Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

January 9:

The Shape of Water
(Guillermo del Toro, 2017)

[REWATCH]

Loved it even more this time around. Beautiful romantic fairytale. Everyone is terrific but want to give a shout out to Doug Jones as the creature. No one seems to talk about him in this much but I don't think the creature would have been as interesting without his performance - the mannerisms and overall stature. He holds his own against the brilliant performance by Sally Hawkins.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think The Shape of Water is the most romantic film in years. At first I thought it was a very personal version of Close Encounters where two different types of beings interrelated through music and kindness, but then it kept layering on more meaning that Brenda and I could relate to. The poem at the end and Richard Jenkins' reading of it was terrific.And Michael Shannon and his boss were scary monsters.

January 3:

May
(Lucky McKee, 2002)

[REWATCH]

Angela Bettis gives one of the great horror performances ever in this flick. I like her dynamic with hand-man. She's a genuine weirdo while he's a try-hard.
Have you seen, and what do you think if so of, McKee's The Woman?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think The Shape of Water has a chance to be a big favorite of mine in years to come. There's a lot of stunning things in that movie.

Have you seen, and what do you think if so of, McKee's The Woman?
Only seen it once, but recall liking it quite a bit. Barely remember it though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There is a Creep 2 believe it or not, just saw it on Netflix.

Suspect's Reviews

January 11:

The Post
(Steven Spielberg, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Amazing, edge-of-your-seat stuff. Spielberg's direction on display here is really inspiring for me. I loved how much the camera was constantly moving. The acting is fantastic as well. Funny that around awards season, Streep always bugs me with her constant nominations... and then I watch one of her movies, and remember why she always gets nominated.

January 12:

Call Me by Your Name
(Luca Guadagnino, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

A beautifully told, emotionally powerful romance. I could hear a lot of people crying as the credits rolled, and I was moved as well. Timothée Chalamet has really skyrocketed onto the scene and he deserves whatever praise he gets coming to him for his performance here. Armie Hammer holds his own well. Michael Stuhlbarg plays the best kind of father. And Luca Guadagnino's directing gives me hope for the Suspiria remake.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
By genre do you mean found footage?
Sorry Swany, only just saw this. Yes, not a fan of found footage but I really liked this, especially the ending.

January 13:

Call Me by Your Name
(Luca Guadagnino, 2017)

[REWATCH]

Had to see this again, and dragged my filmmaking buddy to it this time around because I think it's excellent craft-wise. It's hard to know if I liked it more the first time I saw it, or this time, but I know both times were a different but equally stunning experience. Suffice it to say, it's easily top three of the year for me - however, having just seen it, it may take some time to figure out where in that top three it is.

January 15:

Creep 2
(Patrick Brice, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Ended up liking this more than the first mainly because it played with audience expectations so well and was incredibly inventive with it's ideas. Desiree Akhavan was great as the new character, having just as much charisma as the poster-boy of the series Mark Duplass. Overall, I like the two films, because they twist up the found footage thing nicely (though, maybe not as much as the praise would lead you to believe).

Molly's Game
(Aaron Sorkin, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Y'all know I love me some Chastain, and this flick is filled to the brim with her - and she's really good! Sorkin's writing ability seems to outweigh his directing ability considerably, however, because while the writing was very good (though not top-tier Sorkin), I found the direction somewhat lackluster. Despite that I was fully engaged in the film and it's story, and felt it was a solid way to spend two hours.

I prefer not rating movies, but I also noticed not as many people seem to enjoy my thread anymore, which is a bummer to me. Considering going back to ratings because of this.

You guys suck.

I only read the one's I've seen Swanny - you're far too up-to-date for me most of the time

Question about the two Creeps if I may (as people keep praising them) .... how is the found footage in them ... is it the more realistic type shaky crap all over the place or is it the more unrealistic but more easily watchable fare? If it's the first (which I find diff to watch) is there a lot of it?

Sorry, I just can't get a feel for how someone thinks the movie is without something attached. My bad.
No one's fault. I get it.

I saw Molly's Game before you? I must be Chastains biggest fan!
HA YOU WISH

I only read the one's I've seen Swanny - you're far too up-to-date for me most of the time

Question about the two Creeps if I may (as people keep praising them) .... how is the found footage in them ... is it the more realistic type shaky crap all over the place or is it the more unrealistic but more easily watchable fare? If it's the first (which I find diff to watch) is there a lot of it?
They are very realistic, but in a good way. Especially the first. I don't remember a single super-shakey headache-inducing moment in either films. Actually, you can argue they aren't very eventful. I think what makes them work is Mark Duplass and his charisma. Keep in mind I think the praise surrounding them could be dialed down a bit, because whilst good, they are not that stunning in my opinion.

They are very realistic, but in a good way. Especially the first. I don't remember a single super-shakey headache-inducing moment in either films. Actually, you can argue they aren't very eventful. I think what makes them work is Mark Duplass and his charisma. Keep in mind I think the praise surrounding them could be dialed down a bit, because whilst good, they are not that stunning in my opinion.
K, ta for that - at least I can safely put them on the list for a possible watch in 2019/20 lol. Cheers mate

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I prefer not rating movies, but I also noticed not as many people seem to enjoy my thread anymore, which is a bummer to me. Considering going back to ratings because of this.

You guys suck.
I don't enjoy your thread, ILIVE4IT.