Shaft

→ in
Tools    

I rented this 'cause the sweetie cutie pie girl at work I like said it was good. Hmm... I didn't think it was so great. The soundtrack yeah. I think the Shaft song won awards or something. But the movie was only so so I think.
What do you guys think?

I would agree with you. I thought that the movie was okay but nothing really special. Although, I do like Samuel L. Jackson and I like the soundtrack as well.

I can think of fewer times where I looked forward to a remake and was more disappointed in the results. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong here...Jackson was good even if he was fighting the screenplay all the way. Jeffrey Wright and Toni Collette made every moment they had onscreen count though. I don't know, it just had an emptiness too it and not much re-watch appeal at all.

I can think of fewer times where I looked forward to a remake and was more disappointed in the results. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong here..
Shaft isn't the coolest person in the film. That's what's wrong with the Shaft remake. Like you, I can't think of a remake, maybe even a film, I was looking forward to more than this. I suppose it being announced in 1995 and not getting made/released until 2000 was a bad sign, but I wasn't as smart back then.

Really, though, it shouldn't have missed. SLJ as Shaft should be perfect casting and it's directed by John Singleton, who'd made Boys 'N The Hood a few years earlier? Had to hit the mark. Of course, it was quite a few years later for Singleton by the time this was made. Maybe that was part of the problem? Just a horribly missed opportunity. Not sure who'd play it now, but a remake is possible. Should that happen, a quick note for everyone involved... Shaft has to be the coolest mother****er in the film. That's the golden rule. Anything and everything after that is up for debate.