1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

Both Alex and Nestorio have been good Hof members in the past. I know from past Hofs that Nestorio always gets the job done...but both are MIA from the board, hopefully they return to finish the Hof.

So how about putting The Last Picture Show and Three Days of the Condor in 'limbo'...so that they are not removed, but not required to watch either. That gives them a chance to return to the Hof.

Ed what do you think?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Not too shabby an idea. . .
I know giving them to the start of December gives everyone AND the two of them a month to watch and review everything since the tentative deadline will be January 12.

We can discuss that now or at the cut off time in the beginning of December.

For me, Condor was a happy revisit and I'm gonna watch Picture Show regardless because it's one of those that I really should have seen by now. So, I'm pretty open and just trying to keep things fair for all involved.

Eraserhead

. . . . . . . . . um, I am truly at a loss at how to start this. And please, understand, that isn't a bad thing, I just don't know if I have the words to describe or make sufficient notes on what I witnessed.

One silly thought that popped into my head from the get go was: if I'd seen this in my youth it definitely would have been one of those "you should be tripping when you see this," movies, and yes, even for some of it, I'm pretty sure I would have.

Because, let me tell ya, the tagline of being surreal scarcely covers the very cerebral, awkward dream world that Lynch drops you into without any direction or assistance. Which, actually works; since I don't know if I could've handled the more intimate reasoning for all of it beyond the general opinion about "fear of being a father".
There is something lurking beneath that belief that borders on something Lovecraft-like without going into another realm to seek out something "nameless", and is easily found within the mind of those in this movie. A spit saturated curve ball for the brain to recoil at while finding itself drawing closer and closer, and still be unable to truly grasp - or more appropriately, be relieved that most of it remains enigmatic.

And, again, this isn't a negative review, it is. . . well, watch it if you never have and you'll see how actual words begin to fail and you simply shudder trying to comprehend or explain things.

I do need to mention that the actors excel at their special anxiety, propelling you through this. Especially the lead actor.
I won't go too far in description and I'll omit the imagery of this film until more people view it so that I don't ruin the bizarre ride that this film is.
I'll just sit here at the end and nod sympathetically, "I know, I know," and ask if you're okay.

@Yam12 I say this with complete adoration: you sick, twisted, demented creature, you!
Thank you for nominating this so that I finally got to see it.

I do need to mention that the actors excel at their special anxiety, propelling you through this. Especially the lead actor.
I really like that nervous expression he has on him throughout the movie, as if he used to live in our world (The normal world) and is trying to cope with the symbolic insanity of the Eraserhead world.

Is Captain T still in as well?
yep, both are in. Jay is moving slow, but has assured me, when sending out PMs that he is still in. And had posted a review for The Warriors shortly after.

and CaptainT is a little involved with school work and, like Jay, answered my PM and expressed his wish to continue as well.

So, they're noms are still open and I've set Nestorio's (Three Days of the Condor) and Alex's (The Last Picture Show) in Limbo - noting them on the front page. Which will remain til the first week of December and we will see if they return to the site or not.
Everyone has a choice of watching them or waiting til after the first week of December to see what befalls them.

EDIT: Also, the reason for setting it for the first week of December is simply that the tentative deadline is for January 12 and, if they return, that would be a reasonable time to play catch up without leaving too much pressure and also, being the Holidays allows everyone else ample time to plan out their own schedules in watching and reviewing.

something that puzzles me is when people say they "don't get" eraserhead. I understand this term in terms of not liking but not when somebody means that they dont understand what its trying to do. Its not some complex unsolvable puzzle and in fact its quite simply about the fears of fatherhood conveyed with an extremely stylistic style of directing

I really like that nervous expression he has on him throughout the movie, as if he used to live in our world (The normal world) and is trying to cope with the symbolic insanity of the Eraserhead world.
I completely agree. That look that remained throughout was exceptional. It was an excellent focal point as you traveled the surreal world, making him a companion in the experience as it were.

Oh, and, since the movie does have an initial hard impact, what many would simply say "repulsion" I wasn't able to respond to @Doc Holiday's comment on "Hats off to anybody who sees the brilliance in Eraserhead.... I'm just not one of them." that I was truly unable to comprehend at the time, DID I? Was I? Could I?
And now, some days later, having come out the other end, I do believe I may have to the point that I may see this again before the end of the HoF knowing now, what occurs in this movie.

I wasn't able to respond to @Doc Holiday's comment on "Hats off to anybody who sees the brilliance in Eraserhead.... I'm just not one of them."
Maybe the brilliance he was talking about was the film in general, not necessarily its technical level.

something that puzzles me is when people say they "don't get" eraserhead. I understand this term in terms of not liking but not when somebody means that they dont understand what its trying to do. Its not some complex unsolvable puzzle and in fact its quite simply about the fears of fatherhood conveyed with an extremely stylistic style of directing
perhaps that has more to do with the personal reaction when first seeing this and, perhaps, not so much an inability to comprehend the director's intention. . .

Its not some complex unsolvable puzzle and in fact its quite simply about the fears of fatherhood conveyed with an extremely stylistic style of directing
That's the simplest and most popular opinion, but David Lynch disagrees.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Eraserhead

My second watch. I really like the feeling that this is a freakish dream. It's a movie that capitalizes on it's eerie atmosphere. I really like the black and white cinematography and I like the lead role character too. He's got a pretty awesome fro too. I will say that I think I appreciated the tale it was trying to tell the first time I saw it. I actually found myself a bit puzzled this time, perhaps it was because I was looking for a sort of specific meaning. But it's a different type of film that I actually don't mind watching. This was going to be my nomination, but it was taken from me by Yam . I guess if anything I realized it is a bit of a difficult film to talk about certainly. A bit of a knock down from the first watch.

+

interesting I heard he dosent talk about it?

Can I have a link?

interesting I heard he dosent talk about it?

Can I have a link?
He doesn't say what it's about, just that none of the theories that have floated around match his.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/david...ht-movies.html

My theory is just that it's an experimental horror film that wasn't supposed to mean much of anything. That's not meant as a knock on him as I believe he has a knack for creating surreal worlds that are open for interpretation. On the other hand, I believe if a viewer tries hard enough, they can find deep meaning in anything.

a knack for creating surreal worlds
That's definitely what he's best at: creating nightmare worlds, often beautiful worlds too. Lynch has easily got to me more than any other filmmaker, i dunno his films aren't exactly scary but they definitely unsettle me. Just about every piece of his work has something: all of Eraserhead, all of Inland Empire, large parts of Twin Peaks Episode 8 of the new Season in particular, the mystery man in Lost Highway, the dumpster scene in Mulholland Drive, Frank in Blue Velvet, etc. That's easily what i love about his work; couldn't care less what any of it means. Think i started enjoying Lynch alot more when i entered that mindset, just trying to experience it rather than solve it.

I had read that too

and Camo makes an excellent point: better to experience a Lynch movie than to solve it.

Currently would say Elephant Man is his best work, with Eraserhead second.
Eraserhead, Elephant Man and Fire Walk With Me are joint favourites for me, not including Twin Peaks the show. Have to see Inland Empire and Lost Highway again to be sure.