What is your favorite Martial Arts film? Favorite actors?

Tools    

No. It has martial arts in it but there's no way i'd class it as a martial arts film. Shame on you for asking.

Eating you Since 1984
well i was kinda kidding considering my last few posts were Matrix related... and this is my first time back in a few months and forgot i had a matrix avatar...

Game of Death

Hi - While I greatly enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle, if we are going with all time favorite, I have to stick with Enter the Dragon - classic

Can't go wrong with Enter the Dragon, though John Saxon & Jim Kelly always steal the film for me.

My favourite is either Bruce Lee v.s. Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon (lol at The Office scene as well) or the real footage Bruce recorded for Game of Death.
You may have heard he died while making Game of Death and the actual film is quite funny- they actually use a card board cut out to replace him at one point, as well as loads of body doubles (it's also quite sad). The standout bit has to be the 30 minute short (available on the DVD), with of footage that Bruce actually stars in. He is forced by Triads to move up a Dojo, defeating opponents on each floor till he reaches the final floor with Kareem Abdul Jamar. They have an epic showdown (Kareem is about 8ft and Bruce 4-5ft) it's simply amazing. Must see!

Seen Shaolin Soccer btw?

Eating you Since 1984
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Can't go wrong with Enter the Dragon, though John Saxon & Jim Kelly always steal the film for me.

My favorite is either Bruce Lee v.s. Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon (lol at The Office scene as well) or the real footage Bruce recorded for Game of Death.
My fave scene is when he kicks the guy the locker room...and flips around. Unbelievable...

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Instead of Shogun Assassin, see the real thing- Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance and Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx, heck and see the other 4 as well.

And Zatoichi is NOT martial arts, maybe if you get technical over semantics etc it could qualify but by standards, it's as Christine states- swordplay.

I'm not keen on Tsui Hark's work, like Once Upon a Time in China, too much wire work. The only martial arts film anyone needs is Drunken Master.
The defintion of Martial Arts is unarmed/armed fighting system. Sure it's a swordplay movie but swordplay is still Martial Arts, even boxing qualifies as a martial art my friend.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Yes, i said that they swordplay can be defined as Martial Arts, but my point is, when discussing movies it's important to seperate the two genres to a certain degree. Especially as kung-fu/martial arts is generally from China and samurai/swordplay from Japan, of course there are exceptions, i consider them to be quite distinct genres.

Originally Posted by christine
Try White Snake Green Snake - you said you like Tsui Hark films so there's another one for you with a more fantasy theme.
I've been hoping to rent it ever since I saw The Blade, but no place around here seems to have it. Much as I appreciate Tsui's oeuvre (even some of his seriously flawed ones like Time and Tide and the first Zu), he's an inconsistent enough director that I'm not about to plunk down 25 dollars on a blind buy. Not yet anyway.

Once Upon a Time In China, Jet Li of course

crouching tiger

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by BloodSport
I loved "BloodSport" and "KickBoxer" so much, my opinion is you have to see these great movies, I mean look at my user name and signature for god sake!

These movies are great, you dont have some skinny chinese kung-fu guy, you have Jean Claude Van-Damme displaying great skill and muscualr shape.

HIGHLY recommended.
In reality muscular shape has very little to do with actual ability. You just have a Van Damme crush.

we should tally results! hehe well for me it depends, but here's a quick rundown of my opinions;

Bruce Lee: tuff choice between Enter the Dragon and The chinese Connection

Jet Li: Fist of Legend

Jacki Chan: Hardest yet!: Who Am I?, Drunken Master series, supercop series

Tony Jaa: so far both ong bak and tom yong goong were awesome

van Damme: Bloodspot and lionheart were both respectable

steven seagal: ......

Every breath you take, watching you
For me Bruce Lee was always a little too serious. A phenomenal athlete, yet didn't grab me enough because of it. I like how they made you wait to see him fight in movies like The Big Boss though. I kinda feel the same way about Jet Li, other than stuff like The Shaolin Temple

Some faves in no order, with no sword (Wu Xia) movies, just bare hands:

The One Armed Chinese Boxer & other one armed Jimmy Wang Yu movies (his two armed efforts like Fantasy Mission Force kinda sucked)
The World of Drunken Master (Simon Lee, oh yeah!)
Black Belt Jones (kinda comedy martial arts)
Project A - (Jackie Chan)
The Shaolin Temple (early Jet Li)
The Seventh Curse (Bizarre Chow Yun Fat, Maggie Cheung effort)
Shaolin Wooden men
Sleeping Fist
(& the series of 'Ar Chi' movies)
and of course...

The Story of Ricky Oh

Fave actors:

Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao (wish he had been in better movies though), Yuen Wah, Jim Kelly, Cynthia Khan / Roxroth's Yes Ma'am series, Sammo Hung, Simon Yuen etc

Also, the 36 chamers with gordon liu was fantastic also!! and yuen wo ping stuff is generally top notch especially iron monkey!

Enter the Dragon's my fav. Though I think Jet Li is my favorite current martial arts guy. Kill Bill gets an honorable mention.

Jet Li is great isn't he

Originally Posted by Sifu_WFH
Once Upon a Time In China, Jet Li of course

Btw the only time Aussiegirl posts is when she can talk about Jet Li. She's been a member for over a year and thats all she has posted about. Someones obsessed I believe

I've noticed your posts contain a lot of Tony Jaa in them as well Ahem shall i say you r also obsessed

Originally Posted by m0dern_pr0phet
Btw the only time Aussiegirl posts is when she can talk about Jet Li. She's been a member for over a year and thats all she has posted about. Someones obsessed I believe

Some are yes, but not all of them in their entirety. You see while I have been a member for a while I've only racked up 96 posts . You on the other hand virtually don't have any posts which don't contain jet li or jet li related material.