Leaving the forum

Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Mark F, who is worshiped here, for instance, watched every single piece of garbage hollywood has made 5 times over and refuses to move out of his little hole being completely ignorant of most of the world's artistic mediums, although he is old so juvenile stuff like games and anime is not in his taste palette but english language literature for instance, is an extremely conservative alternative to watching every single piece of garbage that comes out of hollywood over and over again is not even explored.
I defer my ignorance to your encyclopedic knowledge. I will ask my worshippers to increase their tithes, please.

I have completely different tastes compared to anybody else here.
That says it all.

That's too bad Guap but you're certainly right that there's no point in spending time here if you don't enjoy it. I enjoyed having you here and will miss you.

So am I the only defender of late night anime left? That sucks... I guess.

Guap, you are one of the users with the most hardened tastes in the forums, meaning that you've built quite a cinephilic (?) personality. It's hard to see you go because it's people like you who make MoFo the great and diverse place it is.

But leaving that aside. I can't applaud you for this. In fact I expect this to be a burst that only lasts a few days. Because leaving a forum is fine, if you do it naturally. But making a big fuss to be sure that people notice your absence as much as your presence... no. This isn't the right way to depart, and it harms the mood of the site. I'm not going to tell you to reconsiderate your decision because I think you can evaluate this for yourself and choose what fits better.

I'm always sorry to see people with atypical interests leave, since a mix of tastes makes the forum more interesting.

But let's be clear: very little of your frustration is due to having different opinions. It's due to your insistence on being deferred to. This is evidenced by both the shoehorning of barely-applicable data into subjective discussions, as well as the constant references to the breadth of your viewing experience. Both are appeals to authority meant to end, rather than encourage, discussion on a particular point.

So rather than say I'm sorry to see you go, I'll say that I'm sorry you decided these were the only terms under which you would stay. If you ever reconsider them, I'm sure people would welcome you back.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Guap, I'm fairly new here, and I don't think I've had much interaction with you, but it's a shame when someone with unique tastes leaves the forum.

A forum like this is about two things: 1) what you put into it, and 2) what you get out of it. You've put in your opinions on your favorites, in this case animations, but you should also have gotten out of it the chance to watch some wonderful movies that you normally wouldn't have watched without other people's recommendations.

I also have unique tastes in movies, TV and music, and most people here don't agree with my favorites, but that doesn't make me love my favorites any less. I still post my opinions, and I hope that maybe a few people will take the time to watch them, and hopefully they will at least enjoy them, even if my favorites don't become their favorites.

In addition, I read the recommendations that other people post, and I watch a lot of movies that I have never even heard of before I came here, and I probably never would have heard of without someone's recommendation. They may not become my favorites, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy them and appreciate them.

Only you can know what you have put in and gotten out of this forum. If you've watched some movies and listened to some music that you wouldn't have enjoyed without this forum, then you may want to rethink your decision to leave here. You may even prefer to just read the boards without posting, and you can still enjoy some great movies and music outside of your normal genre, without worrying about what anyone else thinks of your opinions, but then you will deprive the few people who respect your opinions the chance to enjoy some of your favorite movies and music.

Don't let the opinions and harsh words of a few people spoil your chance to enjoy some great movies and music, and maybe help a few other people experience a few of your favorites too.

Guapo taking his talents

May you find your happiness, if not here, elsewhere

As this was supposed to be your last post, I also took the freedom to be very honest towards you. I hope you don't mind.

I don't want to demean you or anything, Guap, but I think you should work on your stability as a person. It's not mentally healthy to get so extremely upset by the stuff you're mentioning.

The reason why so many people here didn't take you seriously is not because your tastes are so different from ours (even if they sometimes are), but it's because you often lack empathy and humor. You take yourself way too seriously and as a result of that you also live in the stubborn illusion that you have a better view on everything than everyone else. That kind of attitude simply rubs people in the wrong way and that's the reason why you got ridiculed so much, especially when your particular opinion was controversial or just plain absurd.

