Jdmassimo, I totally agree with you. I don't know whether you got my responce so
am going to post this.
Spanish dialogue and a few thoughts. Do respond
November 20 2003 at 8:41 PM
No score for this post derry
(no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The party scene, they start to speak spanish, almost puposely to further alienate Betty/Diane which cuts with the crash of the cofee cup to the diner, seeing the waitress (named has changed again) meeting the hitman, (I am not convinced the hit man isn't another extension of her fictional remembrances).I think it's obvious that what we are seeing early on in the movie is Betty's memories replayed in her DRUG induced miserably bleak state, also the laboured way we see her making coffee, the ganster throwing up the coffee, this is when we are hearing the phrase for the first time, when they are planning the casting of Camilla. " This is the girl". Some times I do believe that Lynch toys with obvious statments. Maybe this is the girl,( literally puking coffee) this is her last miserable day, remembered with huge denial, anger and regret. Her failed career, betty's hopeful one, (I don't think Diane was the stellar actor she was perceived to be.) There is a lot of self projection by Diane, the non supportive parents, terrorizing her at the end, mocking essentially Betty's wide eyed inoccent arrival.
Her glamerous cheating girlfriend Rita/Camilla could be another Failed actress, when we see Camilla toward the end of the movie being shoved out the door by a dejected Diane she is speaking w/ an accent, dressed a little like a prostitute, maybe she was just that. The hitman was asking a hooker if she had seen her, I also think this prostitute was the Camilla who auditions,"this is the girl", who also is seen as the hopeful actress whispering and kissing Rita at the party. Possibly Diane's diluted memory of a real party. Note we see Cowboy walk accross the room in the distance. Wheels are in motion.
The colours, I think blue is death obviously, smoke, box, maybe the pink could a homosexual referance? Why pour pink paint over the wife's FAMILY JEWELS ? Adam's wife. Alot of the characters are conveniently obvious by nature. Maybe this is an indicator that they are all just a cast in the diluted rememberances of a woman racked with guilt over the loss of her girlfriend, or the murder of her,denial and internal torment about her sexuality. The cowboy, a grim reaper? One's attitude, Diane the obvious polar opposite to Betty. As is Rita to Camilla, conviently for Diane replaying the reasoning, victimization that propels her to order the killing, or maybe just killing, herself. Why does Rita feel compelled to change her appearance to look more like Betty, after returning from the corpse? Let me help, " I know what you have to do" Betty says. Rita wakes up saying "silencio" taking Betty in to the Club, Spanish version of Crying, maybe Diane is saying goodbye to her spanish femme as she returns to the host who can no longer facilitate her being if she is not alive to imagine it. Betty shaking, blue box appearance, possibly the moment of her death. The cowboy does return for the second time, at the party, btw, he said he would if Adam was BAD.
Adam ? I think the content of the script at Betty's stellar audition is very interesting. I am almost sure it had an element of sexual misconduct, maybe a painful memory of a rape. The fact that she nails it lends you to believe that that feeling of empowerment is the only way Diane could possibly replay a moment like that. The scene with the guy pushing the prostitute in the back of the van, this I am sure was the girl who played the Camilla hand picked actress, also the waitress, whos name changed I can't remeber, Betty to Diane ? "Maybe this is the girl." Maybe this is all Diane.
I honestly think that the only death in this movie is the suicide.