Favorite Voice-Over Narrations

Tools    

What about the voice-over Narrations in Road to Perdition?
I think it was O.K. but could have been done better.

When people ask me if Michael Sullivan was a good man, or if there was just no good in him at all, I always give the same answer. I just tell them... he was my father.

That narration was okay.

See the trailer here:

Probably not my favorites or anything, but last year there were two voice-overs that I liked a lot.

I particularly enjoyed Judy Dench's caustic narration in "Notes on a Scandal." She not only told the story from her character's point of view, but so much of her character was in the way she spoke and her word-choice (instead of just being her voice). She was so angry....loved it!

Also, I loved the literary, sometimes sarcastic nameless narrator in "Little Children," probably one of the reasons I enjoyed the movie as much as I did...

Welcome to the human race...

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold...

Probably not my favorites or anything, but last year there were two voice-overs that I liked a lot.

I particularly enjoyed Judy Dench's caustic narration in "Notes on a Scandal." She not only told the story from her character's point of view, but so much of her character was in the way she spoke and her word-choice (instead of just being her voice). She was so angry....loved it!

Also, I loved the literary, sometimes sarcastic nameless narrator in "Little Children," probably one of the reasons I enjoyed the movie as much as I did...
Personally, I didn't like the narration in Little Children. I thought it was a bad directorial choice to include it, since the dialogue and characters were strongly written enough that it was downright unnecessary. If the voice-over hadn't been used, I probably would've enjoyed the film even more.

I couldn't agree with you more about the voice-over in Notes on a Scandal, though.

I couldn't agree with you more about the voice-over in Notes on a Scandal, though.
Me too

I agree with Morgan in The Shawshank Redemption and A Clockwork Orange, such a wonderful movie.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
morgan freeman - shawshank redemption
cate blanchett - lord of the rings (she gave me delicious shivers)
vin diesel - the iron giant

If we're including T.V. then David Boreanez in Buffy ep "Passion" and Angel Season 2 when he wasn't Angel or Angelus.
Grey's Anatomy ones are too vague, but scrubs nails it.

In the Beginning...

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

He was growing into middle age, and was living then in a bungalow on Woodland Avenue. He installed himself in a rocking chair and smoked a cigar down in the evenings as his wife wiped her pink hands on an apron and reported happily on their two children. His children knew his legs, the sting of his mustache against their cheeks. They didn't know how their father made his living, or why they so often moved. They didn't even know their father's name.

He was listed in the city directory as Thomas Howard. And he went everywhere unrecognized and lunched with Kansas City shopkeepers and merchants, calling himself a cattleman or a commodities investor... someone rich and leisured who had the common touch. He had two incompletely healed bullet holes in his chest and another in his thigh. He was missing the nub of his left middle finger, and was cautious, lest that mutilation be seen. He also had a condition that was referred to as 'granulated eyelids' and it caused him to blink more than usual, as if he found creation slightly more than he could accept. Rooms seemed hotter when he was in them. Rains fell straighter. Clocks slowed. Sounds were amplified.

He considered himself a Southern loyalist and guerrilla in a Civil War that never ended. He regretted neither his robberies, nor the seventeen murders that he laid claim to. He had seen another summer under in Kansas City, Missouri. And on September 5th in the year 1881, he was thirty-four years old.

"I still to this day don't know what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't wanna know. Some things are better left unsaid. I like to think that they were singing about something so beautiful it can't be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it."

In the Beginning...
"I still to this day don't know what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't wanna know. Some things are better left unsaid. I like to think that they were singing about something so beautiful it can't be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it."
Awesome film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's counterpoint narration to Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980).

If we're including TV, then:

Harold Perrineau's voiceover & narration in Oz.
Edward Norton in Fight Club.
Many of the actors in Sin City.
Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump.

Kevin Spacey in American Beauty
Edward Norton in Fight Club

Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption

You ready? You look ready.

"Somebody once wrote: 'Hell is the impossibility of reason.' That's what this place feels like. Hell."
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I have to agree with Iroquois Fear and loathing has awesome narration

i also think the narration in forrest, forrest gump was "top notch"

"What are you doing, we cant stop here, this is BAT country!" ... funniest line ever...

In the Beginning...
I have to agree with Iroquois Fear and loathing has awesome narration
San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. But no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories, can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right; that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle: that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense. We didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark... that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.