Pet Sematary remake

Tools    

The recent spate of Stephen King adaptations is set to continue next year with the release of It: Chapter Two, In the Tall Grass, and a remake of the author’s bestseller Pet Sematary.

King himself was initially concerned that the 1983 book was too dark and bleak for publication, and screenwriter Jeff Buhler (The Midnight Meat Train) has revealed to Dread Central that he and directors Dennis Widmyer and Kevin Kolsch (Starry Eyes) are looking to make “one of the scariest Stephen King adaptations ever” by capturing the tone of King’s novel.

“Dennis and Kevin and I really connected around the idea of bringing the story back to the source material, to find a modern telling of the book that really spoke to some of the big scenes and big moments that Stephen King had originally written,” said Buhler. “As much as all of us are huge fans of the original film, there are moments that are larger than life and feel borderline campy. Our desire was to tell a really grounded, character driven and psychologically horrific version of Pet Sematary, which in my belief, is the scariest book that King ever wrote… If you love the book, you’ll love this movie… I think we’re on track to it make one of the scariest Stephen King adaptations ever! That’s our goal anyway.”
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/...ptations-ever/

https://www.slashfilm.com/pet-semata...-screenwriter/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837563/

I'm in two minds about this. I loved the original, but I can understand them wanting to make it nastier. Just as long as they don't **** up Church. He's the best character in the whole thing!

I'm in two minds about this. I loved the original, but I can understand them wanting to make it nastier. Just as long as they don't **** up Church. He's the best character in the whole thing!
I think with modern technology and great writing teams and directors, this could be very good. The original "It" is good but I really like the remake.

What I want to see.. is a remake of "Salem's Lot" and make it as scary as f*ck!!!!

I think with modern technology and great writing teams and directors, this could be very good. The original "It" is good but I really like the remake.

What I want to see.. is a remake of "Salem's Lot" and make it as scary as f*ck!!!!
There's already 2 Salem's Lots, but I agree. We can get away with more gore.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
The original is classic, this is gonna be a piece of garbage

Really liked Starry Eyes. Hope the bring the guy from clipping. back to compose the score.

Sometimes I'm in favor of remakes, but this is not one of those times. I think the original is as great as it can be.
I actually think this might be one of those cases where remake can make sense. It's been ages since I saw the original but I have this vague memory it was far too comedic and missed the tone of the book completely (and it's even longer since I've read the book so I might be wrong).

The truth is in here
The original is classic, this is gonna be a piece of garbage
I'm already getting bad flashbacks to the It remake... Please leave a classic alone for once.

Finally! Someone who agrees about the new IT
I think I also agree about the new IT but I don't really like the old mini series either. Both of them take too many unnecessary liberties with the story and are both inferior to the book (which in my opinion is the best King I've read).

I think I also agree about the new IT but I don't really like the old mini series either. Both of them take too many unnecessary liberties with the story and are both inferior to the book (which in my opinion is the best King I've read).
pahaK, are you a Stephen King reader?

I have only read one of his books.. and it wasn't much of a horror story.. I don't ever see them making a film based off it..

If they aren't making movies exactly how the book is... then that's what I want.. make it just like the book.. don't leave anything important out or take the story out of its natural order.

pahaK, are you a Stephen King reader?
I've read some of his books but I wouldn't use the term "Stephen King Reader" to describe myself When I was kid there wasn't that much horror in local library so I read most of the Kings available and now during the last couple of years I've read few more.

IT is easily the best I've read but I'm starting to think that his writing is too similar from book to book so each new one I read seems weaker than the previous ones. Been trying to read Salem's Lot for the last couple of months now and it seems such a chore to finish.[/IMG]

If they aren't making movies exactly how the book is... then that's what I want.. make it just like the book.. don't leave anything important out or take the story out of its natural order.
I often notice myself feeling the same way but it's very unrealistic expectation. Movies need to drop lots of stuff and I'm OK with that. What I hate though is how majority of the book filmings these days have almost nothing in common with the book except some names, maybe few scenes and the very basic concept of the plot.

I often notice myself feeling the same way but it's very unrealistic expectation. Movies need to drop lots of stuff and I'm OK with that. What I hate though is how majority of the book filmings these days have almost nothing in common with the book except some names, maybe few scenes and the very basic concept of the plot.
Not to get off topic here so just one question

do you think if they made "The Snowman" in its natural language and native actors... it would have been far better than the American version?

I just feel Eurocrimes need to stay in their original languages ... translating to English does loose some of the grit.

Not to get off topic here so just one question

do you think if they made "The Snowman" in its natural language and native actors... it would have been far better than the American version?
Haven't seen The Snowman yet so pretty much can't comment.

I just feel Eurocrimes need to stay in their original languages ... translating to English does loose some of the grit.
But this is something I can comment because I've been giving this quite a bit of thought (not about English but Finnish, or as I've come to think of, one's native language). I think it's not about translation loosing something but we, as viewers, being so accustomed to our own language that it feels wrong in foreign setting. And in comparison a foreign language enhances our impression of things happening somewhere else and also it fools us to believe that the dialogue is more natural just because we don't understand it (or at least haven't grown as accustomed to it as native speakers).

So no, I don't think the problem is in English language specifically but in English being your native language. Obviously the above doesn't remove the annoyance but I think it at least partially explains it. I know for sure that I'd be extremely annoyed of a film where for example Brits would speak Finnish.

Haven't seen The Snowman yet so pretty much can't comment.

But this is something I can comment because I've been giving this quite a bit of thought (not about English but Finnish, or as I've come to think of, one's native language). I think it's not about translation loosing something but we, as viewers, being so accustomed to our own language that it feels wrong in foreign setting. And in comparison a foreign language enhances our impression of things happening somewhere else and also it fools us to believe that the dialogue is more natural just because we don't understand it (or at least haven't grown as accustomed to it as native speakers).

So no, I don't think the problem is in English language specifically but in English being your native language. Obviously the above doesn't remove the annoyance but I think it at least partially explains it. I know for sure that I'd be extremely annoyed of a film where for example Brits would speak Finnish.
Well, Harjunpää & pahan pappi is one of my favorite Foreign Language films. I dont loose anything with reading the subtitles... as are the Department Q films (Kvinden i buret, Fasandræberne and Flaskepost fra P) are very good Eurocrimes as well.

I just think that if Snømannen was released in the Norwegian language and acted by Norwegian actors (or even actors from surrounding countries).. it would have been far better than the English version. The book was written in the Norwegian language. Translating it to English perhaps lost some of the emotion/setting/mood of the film.

ok Im done.. back on topic.