2018 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

Gotta throw out Anthony & Joe Russo for Infinity War as best director/s.
Managing to balance that screenplay and story into something easy to watch, exciting, and also loads of fun, can't have been easy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Funniest Scene of the Year
&
Mixed Bag of the Year

Have been added to the categories on the first post. 2 months till Deadline.

Suspect's Reviews

Best Film of the Year

Beating the Oscar winner Shape of Water by one vote, Blade Runner:2049 took the top prize last year. A few people were not fans of the win, others were surprised it beat out Shape of Water. It walked away with Best VFX and Best Cinematography that year as well. This year had ten nominations.

This year we had a tie. It wasn't a Moonlight debacle, but Manchester by the Sea managed to sneak in with a surprise win here. Both films received ten votes. This year only had 5 nominations, with Silence, The Nice Guys and Arrival finishing out the nominations.

Here was the year that showed we can differ from The OSCARS. Mad Max, won Best Picture & Best Director this year. It took 9 votes to give this film the win, while The Revenant had to settle for 6. Other nominees this year were Spotlight, The Martian and Ex Machina.

Birdman took home the win, with 4 other awards as well. Other nominees include Boyhood, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nightcrawler and Whiplash. Would Birdman win again if people did a revote now? Who knows? I was pulling for Nightcrawler to get a surprise upset, but that didn't happen.

Gravity won this year, beating out Wolf of Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave, Her and Before Midnight. It also won Best Director, VFX and Score.

Welcome to the human race...
Hmm, now I'm having trouble trying to come up with good picks for "funniest scene" because so many of the movies I found really funny tended to be consistently so rather than having stand-out moments. That being said, few things stand out like the setpiece in Teen Titans Go! To The Movies where the Titans decide to undo (and then redo) the Justice League's origin stories.

We'll see how "mixed bag" goes - I've certainly got a few ideas, but I do wonder if they're just going to end up overlapping with my picks for overrated/disappointment anyway, but that doesn't matter. I think it'll be an interesting category that allows for a bit more nuance than the existing categories.

Best Actor of the Year

Gary Oldman won, matching the Oscars pick. He beat out newcomer Timothée Chalamet, veteran Daniel Day Lewis, Hugh Jackman in his iconic Logan role and the constantly improving Robert Pattinson. He barely made the nominee's list, yet walked away with the winning votes.

Another year where the Oscars lined up with Mofos. Only 3 people were nominated this year. Ryan Gosling snagged two spots in both La La Land and The Nice Guys, while Andrew Garfield snagged the other two with Hacksaw Ridge and Silence. Weird year for Best Actor, it would make sense that the other two guys split their votes and Affleck walked away with it. It wasn't even close. He received 21 votes while second place only got 4.

Again....another year where we match the Oscars. A little redundant? He received 12 votes, while everyone else had to settle for single digits. Matt Damon for The Martian, Johnny Depp for Black Mass, Jacob Tremblay for Room and Michael Fassbender for Steve Jobs were all nominated.

Michael Keaton beat out Gyllenhaal by one vote. One freakin' vote. Tough race between the two. Also nominated were Ralph Fiennes, Eddie Redmayne, and Brendan Gleeson.

It seems the first year was the only difference and DiCaprio has TWO Mofo Film Awards to his name. He was up against Chiwetel Ejiofor, Joaquin Phoenix, Matthew McConaughey and Tom Hanks.

Best Actress of the Year

Beating out Sally Hawkins, Vicky Krieps, Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, McDormand won by just one vote. While the quality of the film itself was debated, it seemed that mostly everyone agreed that she was excellent.

Amy Adams beat the competition here, earning 13 votes. Emma Stone had to settle for second with 8. Natalie Portman, newcomer Sasha Lane and surprise nominee Mary Elizabeth Winstead were all nominated.

Brie Larson won this year, beating out everyone. No one came close. Daisey Ridley and Charlize Theron were nominated for their action dominated roles, while Saoirse Ronan and Cate Blanchett received noms for their dramatic time pieces.

Rosamund Pike wins for Gone girl with her chilling performance. She beat out Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johanson, Sarah Snook and Oscar winner Julianne Moore.

A tie here and another two time Mofo Film Award winner. Amy Adams won for American Hustle and Arrival. They beat out Sandra Bullock, Scarlett Johanson and Julie Delpy.

Yes, wide release in 2018. Small festival circuit in 2017.

The biggest challenge of this thing is determining when movies are released/eligible. I refer to multiple sources (Wiki, IMDB, RT, BOM) all to try and get a unified answer. We've had people nominate movies that were nominated LAST YEAR, because it just came out for them the following year.

If anyone is unsure, just make ask and someone will be able to answer or we can all come to an agreement.

Most Memorable Scene

The Peach Scene - Call Me By Your Name

In a year with killer clowns, amazonian woman, lightsaber fights and stylized car chases...a boy and his peach won.

The Apology Scene - Manchester By The Sea

Another sequence that leaves big spectacle behind and goes for something more personal. Another year where a memorable Star Wars scene didn't win. Neither did a naked woman at a party, arguments over vocabulary and a religious nut screaming just one more while he saves dozens of lives. Instead two depressed people trying to apologize to each other over a tragedy.

The Bear Attack - The Revenant

Leo finally got his Oscar and all it took was a mauling by a bear. Again, Star Wars failed to win in this category despite being nominated 3 years in a row. Along with the final vehicle chase in Mad Max, the awesome dance number in Ex Machina and finally the tense boarder crossing sequence in Sicario.

The Final Set - Whiplash

Whiplash took this one home with a rousing finale that was tense and exhilarating. It defeated the final fight in The Raid 2, the awkward dinner scene in Nightcrawler, the sad messages from family members in Interstellar and Quicksilver's prison break from X-Men. All great scenes this year.

Was not a category this year.

I did make a post saying that it would go to "the snap" this year, but then I look at this and realise that people seem to prefer picking scenes from lower-scale films (the closest thing to a blockbuster here is The Revenant). For all I know, it's going to end up going to the Live Aid sequence from Bohemian Rhapsody or some damn thing.

I guess the presumption is that any truly noteworthy character work would be acknowledged in the acting-based fields, likewise for any sufficiently good chase scenes being listed under overall memorable scenes (and doing a quick scan over all the 2018 films I've seen doesn't yield such a strong selection of chase sequences that I feel like I have to narrow it down to a top five).