The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I'm pretty sure that Sony's main reason for getting into VR were the warehouses full of unsold Move controllers and an accountant saying "I wonder how we can shift these things in 2017?"
They gotta start pushing this Joust stuff, find another developer or two to utilize them in some similarly ingenious/physical way, and then go on tour and/or start bundling. It's kinda funny that they made this foray into motion stuff (I assume kinda as a response to the Wii? I forget the timing) and haven't tried much to capitalize on it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I think we can all agree that one part of Nintendo is magic. Srsly. I have never seen anything come close to Mario games in charm and playability. There are some bright spots with Rayman games, but I'm lost on how nobody else can duplicate the stuff Nintendo puts out.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it: magic. I think the fact that you have some of the same creative people there over so many years, and that it's their life's work, probably helps. There's less of a team assembling/mercenary thing going on than there are with the other companies. Not that that can't produce good things, and obviously these places are likely building their own culture over time. But you can't fake that or expedite it, I don't think.

The People's Republic of Clogher
They gotta start pushing this Joust stuff, find another developer or two to utilize them in some similarly ingenious/physical way, and then go on tour and/or start bundling. It's kinda funny that they made this foray into motion stuff (I assume kinda as a response to the Wii? I forget the timing) and haven't tried much to capitalize on it.
I think what Sony didn't realise was that the Wii was a fantastic toy, bought in its millions by people who didn't usually buy games consoles. A completely different target market to the existing PS3 owners.

At least Move worked, I guess, unlike X360 Kinect. That Jenga-style block puzzle game was neat too.

I watched the Microsoft Xbox One reveal the other day. Boy, did they misunderstand the market! A huge, underpowered, always online machine with Kinect integral to the experience, concentrating on TV as much as games?

The One S (which tellingly doesn't even have a Kinect port on the back) and now the X have righted the ship but I bet there were some serious conversations in 2013-14 in Microsoft about whether it was even worth being in the hardware business.

Gimmicks, eh?

Before it's gone, Killer Is Dead is free on Humble right now - Link

Extremely stylish and pretty flawed - Suda51 in a nutshell, really, but totally worth spending an hour or two with when you're not paying for it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
The One S (which tellingly doesn't even have a Kinect port on the back) and now the X have righted the ship but I bet there were some serious conversations in 2013-14 in Microsoft about whether it was even worth being in the hardware business.
Yeah, kinda unsurprising they're holding back on console VR for now after that burn. (Although their inside-out tracker headsets seem pretty perfect for the market. Easy installation, no sensors to set up etc. Definitely expect it to happen...)

EDIT: I wonder if the plan is to arrange for ports of PC titles first? And maybe crossplay to tackle the multiplayer population aspect? (Would be ironic if they won the crossplay war with Sony generally. Late to the party, but always well placed as OS kings...)

---

Ironically my 360 only gets used for streaming media and this...

Pulled some fun quotes from Reddit's Skyrim VR reactions. Def positive on balance so far...

Skyrim Fever?

The Reddit responses to Skyrim VR are pretty solid. Lots of caveats in there about the distance view being fuzzy (making clocking foe behaviour tricky, and lessening outdoors awe despite the scale), various control idiosyncrasies, and various bugs naturally (players being shrunk to dwarf size being an amusing one ). But... mainly a stream of positives so far, and from the same users discussing the downsides

Some fun themes. Definitely the sort of thing I was hoping to hear on what VR could add if done right:

NPCs being a bit more impactful:

NPCs feel more like real people than before. I find myself stopping and listening to random conversations more than I usually do. I felt pretty freaking rotten after getting a minor character killed during a mission. The emotional immersion is upped too!
EDIT:
Interacting with NPCs in VR feels amazing. The lip movements when speaking are actually done pretty well, and definitely adds to the immersion. Walking among the townsfolk feels great, and gives the the game a depth it never had before. NPCs will look at you when you walk past them, and you can size them up as well. It definitely adds a connection with the world that the game never had outside of VR.

Rummage and roam zen factors:

I've always like Skyrim, so I'm probably biased, but as a previous commenter had already said, it's the little differences. I notice more, I'm actually stopping to read all the books and don't feel rushed to push on. The first time I came out of the starting caverns was night time and seeing Secunda and Masser hanging in the air behind clouds was surprising and exhilarating because I had always come out in daylight before. That told me I'd spent more time just staring at things. I also realised how much I'd missed, noticing chests and areas that I completely bypassed. Bleakfalls barrow felt completely new. At the end of four hours I stepped into Dragonsreach. I stood there just taking it in. It also felt like such a different space and they nailed why the Nords would revere it so much.
I never bothered with horse riding in the original, I can’t get enough of it in VR. Just laid back and enjoying the landscape.

Combat works also pretty well from the horse, though I hit my table several times while axing some wolves down.

More intense 'in the moment' stuff:

Using the move controllers and playing on expert, I feel like I just went through it for the first time. I was mentally exhausted afterwards, and breathed a sigh of relief when I exited.

