2018 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

I wonder what kind of overlap there would be.

Could be interesting. What are people's thoughts?
I am for keeping one, people will just interpret as they see it. Iro's two examples show that we already are kind of seeing it through both lenses. I'm for letting it falm the way it does. I feel like it has been one of the most interesting categories and a ton more representation would just water it down.

Cool! That you're doing this for us MoFos again

I've participated in the other MoFo Film Awards, but I think I've only seen a couple 2018 films this time around. So unless I discover a bunch of neat 2018 films to watch, I won't be able to send in a list.

Welcome to the human race...
^Eh, I liked it better when MacGruber did it.

I am for keeping one, people will just interpret as they see it. Iro's two examples show that we already are kind of seeing it through both lenses. I'm for letting it falm the way it does. I feel like it has been one of the most interesting categories and a ton more representation would just water it down.
It's a bit of a weird compromise as well, like if the second challenge from Ready Player One got nominated I could very well vote for it for being memorable in all the wrong ways while other people could pick it in a good way. Also, I'm thinking that the reason Manchester by the Sea even won that year is because it got seen by more people than any other nominee so it practically won by default (especially compared to something like Toni Erdmann that I realise in retrospect would've been harder to seek out for most people), so I think that works against it being too interesting. I do think it'd be interesting by virtue of highlighting actually good scenes from not-so-good movies but even in that regard I'm struggling to come up with good examples so...yeah.

Weird is relative.
I would like to participate, but there's a bunch I haven't seen yet, and I doubt I'll have the time to watch them before the end of the year. So, we'll see...

Weird is relative.
Oh, okay, sounds good.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Gotta chuck out a shout for Millicent Simmonds in A Quiet Place as Best Supporting Actress.
I tried watching this the other day on my Android box....started off in the year 2040 something and played 80's music. I was like, wtf is this? Then Ready Player One started. Tried another link, same damn thing. I did not watch that movie that night.

This is on my watch list before nominations are due.

Suspect's Reviews

Weird is relative.
Gotta chuck out a shout for Millicent Simmonds in A Quiet Place as Best Supporting Actress.
She's actually deaf, right? I thought she was really good in this and Wonderstruck.

She's actually deaf, right? I thought she was really good in this and Wonderstruck.

Yep. She also helped with teaching the cast to sign.

Welcome to the human race...
Worth a shot, I suppose - like I said earlier, scene categories can always highlight moments from movies that are overall liable to get lost in the shuffle and that seems likely to happen to comedies in general.

Another idea I had for a category is "Mixed Bag of the Year", which I came up with after re-watching The Predator earlier. I was considering nominating it for Biggest Disappointment but I still enjoy it just enough that I can't consider it too much of a disappointment, but not enough to call it particularly good either. I figure it could exist as a catch-all between Best/Worst, Surprise/Disappointment, Overrated/Underrated - the weird misfit movies that you can't really slot into any other category (good or bad) but still deserve some kind of acknowledgment.

I could probably come up with a few nominations for "Funniest Scene", though it might overlap a little with "Best Scene" (if it does get split from the "Most Memorable" category). I'm not sure I've seen anything yet that would count as a "Mixed Bag", but that can certainly change.

While I'm here, I'd might as well ask if Deadpool 2 and Once Upon a Deadpool count as separate movies, since I just saw the latter and I'm not sure if I should count it as it's own thing or not. It does have a fair amount of new footage.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
What are people's thoughts on Funniest Scene? Try to incorporate more comedy into this thing?
I like it. Something new. Of course I also don't mind comedy and sometimes it doesn't get the credit it deserves.