I sometimes appreciated your posts (especially the posts about anime in the appropriate threads for that subject, because you obviously know a lot about that particular medium), but at the same time I also often cringed at your emotionally unintelligent attacks against other people (myself included) when someone tried to challenge you or at your endless attempts to "correct" or "rebuke" people even when you weren't entitled to.

I'm not saying there aren't any other members who are sometimes "sinning" in the same way you do. I'm pretty sure I myself also made many of the same human mistakes because I was passionate about something, but when practically every single post of yours starts to show these "faults" and you're truly serious about it (as you seem to be), something is wrong.

I hope that someday you'll reach some kind of peace of mind that will demolish all your unnecessary and futile frustrations and if officially leaving this place will help you with that, you should definitely persist, but in the first place, I think it's important to take a look at yourself before starting a rant against good people who (I think) never meant to harm you personally. It never hurts to take an intense look in the mirror.

I hope you'll return someday in the future to Movieforums with a more positive and less frustrated look on life and other people and I'm sure everybody will gladly welcome you back.

Adeus, Guap! Desejo-lhe a melhor sorte.

Find your frequency.
I'm new to the forums and after reading your post I would be lying to say I'm sad to see you go. Not because of your differing views, which make forums like this interesting and diverse, but because of your snobby attitude and lack of understanding that all people view things differently and this doesn't make them ignorant. I'm not a huge fan of anime, I am however a fan of animation. I suppose by your logic I'm either a glib moron or a liar. Your departure makes this forum seem a little more welcoming to newcomers.

I'm new to the forums and after reading your post I would be lying to say I'm sad to see you go. Not because of your differing views, which make forums like this interesting and diverse, but because of your snobby attitude and lack of understanding that all people view things differently and this doesn't make them ignorant. I'm not a huge fan of a anime, I am however a fan of animation. I suppose by your logic I'm either a glib moron or a liar. Your departure makes this forum seem a little more welcoming to newcomers.
Welcome to the forums, Defore! I hope you make yourself at home here!

Also make sure you send me your list of your top 25 favorite animated films by Midnight Pacific Time the night of November 30th. Details Here: The MoFo Top Animated Films Countdown.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Why, Guap, why?! I loved Ghibli films and PMMM. Why you hatin' on me. Tentacle hentai is fun. Don't take everything so seriously. If you decide to leave it's ok, but don't make yourself a victim and other members subhumans.

Anyways, have fun with kinky anime!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Farewell

I remember when I first joined how strange your tastes were. One thing about movies though is that nobody seems to have the same taste. Even my tastes which are mainstream 80% of the time still prevent me from encountering someone with identical tastes to my own.

Hell I put the man from nowhere in my sig over a year ago, I think finally last week I got one person to watch it

The only way I could get a couple of my friends interested in "Edge of Tomorrow" was by telling them that they spent 180 million making the film.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
"I’m going to continue making anime until I die." - Hayao Miyazaki

Guap got so excited he ditched the forums and decided to watch Miyazaki films 24 hours a day until he (or Miyazak) dies.

As I started reasoning the post I thought maybe I'd feel sorry for Guap, but as I got further into it I was reminded at why people wing him up so much. Makes it so easy as Cobpyth points out with his lack of humour and the way he acts as if he is a God of anime and everyone must bow down to him. Just because people don't watch anime doesn't mean they can't be a fan of animation

Mark F, who is worshiped here, for instance, watched every single piece of garbage hollywood has made 5 times over and refuses to move out of his little hole being completely ignorant of most of the world's artistic mediums, although he is old so juvenile stuff like games and anime is not in his taste palette but english language literature for instance, is an extremely conservative alternative to watching every single piece of garbage that comes out of hollywood over and over again is not even explored.
I have to admit, I laughed quite a lot at this bit, well quite a lot at all the stuff that he targets at specific members. I think this post will go down in the history books, only Guap could have come up with it.