Seriously...I feel like i’m there. By the way....Wielding torches is INSANELY cool!
...And that first arrow that whipped past my face as I charged a bandit archer....what a rush!
EDIT: And of course, spiders

Magic wielding & bows being cool:

...the first time I dual-casted the flame spell was amazing. A real blast of sound, and wow, the visual was really nice. As an archer, the aiming is spot-on, although you do have to raise your angle to compensate for distance (ala the original Skyrim). VERY accurate...if you have played the archer in Ancient Amuletor and found it to be frustrating...so did I. I feel like a Khajit Legolas in Skyrim.
...spells is where it’s at. Conjured a familiar last night, and man, just awesome (looks like a damn dire wolf).
I am sooooooo in love with Move-magic-casting. I’m burning baddies down with one hand while daring them to get close enough to use my axe in the other.
EDIT:
Then, I used my Ritual Stone power of resurrecting the dead around me while entering Bleak Falls - and FWOOSH! This gorgeous green and bright light surrounds me, fills the whole dungeon, and one by one dead bandits and skeevers rise up as reanimated corpses around me, their bodies glowing in the dark room. The depth and scale of the power, the bodies rising up, and the sound and visuals completely around me sold me on the idea that yes, this is going to be an awesome ride once again

EDIT: Sword and board *might* be fun?:

I assumed this would be slight, as it's easy to make it feel that way in the VR melee I've tried, if the feedback is poor and the AI wooden. (Which it was in the original). Possibly they've taken the chance to up their game here though?

Q: Can you block with a sword only?

A: Only a long sword, as far as I'm aware.. It doesn't seem as effective as a shield and I couldn't get along with it, whereas the shield is fantastic IMO I literally hold it up in a panic sometimes, iv caught arrows in it lol then removed and kept for myself hehe
"The biggest strength of this game is the combat."

... something I never thought I'd hear about an Elder Scrolls game. But I don't disagree! The Moves make it so fun!
(source)

Still wait and see on this, but seems functional at least

EDIT: Novel physics fun:

So of course you can dump bowls on NPCs heads with more elan with your hands, but it seems novel options are afoot...

Someone balanced a bear trap on his sword and bamboozled the bandits, many interesting things here boys!
Not to mention the new game of googly eyes using the Move controllers

---

Some pure negative nuggests in there too, from guys who felt their $60 is a bust (mainly VR heads so far who feel it's a compromise too far / doesn't hit the quality of more compact games like the recent RES 7 etc). And I suspect melee stuff is still ultimately pretty light and spammy. But generally, promising . And good to hear lots of Skrim vets finding the experience fresh. I am genuinely worried about the potential timesink this represents if it hits PC

Over two years after @Tacitus recommended it, I finally started playing Massive Chalice (I refuse to capitalize it as a protest for how ugly it makes my library look). Not bad so far. I like the humor. The combat feels like a crude version of better turn-based strategy (so far, nothing about cover, I guess?). Hoping the broader strategy stuff ends up being the star, because based on JUST (there you go, Double Fine) the combat, there'd be little reason to play it compared to just playing XCOM2 again.

Don't want to jump to too many conclusions, but this already feels like it'd be a great candidate for a sequel with a lot of expansion and polish, though I can't imagine that'll happen.

I'm playing this in part because I've decided to go through a lot of small and mid-sized games before playing the big timesink AAA stuff I've been sitting on (The Witcher 3, Dishonored 2, etc). Been getting through a lot of it, and trying to avoid the sunk cost fallacy by being willing to just try-and-then-ditch the ones that don't move me. I have a lot of games I spent $1-5 on, so I'm sure I've thrown away several dozens of dollars based on this ruthlessness, but I know it's the way to go.

Oh, I don't know if I mentioned this, but I played one of the Rusty Lake games (Rusty Lake: Roots, which is apparently the latter of the two). So, so weird...but I really enjoyed it. The puzzles are quite good. It's odd to say this, but they're engaging even when they're not challenging. Most puzzle games have a mix of puzzles, where some are too easy, and some are too hard, but I'd say 90% of the puzzles in this game are perfectly fine. Few are brilliant, but even fewer are bad. They're all slightly above average.

I think part of this is that they vary so much. Some feel like classic logic puzzles repurposed into the medium, and others feel totally original.

Anyway, looking forward to playing Rusty Lake: Hotel soon, and I'll probably be interested in whatever Rusty Lake does next.

Over two years after @Tacitus recommended it, I finally started playing Massive Chalice (I refuse to capitalize it as a protest for how ugly it makes my library look). Not bad so far. I like the humor. The combat feels like a crude version of better turn-based strategy (so far, nothing about cover, I guess?). Hoping the broader strategy stuff ends up being the star, because based on JUST (there you go, Double Fine) the combat, there'd be little reason to play it compared to just playing XCOM2 again.

Don't want to jump to too many conclusions, but this already feels like it'd be a great candidate for a sequel with a lot of expansion and polish, though I can't imagine that'll happen.

