Cole's Film Log

→ in
Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
Phoenix is out of this world in The Master. Hoffman is brilliant as always, but the role as a teacher and "higher power" suits him particularly well. The Master he was indeed.

Movie is exceptional. Like many of my favorite films, this is also a movie I needed time to absorb. Even my favorite, No Country for Old Men, was like that. Both started at a 6/10 or something - a well-made film that I couldn't truly grasp and I did know there was more to it than just that. And both got me thinking days after, they got me wondering and remembering various scenes, themes etc. I rewatched it and BAM there it was. But not all go directly to a 10/10. Some slowly climb, but evidently lands at a masterpiece or close to it.

I hate how misunderstood The Master seems to be. 7.1 at IMDb? Seriously? But as always, screw the ratings... The Master is masterful.
It has already gone up with me. Right when i finished i thought "3.5+" but thinking more and more about it i can see the greatness

#30 - Gangs of New York (2002)

What a mess. Easily the weakest Scorsese i've seen and it's embarrassing that this got nominated for best picture. The editing during the main fight scenes my god that was cringeworthy. Also, the historical inaccuracy is another thing that hurt and what made everything so much worse was the love story between Leo (and his awful accent) and Cameron Diaz who is just so miscast it hurts. The saving grace was Daniel-Day Lewis' performance as he somehow makes a movie out of this. I hope the ones I haven't seen from Marty are much better than this or else i'll be painstakingly disappointed.

I have to return some videotapes...

#30 - Gangs of New York (2002)

What a mess. Easily the weakest Scorsese i've seen and it's embarrassing that this got nominated for best picture. The editing during the main fight scenes my god that was cringeworthy. Also, the historical inaccuracy is another thing that hurt and what made everything so much worse was the love story between Leo (and his awful accent) and Cameron Diaz who is just so miscast it hurts. The saving grace was Daniel-Day Lewis' performance as he somehow makes a movie out of this. I hope the ones I haven't seen from Marty are much better than this or else i'll be painstakingly disappointed.

I actually love this film, and I think Leo is great in it. The only thing that bothered me was Diaz, not to the extent that others dislike her, but she is weak. I just think it's a great revenge film.

To this day I have yet to actually finish this movie.

It's a record type of movie for me, with 3 or was it 4 viewings going only as far as half way, which I think is the longest I could suffer.

Daniel Day-Lewis is always a pleasure, but most of everything else sucks and is so so boring and stilted and stiff and annoying. The opening fight and all is entertaining enough and I always find myself saying "maybe i'll make it through this time" but it's waaay downhill from there.

Your rating is almost generous. I admire how you managed to get through it all.

To this day I have yet to actually finish this movie.

It's a record type of movie for me, with 3 or was it 4 viewings going only as far as half way, which I think is the longest I could suffer.

Daniel Day-Lewis is always a pleasure, but most of everything else sucks and is so so boring and stilted and stiff and annoying. The opening fight and all is entertaining enough and I always find myself saying "maybe i'll make it through this time" but it's waaay downhill from there.

Your rating is almost generous. I admire how you managed to get through it all.
Only reason I was able to finish was because this is one of my gf's favorite movies somehow. DDL definitely carried this.

Originally Posted by colejwalker
I actually love this film, and I think Leo is great in it. The only thing that bothered me was Diaz, not to the extent that others dislike her, but she is weak. I just think it's a great revenge film.
Leo is good but his accent is all over the place. Diaz was just bad in it how did she get a gg nom?

Gone Girl (2014)*

+

Still amazing. David Fincher is at his peak right now. I can't wait for what's to come with him.

Gone Girl was alright, it wouldn't make my top five Fincher films though.
Gone Girl
+
Se7en
+

Those two can flip and flop on my top 10. Then I'd say the next level would be

The Social Network

Zodiac

Zodiac is extremely underrated. I'm sad that Button overshadows it since it came out a year later with all kinds of oscar noms. After those two i'd say

Fight Club
-
The Game
+

Then the rest....

Button

Panic Room

I think the screenplay and performances bring up my rating for Gone Girl so much. Along with that it was the first movie I saw and I thought "wow I really want to watch movies and discuss them more". So I can be biased with that. Either way I think it's great and Fincher is my favorite director.

It has a good screenplay and it is pretty exciting, i've never been crazy about Rosamund Pikes performance though, i know i'm in the minority there. It is a good film though and i understand why it would be someones favourite.

01.SE7EN
02.Zodiac
03.the social network (not really sure if i prefer this or Zodiac)
04.Fight Club
05.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
06.Gone Girl

The rest i don't like that much.

07.The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
08.The Game
09.Panic Room
10.Alien 3

I feel that way about Pike's performance as well Camo. Gone Girl is a 3.5 for me. Social Network and Zodiac are perfect and among my favorite movies. Fight Club and Seven are 4/5 for me, both need rewatches. The rest are okay and watchable for me. The outlier is Alien3, which I just saw and think is awful.

I don't think Zodiac is overshadowed by Benjamin Button, maybe it was, but not anymore. Movie people love Zodiac on the whole O think.

Good to see someone agrees on Pike. Seems it will be a while before Fincher makes any movies, he seems to be fully invested in TV. He is to direct the US version of Utopia as well as a FBI show and i haven't heard any news about planned films.

For me it's something like this...

1. Fight Club
2. The Social Network
3. Se7en
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (needs rewatch)
5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
6. The Game
7. Gone Girl
8. Zodiac
9. Panic Room
10. Alien 3

Button has a special place in my heart, but I haven't watched it in years... Fight Club is just one of those movies that keeps getting better and has thousands of details in it. A cult classic and therefore kind of unmatchable for the other movies. Social Network has one of the best screenplays I've ever pleased my ears with...

Zodiac is really well made and I understand the love, but for me it feels so hollow and empty and with a plot going in a straight line. I understand what he was trying to do, but even after two watches it's still the same for me.

1. Gone Girl
2. Panic Room
3. Fight Club
4. The Game
5. Seven
6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
7, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8. Zodiac

I haven't seen "The Social Network".