Your Favorite Dark Comedy Movie

Tools    

I love a dark comedy. First ones that come to mind are Heathers, Pulp Fiction and Cable Guy. There are a lot more probably I'd come up with if I thought about it for a moment

Just out of interest is there a difference between a 'dark comedy' and a 'black comedy'? Just you see the same film sometimes described as both so I'm never sure
I would say the distinction is that a 'dark comedy' is a film which appears to be a comedy but is actually dealing with deeper, more dramatic issues. For example, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is comic but it is ultimately about a disintegrating marriage. A 'black comedy' is a comedy about issues that would normally be used for serious drama (such as murder) but instead are treated as sources of comedy. The humour tends to be broader, perhaps more visual and more overtly shocking than a 'dark comedy'.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I would also have to add American Beauty to my list. Had forgotten just how wonderful it is until I watched it a few days ago

I would say the distinction is that a 'dark comedy' is a film which appears to be a comedy but is actually dealing with deeper, more dramatic issues. For example, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is comic but it is ultimately about a disintegrating marriage. A 'black comedy' is a comedy about issues that would normally be used for serious drama (such as murder) but instead are treated as sources of comedy. The humour tends to be broader, perhaps more visual and more overtly shocking than a 'dark comedy'.
Thanks for that. Certainly a very interesting and convincing opinion

I think 'dark' and 'black' are pretty interchangable, though maybe I would draw a distinction of degree rather than kind. For example I find Dr. Strangelove pretty dark. Humanity as stupid and eager to hand power over to the insane and incompetent, causing nuclear warfare. I think it would be reasonable to call this black comedy.

The darkest, blackest comedy I know might be Seven Beauties. The holocaust as a sex comedy. Humanity as inherently evil, self-interested, vulgar and worthless. There's just nothing redeeming in that movie at all. Not even an "excuse" like insanity or stupidity.

Careful, man. There's a beverage here!
Severance (2006) A team-building weekend in the mountains of Eastern Europe goes horribly wrong for the sales division of the multi-national weapons company Palisade Defence when they become the victims of a group of crazed killers who will stop at nothing to see them dead.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Have to vote for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Dark, funny and very enjoyable.
God yes, I can't believe I forgot this one! One of my favourite films of the 00s with one of my favourites scenes - Russian roulette.

Thats actually really insightful. I'd never considered there was a distinction before.

Has anyone seen 'In Bruge' (2008)? I thought that awesome.

Dr.Strangelove is probably the best from this genre and I can truly call it dark comedy but my favorite is Pulp Fiction.

My favorite is obviously Pulp Fiction. Because Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie of all time!!!
I also really love Fargo and American Psycho.
Another great one that not enough people have seen is Bernie. Check it out!

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Another great one that not enough people have seen is Bernie. Check it out!
do you mean this "Bernie"?

I watched it a while ago with my Argentine friend... its a crazy f*cked up film!!!

do you mean this "Bernie"?

I watched it a while ago with my Argentine friend... its a crazy f*cked up film!!!
haha no sorry, I meant this Bernie.

The Details (2011)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Cable Guy

Not my favourite but one that takes unfair critisism, it's my favourite Carrey comedy and Carrey is the greatest comedy actor of his generation.

Some of my favorite dark comedies:

Brazil (1985)
The Player (1992)
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
The Graduate (1967)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
The Apartment (1960)
Stardust Memories (1980)
Manhattan (1979)
After Hours (1985)
The Long Goodbye (1973)

haha no sorry, I meant this Bernie.

lol the one I posted is a dark comedy as well... its pretty damn funny and well.. just way out there....

Dark comedies

Three films by Anders Thomas Jensen.

Adams Aebler

De grønne slagtere

Blinkende lygter