Actors who starred in more roles despite retiring

Tools    

The truth is in here
Okay, I think we can stop waiting for Gene Hackman or Sidney Poitier to come back. But there are a few (although very few indeed) actors who came back for at least one more role. Who can you think of?

First name that pops into mind for me is Sean Connery. Yes I know, The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman is still his last theatrical movie, but he did make a guest star appearance in a TV show plus did some voice-over work. His last role to date is Sir Billi.

Clint Eastwood announced he would retire from acting with Gran Torino, but then starred in Trouble With The Curve plus had a small cameo in American Sniper.

Joe Pesci slowly and surely has started acting again, and will now star alongside Robert De Niro and Al Pacino in The Irishman. Man have I missed Joe Pesci the mobster.

Any other examples?

This might just do nobody any good.
Peter Cushing came out of permanent retirement last year.

If this includes actresses then I got one. Jane Fonda. Way back in 1990 she said she was done acting. She came back in 2005 in a movie called Monster-in-Law. Since then she has done many movies and a
TV Series. Plus the voice in Elena of Avalor.

The truth is in here
Even though I heard Clint Eastwood had a cameo in American Sniper, I could never find it no matter how many times I rewinded. Nevertheless, with The Mule he's gonna star in his own movie for the first time in eleven years. The story sounds really good and very fitting for Eastwood.

Jack Nicholson is also planning on doing a post-retirement role, portraying the famous Finnish figure Toni in Toni Erdmann, based on the 2016 biography of the same name. The progress is going slow, but for now it still looks like he's starring in it.

Eddie Murphy temporarily retired from acting between 2012 and 2016 (the only exception was a TV role in 2013), but later made his return with Mr. Church. And now with several more roles lined up, we can happily look forward to seeing more of him.

Jack Nicholson is also planning on doing a post-retirement role, portraying the famous Finnish figure Toni in Toni Erdmann, based on the 2016 biography of the same name. The progress is going slow, but for now it still looks like he's starring in it.
But there’s already a Toni Erdmann movie; an excellent movie. Are you saying there was a real person with this name? Finland? The movie is German-Austrian. Very confused.

Redford now says he regrets his retirement announcement &, apparently, has rescinded it.

Rather like Elton John & Billy Joel who have had multiple farewell tours.

This might just do nobody any good.
Jack was going to star in an American remake of Toni Erdmann.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
There's a lot of Hong Kong actors who temporarily retired but then returned either sporadically or gone full force. One of the classic examples of the latter is actually Michelle Yeoh, currently appearing in Crazy Rich Asians. She made a few films in the early 80's until she retired in late 1987 when she married producer Dickson Poon. After the couple divorced in 1992, she made her comeback in a major way, partnering with Jackie Chan in Police Story III: Supercop and she's been on a roll since.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, his wife Joan Lin, was one of the most popular actresses in 60's and 70's Taiwanese films until she married Chan in 1982. She had retired since but made a small cameo appearance in his 2012 film Chinese Zodiac.

Jack was going to star in an American remake of Toni Erdmann.
I can definitely see him in that rôle, but the original cannot be improved upon.