Law and Order

Tools    

I became a fan of Law and Order pretty late, maybe last 5 years or so, but have seen a lot of reruns.

I liked the older SVU best because I liked the team of Stabler and Benson, Munch and Finn. But I still watch the new ones, even though I can't always keep up with the changes in personnel.
Does anyone else still watch this show , and do you have an opinion as far as which version and time frame you like(d) best?

Also, I have a question about this week's episode. This one starred two seasoned actors - Judd Hirsch and Wallace Shawn - as beleaguered brothers who seemed unaware of their own plight.

At the end ; slight spoiler - we see Olivia watching the sad final scene of them, and a tear rolls down her face. I was wondering, of all the bleak and terrible crimes against humanity she's witnessed - why this particular story made her tear up?

Maybe not the most important question about the show, but thought if anyone saw it, they may have some observation or input.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've been watching "Law and Order" and "Law and Order: SVU" since the first seasons of each of these shows. SVU hasn't been as good since Elliot Stabler left, but I've continued watching it anyway. I like the new ADA Peter Stone, who's the son of Ben Stone, the ADA from the original show.

The original "Law and Order" was the best of the L&O shows. My favorite detective was Lenny Brisco, but there were a lot of great detectives on that show throughout its run.

I'm with GBG...I still watch the show but it hasn't been the same since Christopher Meloni left. Not sure why Olivia got so emotional at the end of the last episode.

Thanks @gbgoodies and @Gideon58. I think we all agree this show was better before, but still good enough to keep watching. I also liked Lennie, maybe my fave detective too, in all the L&Os - also like Chris Noth.

And I guess no one knows why Olivia shed a tear on this one sad case ( as opposed to so many others)

Thanks @gbgoodies and @Gideon58. I think we all agree this show was better before, but still good enough to keep watching. I also liked Lennie, maybe my fave detective too, in all the L&Os - also like Chris Noth.

And I guess no one knows why Olivia shed a tear on this one sad case ( as opposed to so many others)
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Jerry Orbach as Lennie Briscoe

I liked Chris Noth too. I recently started watching "The Good Wife" with him. I'm still only a few episodes into the first season, but I hope he's in it more as the show goes on.

You' ll see a lot more of Chris Noth in The Good Wife, @gbgoodies.

I liked him in this role too.

I liked Chris Noth too. I recently started watching "The Good Wife" with him. I'm still only a few episodes into the first season, but I hope he's in it more as the show goes on.
I watched The Good Wife faithfully when it was in prime time, I hope you enjoy it, keep me posted.

I watched The Good Wife faithfully when it was in prime time, I hope you enjoy it, keep me posted.

So far, I've enjoyed it, but I'm only a few episodes into the first season. But it looks like it could be a very good show.

Ditto with the above- very good show, and as I remember, kept up its high quality throughout the run. I think you' ll enjoy it gbg.

I've been watching Law & Order: SVU quite a bit lately and I like it. Some disturbing and well-crafted episodes. And Rollins is quite a character, lots of dark places in her. It's also great when there are seasoned actors making special appearances, such as Sharon Stone, Isabelle Huppert or Jeremy Irons.

What are some of the most shocking or disturbing episodes from Law & Order: SVU that you've ever seen?

What are some of the most shocking or disturbing episodes from Law & Order: SVU that you've ever seen?

I think most of the "Law & Order: SVU" episodes are pretty disturbing, but I think the most disturbing episode was the part 2 of the episodes when Olivia Benson was kidnapped by Lewis. (It was a two-part episode that started at the end of season 14, and continued at the beginning of season 15.)

I am a massive "Law & Order" fan. Of the original series, that is. These days between Sundance, WE, or ION the show is on seemingly any hour of the day. I watch an episode or three almost daily. I am positive I have seen every single episode at least twice. At least.

I do enjoy "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and will watch that as well. That isn't on in reruns quite as often, but I do like it, whether it is Detective Goren, Mike Logan, or Zack Nichols and the interplay over the series between D'Onofrio's Goren and serial killer Nicole Wallace (Olivia d'Abo) may be my favorite moments of either series.

I have never liked "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit". To me it is too arch and over-the-top compared to the other two installments. "Law & Order" prime is grounded in reality (or at least TV cop show reality), "Criminal Intent" is the same universe but adds in a Sherlock Holmes type super sleuth in Goren, and I find "SVU" is like Kaubki theatre with villains who are SOOOOOO drippingly evil, each one like Hannibal Lectre on steroids, all gleefully enjoying their sick depravities, that I don't care even a little bit what is happening to any of the characters. I realize I am in the minority as "SVU" has outlasted them all and continues to get ratings, and I understand why the high-profile guest stars want to come in for an episode or two and ham it up, but for me as the viewer it teeters between dull and shrill. I cannot stand to watch it, and every time I give it a shot I almost instantly regret it.

I thought "Law & Order: Los Angeles" had potential, but it didn't get a chance to grow. I absolutely adore Bebe Neuwirth - like I would divorce my wife for a chance to be with her - but "Law & Order: Trial by Jury" was simply not a good tweak of the formula.

I will watch any and every "Law & Order" prime I can get my hands on - with seasons five through eight (Orbach and Noth/Bratt, Waterston and Hennesey/Lowell) definitely my favorites - but have zero use for "SVU".
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't know why, but I could never get into Criminal Intent
It's tonally different than the others. Other Law and Orders are stripped down, under-produced. Criminal Intent, assuming I'm remember it correctly, was much more like a "standard" drama. Lots of over-the-top plot lines, reenactments, musical cues throughout. Feels like a totally different show.

This is one of SVU's strengths, no reenactments. It takes talent and ability to act and narrate a story and not to rely on reenactments.