I don't like this new era of streaming

Tools    

Every generation has to reinvent half the things the previous ones invented and relearn half the things the previous ones learned.

We have now more or less reinvented cable, albeit with a few modest convenience upgrades.

We sure got to burn through a lot of venture capital cash though for a few years watching all that stuff super cheap, though. Wheeee.
Your “congratulations you reinvented cable” quote from a few years back always pops in my head when these streaming conversations come up. Don’t know if you remember saying that before.

Streaming is far from perfect, but when I think about what’s available to me in the blink of an eye, compared to what was available to me when I was a kid. I mean, how in the world could I ever complain. I often talk about how I wish I had started digging into film at an earlier age because so many mofos are where I am now in their late teens early twenties. Realistically though, I didn’t have access to probably 2/3 of what I have watched in the last decade. Go back a generation to my parents and they had no home video.

There are always things to discuss about the state of media but to go backwards? I don’t see how anyone who loves movies could want that.

...There are always things to discuss about the state of media but to go backwards? I don’t see how anyone who loves movies could want that.
Did someone suggest going backwards in regards to movies? I didn't see that said.

Did someone suggest going backwards in regards to movies? I didn't see that said.
To be honest I didn’t read back through the thread very far but “I hate this new era of streaming” definitely implied some things to me.

Your “congratulations you reinvented cable” quote from a few years back always pops in my head when these streaming conversations come up. Don’t know if you remember saying that before.
I do, yeah, I actually went looking for that before I posted my reply but didn't find it quickly and gave up.

Streaming is far from perfect, but when I think about what’s available to me in the blink of an eye, compared to what was available to me when I was a kid. I mean, how in the world could I ever complain. I often talk about how I wish I had started digging into film at an earlier age because so many mofos are where I am now in their late teens early twenties. Realistically though, I didn’t have access to probably 2/3 of what I have watched in the last decade. Go back a generation to my parents and they had no home video.
Yeah, the wild west of streaming is still better, on net. And I'm confident it'll be better in the long run, for sure. It's just not the super cheap content utopia everyone weirdly thought it might be, which I think should've been pretty obvious even at the time. It's better in lots of ways, it's just gonna, ya' know, still cost plenty of money. And all the stuff people thought was so stupid or unreasonable (or, for the really intellectually lazy, just "greedy") about cable turns out to be a perfectly sensible and reasonable business model, which is a big part of the reason it came to be in the first place.

To be honest I didn’t read back through the thread very far but “I hate this new era of streaming” definitely implied some things to me.
Yeah, I can see the title as saying something like that.

I think most post are people just talking about their favorite methods of watching movies. Myself I could never go all DVD, my god that would cost a fortune, especially for this poor boy. I watch about 350 movies a year...the obscure war movie I watched last night, The Frogmen (1951) is $19.48 for the DVD at Amazon, times that by 350 and...ouch!

I do, yeah, I actually went looking for that before I posted my reply but didn't find it quickly and gave up.

Yeah, the wild west of streaming is still better, on net. And I'm confident it'll be better in the long run, for sure. It's just not the super cheap content utopia everyone weirdly thought it might be, which I think should've been pretty obvious even at the time. It's better in lots of ways, it's just gonna, ya' know, still cost plenty of money. And all the stuff people thought was so stupid or unreasonable (or, for the really intellectually lazy, just "greedy") about cable turns out to be a perfectly sensible and reasonable business model, which is a big part of the reason it came to be in the first place.

I do wonder how things are going to shake out over the next decade in terms of what survives, how much it costs, and their selection.

And what will be the state of ads on steaming in the future. Will they come to dominate Netflix?

I mostly care about this as spillover effects to the streaming services I do subscribe to and care about. (I suspect criterion would never go the ad route, but how much will the service cost in the future and will they still be overflowing with movies they've licensed from other distributers and such).

Ah, always back up, good advice! Back in the day I had a hard drive die that took a whole bunch of vacation photos with it

You could always look into setting up a RAID (or getting a dedicated multi-disk storage device that easily supports setting one up on installation).

You could always look into setting up a RAID (or getting a dedicated multi-disk storage device that easily supports setting one up on installation).
I sorta have that, though not RAID. I have a 4tb hd in my computer strictly for storage and another 4tb hd for backup of the first one and a 5tb ssd portable for double back ups. I use a utility called Grsync to do all the back ups, it's really neat and configurable. Just did that yesterday actually.

Update in the "we're just reinventing cable" saga:

Disney reportedly wants to bring always-on channels to Disney Plus

The revamped Disney Plus app could soon feature always-on channels dedicated to Star Wars and Marvel shows, according to a report from The Information. The channels, which are reportedly similar to those on free ad-supported streaming services like Pluto or Tubi, could take away the choice when it comes to picking out what to watch next.

In addition to Star Wars and Marvel series, Disney’s lineup of channels could feature stations that continuously stream Disney’s classic animated films or movies from Pixar, The Information reports. Even though viewers would need a Disney Plus subscription to tune in to the channels, they will likely still contain ads — just like traditional television.