The Greatest Director of All Time

Tools    

If someone wants to argue who the best director of all time is, then pick from these three - Kurosawa, Hitchcock, and Speilberg. All originators, all innovators of the movie industry entire, and their genius spanned their entire careers.

Maybe Martin Scorcese, but you know what? Any story Martin Scorcese made into a movie, I bet Hitchcock could have done it better. I sure know he would scare the hell out of me more, but both directors being equally ready, id bet on Alfred over Marty.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't like to criticize, but I think Spielberg is the mos overrated director ever. His movies made money, that's it. He used special effects instead of his brain. I've seen too many of his movies, and haven't been convinced.

I've watched a few Hitchock's.. I thought Psycho was horrible, Vertigo was a little interesting, and I'm going to give "Strangers on a Train" a chance in the next few days.

Maybe Martin Scorcese, but you know what? Any story Martin Scorcese made into a movie, I bet Hitchcock could have done it better.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, since Scorsese is way more versatile and diverse

Hitch is one of the great directors, but he relied too much on controlled studio lighting which forced him to shoot in the studio more often than on location. His lighting looks brightly lit and flat, which equals a poor unrealistic look. He also relied on too many gimmicks in his cinematography.

And let he's still one of the greatest directors, his strength is in telling the story and pulling the viewer in, making us feel what the character feels.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I love Wilder's dramas, but don't like his comedies... I think Scorsese started great, but after Raging Bull, he's only made 2 good movies since.

I loved Tarantino's Reservoir, Pulp, Jackie, and then went downhill for me... It's not a mystery, I can apply this to music as well. People run out of ideas, so they either re-do them, or try new ones that are just not good. Critics can't differentiate sometimes (or they can but want to be relevant) as commercial success doesn't mean much. When certain names are attached, they know about how much money they'll get, so it becomes a formula, and no risks are really taken.

And it's much easier to make a film now. I always think how many great films were made before I was born (1982) and how the technology wasn't great, and it was hard work to accomplish things they did, as opposed to having a guy click a button.

In my opinon, the greatest director of all time is... D.W. Griffith.

Some people may not like that answer, but honestly who else did more for film making than him?

Um, Georges Melies maybe?
He might've been an earlier innovator but Griffith practically made Hollywood.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Kubrick all the way!
I can't understand the claims of him being emotionally detached! I feel each one of his movies on deeper lever than anything else! I never stay the same after watching one of his movies! It affects me emotionally and physically... Also, he's one of the most perfectionist directors ever!

I still need to watch a lot more of Kurosawa, but I loved what I watched so far, Scorcese has some amazing movies but my second pick would be Tarantino, followed closely by Francis F. Copolla!

And I don't understand all the hype about Spielberg...The man is so commercial! I wouldn't rank it on my Top 10!

Kubrick all the way!
I can't understand the claims of him being emotionally detached!
If 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket or Paths of Glory are emotionally detached, then there is clearly something wrong with the people, not the director

The best director of all time in my opinion is Jean-Luc Godard.

Others that can be argued would be:

Akira Kurosawa
Alfred Hitchcock
Ingmar Bergman
Steven Spielberg
Werner Herzog
John Huston
Roberto Rossellini
Quentin Tarantino
Woody Allen
Stanley Kubrick
Robert Bresson
Margarethe von Trotta
David Lean
Martin Scorsese
Federico Fellini
Andrei Tarkovsky
Robert Altman
Roman Polanski
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Sidney Lumet
Clint Eastwood
Jean Renoir
David Lynch
Orson Welles
William Wyler
Billy Wilder
Francois Truffaut

My choice is Hitchcock, but it's a difference of less than an inch in a five mile race.

Kurosawa, Ford (so little love, how come?) and Kubrick are right there with him in my opinion.

I love these threads in how they make me think outside of my comfort zone. What about Charlie Chaplin? Modern Times and The Great Dictator are timeless masterpieces. Sergio Leone? Once Upon a Time in The West is my personal favorite film in the western genre, followed closely by Unforgiven.