The Tatty 100

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
The suspense is killing me! Where are the rest??
Patience, my child. Patience.

50. Don’t Look Now (1973, Nicolas Roeg)

A haunting, unforgettable account of how the death of a child can pull a marriage to it‘s very edges. Unsettling and supernatural.

49. Fargo (1996, Joel Coen)

Well-written, beautifully filmed and freezing cold. For all The Coens’ perceived quirkiness, Frances McDormand’s cop-with-a-bump is a very human heroine.

And the 'Trucoat' stunt? Yeah, I've done it.

48. The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp (1943, Powell & Pressburger)

A gorgeous account of one man’s life in the army and the women (all played by Deborah Kerr) he loved. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger were without peer, in my eyes, as the cinematic stylists of their day. True masters of their art.

47. The Conversation (1974, Francis Coppola)

Downbeat and understated, with a wonderful performance from Gene Hackman as the awkward and increasingly paranoid surveillance expert hired to spy on a couple.

46. This Is Spinal Tap (1984, Rob Reiner)

Poignant and sweet, this documentary…if you will…rockumentary of one of England’s loudest bands goes one louder to show us the true power of music. But hey, enough of my yakkin’, let’s boogie!

45. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966, Sergio Leone)

The quintessential Spaghetti Western…

44. Mona Lisa (1986, Neil Jordan)

A film all about voyeurism. From the sad old men in Soho to the rough and ready chauffer, desperately in love with the high class call girl far beyond his reach. A gem from Neil Jordan.

43. Goodfellas (1990, Martin Scorsese)

Thesedays, not a lot more needs saying about Goodfellas. The sheer joy of Henry’s schooling in and subsequent life of crime is wonderfully evocative. People talk about ‘the restaurant shot’ but, for me, it’s ‘the Layla shot’ which brings home, not just the bacon, but the whole darned pig…

42. Amadeus (1984, Milos Forman)

A movie so sumptuous that I need to loosen my belt after a viewing.

Rock me Amadeus! (sorry)

41. Whiskey Galore! (1949, Alexander Mackendrick)

Ahhhh Ealing, the greatest of all British Studios. And this is one of their finest efforts - 250,000 bottles of whiskey find their way to the shores of a small Scottish island after a shipwreck. You’d alert the authorities at once……..wouldn’t you?

Great list, i love all those films, a lot of them were a lot higher up on my list though, can't wait to see what else you included.

I haven't seen half of these. But a fine lot they look so far!

A system of cells interlinked
Now just how did I miss THIS thread? I have just been so busy lately, I am so behind on my MoFo fun.

Great list so far....

I will let the Lawrence of Arabia comment slide, for now...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yeah, what's the deal? I'm tired of waiting!!

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Sedai
I will let the Lawrence of Arabia comment slide, for now...
Hehe...don't worry Sedai Lawrence of Arabia wasn't getting dissed. I was really ribbing Dave about Sideways. We've discussed that movie through PM's and...well we sort of have a different opinion about it. We were just playing...honest.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Annie, you'll be saddened to hear that Calamity Jane doesn't make the list - such is your penchant for cracking whips.
That is a calamity.
Will there be any Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly movies making the list?

Hmmm...cracking whips doesn't work on you...and you're immune to nagging...
...would starting a fire under you help you to continue with your list?

Originally Posted by Aniko
Will there be any Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly movies making the list?
No Fred Astaire, and not even any Freddie Starr. I don't think I've got any dancin' movies - not even Three Men And A Baby....

Dreadful joke, I know, but I'm tired.

Originally Posted by Annie
Hmmm...cracking whips doesn't work on you...and you're immune to nagging...
...would starting a fire under you help you to continue with your list?
Nope, but a cup of tea might. In fact I'll make one myself and get right on to it, today was far too nice to spend in the house.

40. Broadway Danny Rose (1984, Woody Allen)

An utterly charming, beguiling film, and proof that Woody can act…

39. Heat (1995, Michael Mann)

One of the criticisms levelled at Heat is that it’s merely a vehicle for Little Shouty Al and Gurning Bob to share the screen. Not so.

I’d love it just the same if, say, Ed Harris and Jeff Bridges played the leads as Mann has crafted a superlative cop/heist movie. The glee in Pacino's eyes during his "great ass!" speech brings a grin to my face. Every. Single. Time.

38. Silent Running (1972, Douglas Trumbull)

For years Trumbull’s ecological Sci-Fi was in my top three. The visual effects still look great and Bruce Dern plays the oddball, Messianic lead like only he can.

Time has not been kind to the trilling, warbling Joan Baez songs though…

37. Wings Of Desire (1987, Wim Wenders)

Angels at our table.

A truly beautiful and moving picture.

36. Fitzcarraldo (1982, Werner Herzog)

Mad Werner and Bonkers Klaus together, again, as nature intended. Only this time, more so.

Herzog’s love for ‘mad prophets’ has never shone through quite like this tale of the Irishman (with suspiciously Teutonic accent) pulling a boat over a mountain.

Werner being Werner, of course, he actually decided to film a boat being pulled over a mountain. Now THAT’S realism…

35. hana-bi (1997, Takeshi Kitano)

Kitano ventures into my top 40 with this haunting, elegiac and existential tale of a former cop’s last road trip with his dying wife.

