Recommendations: Animated Films

Tools    

Coming up in the not too distant future, we will be compiling a MoFo Top Animated Films Countdown. All the details of the countdown have yet to be hashed out, but there's no time like the present to get started on your animated film viewing.

So I thought we could use this thread to post animated films that we recommend and to get recommendations from other MoFos for animated films that we may not yet know about.

I'll post a list of my own recommendations in a moment. It's yet to be determined if it will be exclusively an animated features list (with a separate shorts list to follow or to run concurrently) or if it will be open to all animated films, so feel free to post suggestions for animated shorts as well.

ETA, 9/1/2014: I will be hosting The MoFo Top Animated Films Countdown. It will include both feature films and shorts, so get watching and post your recommendations/pimp your favorites here!

Deadline is midnight Pacific Time on December 1st. Details here: The MoFo Top Animated Films Countdown - Voting

I already posted it in my top 101 thread, but I'll post it again:

Millennium Actress (2001)

There's one more animated film coming up after this one and most people will probably know which one it is. I'll tell you about that movie when the time is there, but let me just get this on the record first: IF there's ever an animated film that can become my favorite animated film of all time instead of that one, it's definitely Millennium Actress! My first viewing of it (a year ago, I think) was simply one of the richest (animated) motion picture experiences I've ever had. The story is emotionally extremely resonant, the storytelling is refreshingly original and the visuals are simply FANTASTIC! The film touches on many truths about life and love, but it's how it presents those truths that makes it truly a spectacular and extremely effective piece of cinema!

The story seems quite simple at first. A TV interviewer and his cameraman visit a former famous actress who has kind of lived as a recluse for 30 years.The TV interviewer is a really big fan of hers and is really excited, while the cameraman is much more relaxed about it. Nothing prepares us yet for the sheer blast of originality that will come our way. The interview starts and suddenly Satoshi Kon makes one of the boldest and most refreshing moves I've ever seen. Instead of simply telling the actress' life story through flash backs, he uses the style and environment of the movies she has played in during her career to give us an insightful and wonderfully poetic look inside the soul of the actress. We're not merely getting an enumeration of facts, but in a surreal way, we're experiencing what she's going through psychologically.
We witness her quest for a man that gave her a strange key when she was young. She believes that he will give it all meaning and that he'll be able to bring it all together. She believes that finding him will finally bring her happiness and peace of mind...

Even if you're not into anime, you just have to check this film out. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before or since. The movie breathes love for the film medium, it breathes love for cinematic history and it's all the more fascinating, because this genuine love and passion is partnered with incredible animation, very skillful directing and a truly profound and existentially satisfying script. The creative genius behind this film, Satoshi Kon, has sadly died in 2010 at the young age of 46. He made a few other praised animated films, but for me, this one is his masterpiece.

-------------------------------------------------
Missing this one would be a crime!

I'll post some more recommendations later, but this is the most important one that has to be seen by everyone!

I really liked this one.. better than most Miyazaki films... (except Spirited Away, the Cat Returns and Whispers of the Heart)

My daughter would recommend anything "Clannad" .. Movie or Anime

Let the night air cool you off
A Town Called Panic

If you watch it and like it make sure to check out the television series it's based on. The episodes are only five minutes longs with just 19 episodes. Then vote for it on TV countdown.

Second A Town Called Panic. It's just plain old fun. That's the only sub-titled film my 10-year-old will watch!

Mary and Max

I'll say it because I fear no one else will.

Love me some Heavy Metal.

Obvious picks are also Up, Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Toy Story.

My Recommendations:
Most of these are from my own collection, with a few others added from memory. I may post more recommendations later on.

Traditional Line Animation
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Bambi
Brother Bear
A Cat In Paris
Charlotte's Web
The Emporer's New Groove
Fantasia
Fantastic Planet
The Fox and the Hound
Grave of the Fireflies
Lady and the Tramp
The Land Before Time
Lilo and Stitch
Oliver and Company
The Secret of NIMH
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

Stop Motion Animation
Chicken Run
Corpse Bride
Frankenweenie
Mary and Max.
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Wererabbit

CG Animation
The Ant Bully
Bolt
Cars
Despicable Me
Finding Nemo
Flushed Away (This is CG animation made to look like stop motion)
How to Train Your Dragon
Ice Age
Meet the Robinsons
Monsters, Inc.
Monster House
Over the Hedge
Ratatouille
Shrek
Shrek 2
Surf's Up
Toy Story 3
Up
WALL·E
Wreck It Ralph

