Cooley High

→ in
Tools    

Who here has seen Cooley High? It's a great 1975 high school teen movie and considered a classic of black cinema. It's based in 1964 Chicago and compared by most critics to George Lucas' 1973 cinematic classic, American Graffiti. It also features an excellent motown soundtrack.

A little trivia on the movie. It was written by Eric Monte, who was the co-creator of the popular TV show 'Good Times'. He based the movie on his own friends and experiences growing up in high school.

After the movie's release, one of the television stations wanted to make an adaptation. However the pilot bombed. They decided to redo it as a sitcom and got new characters, writers and a new title. The show they made is what you now know as 'What's Happening'.

If you've never seen it I would recommend it. Definitely one of the best black cinematic movies.

Being a big fan of hip-hop I have heard this movie refrenced countless of times from Big Daddy Kane to Lauryn Hill. This made me have to do some digging before I found a copy and it was very good. Minus a goofy scene or two the film really captures the relationship between the friends and the problems of where they live.

Being a big fan of hip-hop I have heard this movie refrenced countless of times from Big Daddy Kane to Lauryn Hill. This made me have to do some digging before I found a copy and it was very good. Minus a goofy scene or two the film really captures the relationship between the friends and the problems of where they live.
Affirmative. It's a classic in black cinema. Very sad at the end.