Memorable.

34. Short Cuts (1993, Robert Altman)

Old Bob’s interweaving of Carver stories leaves the other ensemble films to which it is often compared trailing in it’s wake. The reason for this is a wry humour, some great naturalistic performances and a killer script.

33. Paris, Texas (1984, Wim Wenders)

When we have nothing left in life apart from our regret, where do we turn? Ask ‘Arry…

32. Angel (1982, Neil Jordan)

The story of a saxophone player from South Armagh who blunders in on the Irish Troubles and embarks on a bleak, lyrical journey of revenge. There’s a parochial pathos at work here which might not travel more than 50 miles from the film’s setting. No matter, it’s on my doorstep.

31. Twenty Four Seven (1997, Shane Meadows)

There are characters like Bob Hoskins’ Alan in every working class town in Britain, still struggling to rise above eleven years of Thatcher’s neglect. Meadows depicts Alan as a fundamentally good man, shy and well-intentioned, striving to give hope to the young unemployed lads in his area.

MoFo - Finished yet?

Me - 'Fraid not.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Great thread

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I remember Silent Running and loved it. Kind of depressing though. You really need to be in the mood for it and when I am in the mood its great.

Originally Posted by Revenant
I remember Silent Running and loved it. Kind of depressing though. You really need to be in the mood for it and when I am in the mood its great.
I can remember reading about Silent Running in (and this dates me) the early 80s, long before I saw it. 2000AD did a feature on seminal Sci-Fi films around the time of Blade Runner. I can't remember the full list but Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still also featured.

The family's Ford Fiesta-sized VCR was certainly put to good use during the next few years.

Put me in your pocket...
Nice list again.

Wings Of Desire...thanks, that's one of those movies I've had in my hand a few times and put back because I hadn't heard anything about it. I'll have to check it out the next time I see it.

More tea?

Originally Posted by adidasss
a very intriguing list, too bad i live in the middle of nowhere and will probably never check most of these films out....they sound very interesting....
Well you obviously have the internet, can't you order DVDs online?

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Well you obviously have the internet, can't you order DVDs online?
well yeah, but i'd like subtitles if i'm gonna pay for it, my english is good, but i've noticed that i've grown too used to subtitles...and sometimes i don't hear something and have to read it...so....

30. Kind Hearts And Coronets (1949, Robert Hamer)

Sly and wry, Hamer’s superlatively dark comedy shows that even Peter Sellers can be topped for multi-tasking with Alec Guinness playing all eight members of the d’Ascoyne family.

29. The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957, David Lean)

My favourite actor’s only (non-honorary) Oscar came in this, Lean’s story of the stiffest of upper lipped English Colonel (Guinness) exhorting his PoW soldiers to build a bridge for their Japanese enemies. If a job’s worth doing…

28. Se7en (1995, David Fincher)

“Of Mans First Disobedience, and the Fruit
Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal taste
Brought Death into the World, and all our woe…”

Quite simply my favourite Hollywood thriller of the 90s, and beyond.

27. Hero (2002, Zhang Yimou)

Almost achingly beautiful in parts, Hero may be overtly melodramatic but with visuals like this, who needs subtlety?

26. Monty Python And The Holy Grail (1975, Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones)

A sublime collection of irreverent, surreal and slapstick gags, all hung on the hook marked ‘Middle Ages’. I haven’t seen a filmic comedy to touch …Holy Grail for 30 years.

25. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000, Ang Lee)

Whilst lacking the ultimate epic grandeur if Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon trumps it’s cousin in the characterisation stakes.

If it weren’t for a slightly soggy 3rd Act, I’d have placed Ang Lee’s masterpiece even higher.

24. Dead Man’s Shoes (2004, Shane Meadows)

Phenomenal. Meadows’ grim (but thankfully funny in parts) tale of a brother’s revenge sneaks up like a train on a dead man. Paddy Considine confirms my trumpeting as the best Brit actor of his time and Shane Meadows as their most promising director.

My favourite film of the past 10 years…

23. The French Connection (1971, William Friedkin)

The French Connection’s hard-arsed, wisecracking cousin, Dirty Harry, was also released in 1971 but, whereas Clint’s Harry Callaghan was what a Hollywood producer imagined in a tough, streetwise cop, Popeye Doyle claimed, with some justification, to be the real thing.

Add Friedkin’s confident, cinema verite style of direction into the mix and you get my favourite police movie.

22. Henry V (1989, Kenneth Branagh)

Ken’s debut feature is a rousing adaptation of The Bard’s most jingoistic play. As Shakespearian productions go, this one’s darned near perfect…

…and the ‘Crispin’s Day’ speech makes my chest swell with pride every time. Weird that, as I’m not even English…

Then again, neither is Ken.

21. Miller’s Crossing (1990, Joel Coen)

For a decade Joel and Ethan Coen had the offbeat thriller market well and truly cornered and Miller’s Crossing, I think, is their finest hour (and 50 minutes).

Scene to treasure: Albert Finney, a Tommy gun and Danny Boy playing in the background.

Onwards then, dear reader, to the 20 finest pieces of cinematic tat in history...

My dad had a few movies that he loved and this was one of them.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by Twain

My dad had a few movies that he loved and this was one of them.
My dad was, and still is, a Westerns man. It seems to have rubbed off, strangely.