So I was reading reactions from Dunkirk tonight. Such a massive fan of Nolan (who isnt?). He is one of the reasons I got so into movies. Anyways another talent I've become interested in is Ryan Coogler. Everyone has directors where if they have a movie coming out they are going go regardless. Coogler is starting to get to that point, especially if Black Panther is amazing, then my antennas will really be raised for future Coogler projects.

So Fruitvale Station reminded me of the potential that Nolan flashed in Memento and Insomina. You can feel their voices distinctly in those movies. Plus they pulled out amazing performances from their actors and great writing as well. (Not sure if Nolan wrote Insomina, sure he had input, but I know he has written everything else).

That brings me to Creed. I'm not a huge Rocky guy but I loved Creed. While it isn't a completely original idea (based on Rocky), it proved 1.) Coogler can write and inject his voice into a movie 2.) He knows how to execute and conjure original spectacle into a movie, he pushes the envelope like Nolan. The one take boxing match being a prime example. It had me in awe just like Nolan did when he flipped that semi in Dark Knight or the rotating fight scene in Inception with JGL among others. Even the final boxing match vs Tony Bellew had me in awe especially the entrance.

Im not saying Coogler will be the next Nolan. What I am saying is I see some parallels and the potential he could be if he decided to go down a similar path. A director who could be the next blockbuster mastermind. Black Panther will be extremely telling to me if my hunch is right. If he has a couple moments where I say to myself "I've never seen that before, I'll never forget that" I will feel even more strongly on this comparison. If he does that and I still feel HIS voice in a Marvel flick that would be so impressive to me. Hopefully if Marvel gives him the freedom, which who knows if they do.

My fear with Coogler is, I have to choose my words carefully here ha, that he gets boxed into just doing "black movies". Like bio pics, or historical events. Which is fine if thats what he wants to do, I'll watch whatever he does. I just think he has the potential for original blockbusters like Nolan. How amazing would it be if his movies became events like Nolan's have become. And his casts are predominately black and these big blockbusters with all black casts narrative isn't "how important is this for African Americans" but "How awesome is this movie". Whatever happens Coogler seems like a real genuine dude and I hope he takes over Hollywood like Nolan did. Anywho, probably ends up as a silly comparison down the road but I don't care if anyone reads this just had to get this off my chest.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)