video, the change is actually quite sad.

Here's an interesting what if: What if every single living Native American doesn't mind the name but it was all their deceased family members that hated it when they were alive? Go.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Here's an interesting what if: What if every single living Native American doesn't mind the name but it was all their deceased family members that hated it when they were alive? Go.
Ha, I'll rep that for being creative So I'll have to contact a medium and get back to ya on that one!

There's a spectrum between our "musts". I'm quite certain that my "must" is your "should" (and my "should" is something else altogether - a thing that would be nice but not something that really matters).
LOL. This is what’s called a down the rabbit hole discussion.

I'll up you one: What if the football stadium was built on ancient Indian burial grounds?!

The dead are like, dead to me and stuff.

I'll up you one: What if the football stadium was built on ancient Indian burial grounds?!

Touche!

Then again, if that was the case, they would win more games. So imma go with impossible!

"Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN."

Lulz