I'm playing this in part because I've decided to go through a lot of small and mid-sized games before playing the big timesink AAA stuff I've been sitting on (The Witcher 3, Dishonored 2, etc). Been getting through a lot of it, and trying to avoid the sunk cost fallacy by being willing to just try-and-then-ditch the ones that don't move me. I have a lot of games I spent $1-5 on, so I'm sure I've thrown away several dozens of dollars based on this ruthlessness, but I know it's the way to go.
Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see a Massive Chalice 2. The guy behind it, Brad Muir (aka the Biggest Smile in Games), left Double Fine to go and work for Valve not long after the game's release.

A system of cells interlinked
Down to the last mission or two in Deus Ex : Mankind Divided.

Good game. Mechanically a bit better than Human Revolution; plot-wise, not so much. Plot was kind of small potatoes in comparison to HR. It was fun to play through another game as Adam Jensen, though.

Up next: Farcry 4. I had played a bit of this previously, but my old 560Ti wasn't quite up to the task without dialing down the graphics quite a bit. My current card runs this on ultra with no issues. I am ready for some open-world goodness, and this will fit the bill. I played a bit last night (started the game over) and spent most of the time wandering around marveling at the slick graphics.

Man. Man. The more I play Massive Chalice, the more bummed I am. Not because it's bad, but because I'm enjoying it more even with all the flaws, and it could've been something really tremendous.

Man.

I've done so much Skyrim VR research I've got the theme tune stuck in my head again :/

---

EDIT:

More studiousness!

While blundering around looking at LA Noire previews, I stumbled on this cool Father and son bond over game piece from Eurogamer.

Well worth a read! But the short story is, it lauds the detail they put into the world recreation (essentially flagging it as the most personable aspect of the game, which is probably true). And it also shines a light on some genuine 'angel and sinner' behaviour of the cops at the time, due to the writer's granddad being on the force, and his dad, who's reminiscing with him, having grown up during that period.

The dad's summation of the experience is cool:

"Viewing L.A. Noire was an exciting and thoughtful experience. For a few hours I was able to re-explore the L.A. I knew in the late forties and early fifties with my son. The city was dark, but even with the period's dim street lighting and within the slightly truncated map of the city, we were able to find our way around. The prizes for me were the Richfield Building, Angels Flight (located where it belonged next to the 3rd Street tunnel - it has since been relocated one block south) and the wonderful cars of the era. I was able to remember exactly how to get around from both the towering City Hall and the slightly uncomfortable space of Pershing Square. This seemed a refreshingly thoughtful-almost intellectual-scenario that I would not have expected in something called a game.

"The accuracy with which the city structures and roadways are recreated is really astounding, and the details were almost perfect! Minor faults would not be evident to most who did not live in the city at that time. For sure this was a real as well as a virtual return for me to that complex and dark city at that time.

"To be able to experience it again with my son who was born 20 years after I first left the city was, I think, wonderful for us both."
Puts me in mind of that time Peter Bradshaw met Red Dead Redemption

Destiny 2 (PC) is 40% off on GMG right now. Having played the beta, it's a fantastic port (one of the best console ports I've seen in years) and I'm tempted to get this, even after 100+ hours spent in the PS4 version.

You really like that game, dontcha. For the layperson, what makes this different from a military twitch shooter?

To be honest, it's an MMORPG rather than a COD style shooter.

I think it's also the setting. As someone who grew up with army on the streets, I've always hated modern 'realistic' shooters. Never been a Halo fan either so me liking the new game by their original developers surprised me.

The actual shooty-shooty stuff feels fantastic, amongst the best I've seen on a console. The whole package is flawed, for sure - The story is awful (although told a lot better than the first game's) and there's really not a lot to do apart from the raid once you've completed it - but there's enough for me in it to unreservedly recommend at £26.

A few weeks after release, Gran Turismo Sport is now half price on PSN.

That went well.
They can keep it. I'm perfectly happy with Project Rains and its seemingly unlimited number of tracks.

Sure, I'm not big on "you drive this car, you drive here", but it's a minor quibble.

I keep looking to see NFS Payback drop.

Initial impressions were solid - The driving's really good - but there's just not enough there to justify a full price game. I imagine that the sales have tanked so there aren't many in multiplayer, which is the only reason to play the damn thing. Not a good year for driving games - This, Forza's lukewarm reception and NFS's ****show of a release.

At least Burnout Paradise is backwards compatible on the Xbone.

Initial impressions were solid - The driving's really good - but there's just not enough there to justify a full price game. I imagine that the sales have tanked so there aren't many in multiplayer, which is the only reason to play the damn thing. Not a good year for driving games - This, Forza's lukewarm reception and NFS's ****show of a release.

At least Burnout Paradise is backwards compatible on the Xbone.

One of my oldest PSN friends came from the first days of GT5P. We suffered through the never happened release dates and were part of a great PS forums group that created events and cultivated a following. The guy was hands down one of the best roller racers out there.

I messaged him about getting Sport and he said no chance.