The MoFo Book Club - Idea thread

Tools    

I thought it might be good to nominate ahead of time, so people can work on obtaining the books if they want. But if that's not a good idea, let me know.

Yeah I think no deadline, but if everyone else disagrees I'm fine with whatever the majority wants. We've only got like 6 people who are def in, so if people can say that they are definately reading that nomination we can can wait for people to finish. Or another scenario, they could be honest and say if they're struggling and not going to finish then we can move on.

As far as what the nominations are, I'd rather they were revealed one by one as we finish the previous book. I don't like the thought of a list stretching into he future. Again tho, I'll go with whatever others like more.

I thought it might be good to nominate ahead of time, so people can work on obtaining the books if they want. But if that's not a good idea, let me know.
Not too much far ahead then

As far as what the nominations are, I'd rather they were revealed one by one as we finish the previous book. I don't like the thought of a list stretching into he future. Again tho, I'll go with whatever others like more.
That's fine with me.

It's hard enough to get people to watch a two-hour movie, so it's hard for me to see this book club lasting beyond a month or two. I hope it does, though. As long as people stick to small books, it might last. The Metamorphosis is a great choice (and a great read) since it's just a novella and shouldn't take more than one or two sittings to finish.
I'm not worried. If it fails, it fails. Fortunately we seem to have a small group of people enthusiastic about participating, which is kind of what I wanted. I hope, and think there's a good chance, it'll be a positive experience for us. If not... no harm done.

There used to be these things called libraries where you could go and check out any book you wanted for free. I think they still exist.
Similar to my movies, I prefer to buy my books. I may go to the library if I'm still broke in a couple weeks.

I'm not worried. If it fails, it fails. Fortunately we seem to have a small group of people enthusiastic about participating, which is kind of what I wanted. I hope, and think there's a good chance, it'll be a positive experience for us. If not... no harm done.
Exactly how I feel about my movie of the month idea. Though I think it's gone pretty decent so far only 3 days in. Good luck with this Swan! It'll be cool if we can support each others' ideas.

I like to buy books in hardback if I can. The price of paperback reprinted books is ridiculous. The paper they're printed on looks like recycled toilet paper! I have almost every Stephen King book in hardback first edition. I've spent a lot.

I like to buy books in hardback if I can. The price of paperback reprinted books is ridiculous. The paper they're printed on looks like recycled toilet paper! I have almost every Stephen King book in hardback first edition. I've spent a lot.
Yeah I try to buy hardbacks but most of the time I find paperbacks that are a lot cheaper. I've got quite a few RA Salvatore books in hardback. Really liked his Hunter's Blade trilogy!

I have a lot of respect for Stephen King, but after reading some of his books I can't say I'm a huge fan. The first Dark Tower book I thought was boring as crap.

I have a lot of respect for Stephen King, but after reading some of his books I can't say I'm a huge fan. The first Dark Tower book I thought was boring as crap.
I thought he was off his game with The Dark Tower series. He tried to venture into fantasy, and that's not his genre.

Yeah since I didn't like the first one I didn't even bother with the rest of the series. I'm still meaning to get The Shining though, heard the movie did some things differently but it's still a legendary book.

I'd like to have a discussion on Darwin's origin of species, but it's alittle long no? haha

did the Walking Dead Comic is allowed as a book? It's the only thing I can read without getting completely bored

I'd like to have a discussion on Darwin's origin of species, but it's alittle long no? haha
I'd be game for it personally but I imagine some people wouldn't. Again it's a possibility. If there are people who don't want to read it, they can skip that particular book.

I encourage people to speak up about this stuff. I hate making definitive answers because I want everyone to be happy.

did the Walking Dead Comic is allowed as a book? It's the only thing I can read without getting completely bored
It's allowed.

Which Stephen King books have you read?

Which Stephen King books have you read?
First Dark Tower, Cycle of the Werewolf, and only some of The Stand. That was all I read before I kinda just gave up on reading his stuff. It was probably a mistake trying to read such a long book like The Stand though.

Let's read Pride and Prejudice so we can all become pretentious middle class Victorians.
Pride and Prejudice is Georgian or Regency era and is pretty straight-forward/not all that pretentious. Middlemarch might be a better example of what you're thinking of.

First Dark Tower, Cycle of the Werewolf, and only some of The Stand. That was all I read before I kinda just gave up on reading his stuff. It was probably a mistake trying to read such a long book like The Stand though.
I've yet to read any of the Dark Tower series. Never read Cycle of the Werewolf, either. That's not one I hear discussed very much, so I'm assuming it's one of his lesser works. It might have been written in the midst of King's cocaine addiction. The Stand is his best book, though, in my opinion. Before you give up on him, check out more of his early stuff: The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Dead Zone, etc. I think it's hard to go wrong with early King. I'm not as familiar with his later stuff, but the few I've read, like Cell and Lisey's Story, didn't really do it for me.

And since you mentioned being a member of a writing forum, you should pick up King's On Writing. That's the best book on the craft available. Helpful, enjoyable, easy to read, illuminating and completely unpretentious.

I'm honestly a bigger fan of King's non-fiction than his fiction. Danse Macabre and On Writing are amazing.

I've yet to read any of the Dark Tower series. Never read Cycle of the Werewolf, either. That's not one I hear discussed very much, so I'm assuming it's one of his lesser works. It might have been written in the midst of King's cocaine addiction. The Stand is his best book, though, in my opinion. Before you give up on him, check out more his early stuff: The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Dead Zone, etc. I think it's hard to go wrong with early King. I'm not as familiar with his later stuff, but the few I've read, like Cell and Lisey's Story, didn't really do it for me.

And since you mentioned being a member of a writing forum, you should pick up King's On Writing. That's the best book on the craft available. Helpful, enjoyable, easy to read, illuminating and completely unpretentious.
Yeah I tried forever to get a hold of On Writing but I could never find it in stores. I was gonna just get it online but that was around the time that I stopped really reading a lot so I kinda lost interest in getting it.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna give him another chance and get The Shining and On Writing next for sure.

Oh and Cycle of the Werewolf is a decent read, I liked it better than the first Dark Tower. They actually made it into a movie called Silver Bullet.