Harlan Ellison Dead at 84

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I saw a Today Show (Snyder) appearance last night and thought he was interesting. I'm curious what movies he loved.. I saw another clip of him talking about Gilgamesh, Orwell, etc., that kind of sci-fi, and said he hated "Close Encounters" and "Star Wars" and so I thought there must be some who really know him and/or his work.

I might watch "A Boy And His Dog" - someone mentioned it here recently favorably.

I saw a Today Show (Snyder) appearance last night and thought he was interesting. I'm curious what movies he loved.. I saw another clip of him talking about Gilgamesh, Orwell, etc., that kind of sci-fi, and said he hated "Close Encounters" and "Star Wars" and so I thought there must be some who really know him and/or his work.

I might watch "A Boy And His Dog" - someone mentioned it here recently favorably.
Sad news as he seemed to be a pretty important figure in the genre.

I remember something about him writing introductions for American Doctor Who novelisations in the Seventies. Certain things in those books were altered slightly so that the series travelled better. Jelly Babies becoming Jelly Beans for example . Americans don't know what they're missing.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sad news as he seemed to be a pretty important figure in the genre.

I remember something about him writing introductions for American Doctor Who novelisations in the Seventies. Certain things in those books were altered slightly so that the series travelled better. Jelly Babies becoming Jelly Beans for example . Americans don't know what they're missing.

I'm American, and just heard of him 20 hours ago. I'm enjoying the interviews.

I represent a couple of countries, and I heard about him through Stephen King. I read Danse Macabre a long time ago and took his note of which writers he was talking about that I hadn't heard of. Harlan Ellison was a hit with me. Thanks, Steve.

I was an admirer of the outspoken Harlan Elison...He was an award winning writer and especially respected by the sci-fi community.

To Star Trek fans he's legend! Having wrote the original tele-play for The City on the Edge of Forever which appeared in the original Star Trek series. I remember reading a scathing magazine article by Harlan about his time working with Star Trek on that episode...He was quite pissed that his original story was re-worked by Gene Rodenberry and others. And he had nothing nice to say about William Shatner. It was a damn good read and the article itself was written by Harlan.

Besides the noted A Boy and His Dog, a great underground sci fi movie, two of my all time favorite early Outer Limits episodes are: Demon with the Glass Hand, and Solider.

Harlan Ellison was a maverick and didn't always play well with Hollywood types, and yet he still achieved greatness and did it his way!

I was an admirer of the outspoken Harlan Elison...One of the great sci-fi writers. To Star Trek fans he's legend! having wrote the original tele play for A City on the Edge of Forever which appeared in the original series. I remember reading a scathing article by Harlan about his time working with Star Trek, he was quite pissed that his original story was we worked by Gene Rodenberry and others. And he had nothing nice to say about William Shatner. It was a damn good read and the article itself was written by Harlan.
Never knew any of that. I was purely a reader of his writing. This will be a discovery for me...I'd trust his tea because I know his work. Does that sound weird?

Never knew any of that. I was purely a reader of his writing. This will be a discovery for me...I'd trust his tea because I know his work. Does that sound weird?
ha, I almost but a motorcycle for that reason

ha, I almost but a motorcycle for that reason
As good a reason as any.

I was talking about Jelly Babies matt – but I take your point .

Here's an article about his death (and life) from The New York Times. Although they talk about it in the article, I remember reading once that he'd said, "Call me a science fiction writer and I'll tear your liver out!" He's quoted differently in the article and there's a link directly to the video where he says what he'll do if called the previously mentioned title. It's too bad that almost every article I see about his passing refers to him as a "sci-fi writer." Apparently he had a lot of anger that he vented on many people, but he was a prolific writer who defended his work with a passion (sometimes a passion of a star going supernova) but you've gotta admire the guy for standing his ground till the end.

EDIT: I'd read another article that had almost all the same material as the NY Times article, except for the video links. Also, it added to the fact about him writing an episode of The Flying Nun, with the addition that he'd only written the episode with the hopes of meeting Sally Field and bedding her. He was very honest, obviously, but I can't say I really blame him for lusting after Sally:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/o...ies-at-84.html