Directed By Women Countdown?

Tools    

Coincidentally this is on the Popular Lists on Letterboxd page right now - https://letterboxd.com/annapaquin/li...omen-from-all/

It's only 51 films but it would be an easier starting point than the ones with thousands of films.

It also brings up an interesting point about Slumdog Millionaire - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...re-awards.html

Loveleen Tandan was a co-director of the film, shooting some of the scenes and rewriting the kids dialogue in Hindi. We haven't even decided the co-directed by men thing nevermind the technically a co-director but not credited as such normally. For the record i despise Slumdog and definitely wouldn't vote for it, just thought it was an interesting case.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
That's an interesting list Camo. I was quite shocked at how few of the chosen 1001+ films were directed by women. I expected it to be significantly fewer than those directed by men but not that low.

@Velvet "oddly fascinated" in response to someone else saying Jeanne Dielman was unwatchable, and well, it's an odd film. So many people use 'boring' as a dismissive criticism, but this is a film which is intentionally boring, about the boredom and monotony of her life but somehow makes the monotony interesting.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Persepolis, by Marjanne Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud (2007). If you finally decide to include co-directed movies, don't miss this one. It has a high reputation for a reason. A story of clashing cultures filled with funny and dramatic moments, and the self-reflective vibes of an autobiographic work.
Persepolis came to my mind in the context of this thread

I thought the whole idea of a Women Directors Countdown is that women directors (in general) don't always get the same breaks in film making as men. In fact it could be said that movies directed by women have a harder time getting financial backing, making the path for a woman director all that much harder. So if the Wachowskis were making movies as men, they then had advantages at the time, that a woman director might not have had. Seems logical to me.

Anyway it's up to the host.
Probably but not necessarily. I mean, it all depends not only on the industry but on the specific situation. It's probably not the same in Hollywood than in the French industry, for example. Also taking into account that the Wachowskis are trans women doesn't really help the argument because it implies that they had to conform to cisnormativity to get financial backing. Either way, it's up to the host as you say.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I won't have time to do this as of now. I'd still like to host one of these things, but probably not this one.

Thanks though.

Suspect's Reviews

I won't have time to do this as of now. I'd still like to host one of these things, but probably not this one.

Thanks though.
That's too bad you would've made a good host. But it's understandable as all the other host have said it takes a huge amount of time and effort to do a countdown.

So we need a host! Someone who will stick to it, be reliable and work their ass off....any takers?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rachel has piss poor organizational skills, please take this seriously Raul!
Then you need to watch State of Play (or watch it again). She is very organized

Yay, some love for women other than for their looks. I'm looking forward to this!
I haven't seen THAT many movies in my life so I'm not sure I could really send in a list. At least nothing longer than a top 10
#1 will definitely be Lost In Translation

Yay, some love for women other than for their looks. I'm looking forward to this!
I haven't seen THAT many movies in my life so I'm not sure I could really send in a list. At least nothing longer than a top 10
#1 will definitely be Lost In Translation
You'll have months to watch some movies and put together a list. That's why we do these countdowns to encourage watching the films. Lost In Translation is a good film, but Sofia Coppola has made many more, give some of those a watch.

But first we need a host!

OK, I don't want this to die a death before it's even begun, so if nobody else wants to do it, I could maybe host it. Depending on when we are planning to have the countdown. I can't do graphics for toffee though.

OK, I don't want this to die a death before it's even begun, so if nobody else wants to do it, I could maybe host it. Depending on when we are planning to have the countdown. I can't do graphics for toffee though.
You'd be perfect I was actually hoping you might run this for us, very cool and much appreciated if you do.

Oh and fancy graphics don't matter, just grab your pics from the internet if that works easier for you. I'm just excited to see this countdown go forward!

We desperately need a host. I believe Catsidhe said that he/she could possibly help with graphics.

When do you guys think would be a good time for the countdown? We need some time to actually watch movies first, but maybe don't want to leave it too long if we want to fit on two countdowns next year.

When do you guys think would be a good time for the countdown? We need some time to actually watch movies first, but maybe don't want to leave it too long if we want to fit on two countdowns next year.
I think we usually give 4 months because the countdown takes 2. I don't think that has ever been set in stone though.