Shorts (all animation types)
Ruka/The Hand
Tale of Tales
Fresh Guacamole
Western Spaghetti
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Lorax
For the Birds
Knick Knack
Lifted
Partly Cloudy
Presto
One Man Band
Luxo, Jr.
Red's Dream
Tin Toy
Geri's Game
Jack-Jack Attack
La Luna
Paperman
Scrat: Gone Nutty
Scrat: No Time For Nuts
Harvie Krumpet
Simon's Cat (youtube channel, most of these are excellent)

Most of the Pixar animated shorts can be found in this collection, which I recommend:

I have male friends who would say this is one of the best animated movies out there recently.

and this

Well, personally I was quite disappointed by Millennium Actress. When I saw all of the imagery it looked like it was going to be a fascinating film, but I guess it just wasn't my niche.

Satoshi Kon's first movie, Perfect Blue, is not only one of my favorite animated films, but one of my favorite films period.

Perfect Blue was Satoshi Kon's directorial debut, although he'd already worked on movies and manga. It's a psychological thriller about a singer turned actress who goes through a lifetime's worth of emotional and psychological trauma brought about by a number of things, the nature of her work and what she's had to do to become an actress, pressure from those around her to succeed, harassment by angry fans, and a hallucination that manifests itself physically. The plot is so well written with all of these themes that it will make you wonder what's real and what's fantasy, sending you into the mind of the protagonist. It's one of those movies where every time you watch it you find another piece to the intricate mystery. And the animation is so well drawn with an impressive amount of motion and polish only seen in the absolute best animated films ever made.

I've watched it over and over and over. I've watched it back to back. Every time I watch it I fall more in love with it.

Ralph Bakshi's Heavy Traffic.

A Scanner Darkly

Antz
The Incredibles (maybe my favorite animated film)
Akira

My Recommendation:

Fall in.

Everything to do with this animation countdown -- just fall in here, pretty please.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackhole2.jpg
Views:	3350
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	16801  

In no particular order; just off the top of my head; leaving anime, Disney, and Pixar out of this:

Ernest & Celestine
The Secret of Kells
Waltz with Bashir
Watership Down
Plague Dogs
Alice
A Scanner Darkly
The Man Who Planted Trees
Crac
Almost any National Film Board of Canada shorts actually (our claim to fame in the cinematic world)
When the Wind Blows
The Wrong Trousers
Duck Amuck
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Mascot 1934-- it's in the public domain, you should probably be able to find it on Youtube

I'll say it because I fear no one else will.

Love me some Heavy Metal.
I second this, big time. Heavy Metal is pretty much a classic. It's definitely a must see for everyone participating in this list.

Well, my list will be almost entirely Japanese anime, but for non-Japanese animation along the lines of Heavy Metal and Fantastic Planet I would also put forward:

Gandahar
Fire and Ice
Wizards
Time Masters (which I haven't watched yet but intend to, it looks incredible)

Other mentions I'd also second are The Secret of Nymh, Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, and A Scanner Darkly.

Another noteworthy film is Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland. A lovable children's film, but of such high quality that even an adult can appreciate.

Well, personally I was quite disappointed by Millennium Actress. When I saw all of the imagery it looked like it was going to be a fascinating film, but I guess it just wasn't my niche.
Well, it IS a fascinating film and I personally can't understand people who think otherwise. It's one of those "perfect" films, in my opinion.

@Jiraffe: I liked the beginning of Heavy Metal (the cab story) and I actually wished the whole film would've centered around that character. Some of the other short stories were fun too, but I wasn't completely satisfied, because nothing ever reached the level of the first story for me.

Still a great overall watch, though.

I'll definitely watch some more low budget animated films like that one for this list. I love the free-spirited atmosphere of those movies.

It might also be helpful to recommend some animation film directors.

I'll try to watch most of the stuff from these guys:

Ralph Bakshi (Liked Fritz the Cat and people say he's made better stuff)
Bill Plympton (I watched his two Oscar nominated short films and they were excellent!)
Don Bluth (Still need to see two of his classics)
Makoto Shinkai (One of the more recent sensations in the anime world)

Does anyone has any other recommendations?

Well, it IS a fascinating film and I personally can't understand people who think otherwise. It's one of those "perfect" films, in my opinion.

@Jiraffe: I liked the beginning of Heavy Metal (the cab story) and I actually wished the whole film would've centered around that character. Some of the other short stories were fun too, but I wasn't completely satisfied, because nothing ever reached the level of the first story for me.
Of course you love the Noir part of Heavy Metal.

Srsly though it is a great flick.

Let the night air cool you off
What does that have to do with me?