Cole's Film Log

→ in
Tools    

Hate to be a downer, but if you've seen Fargo, Lebowski, NCFOM, you've seen the best the Coens have to offer. Barton Fink is on that level, and I've heard good things about Llewyn Davis, but 99% of people will say that their favorite Coen movie is from that pool of 3. Especially not liking Caesar or Lebowski, you should probably stay away from their comedic works.

Master of My Domain
Hate to be a downer, but if you've seen Fargo, Lebowski, NCFOM, you've seen the best the Coens have to offer.
Not really. You're narrowing down the Coens' brilliance to just those three films, which is clearly wrong imo. The reason why I love the Coens so much is because they are trying out new ideas in their films, even if the end result isn't as satisfying as expected. Cole should definitely check out most of of their filmography at some point.

I have to return some videotapes.
I was going to see Blood Simple on my car ride today, but it's not rentable on iTunes.. I'll watch The Master then.

#14 - There Will Be Blood
#15 - Deadpool
#16 - The Silence of the Lambs
#17 - Road to Perdition

#18/19/20 - LOTR Trilogy (2001/02/03)

It's hard to rate them individually, but I can rank them. Return>Two Towers>Fellowship.

#21 - Alien (1979)

Swan you should be proud. I finished it. Finally. It got better by the end but I easily prefer the sequel.

-

#22 - Aliens (1986)

Much better than Alien. More quotable, funnier, better performances, and much better effects. Sgt. Apone is easily my favorite character in the Alien movies.

+

#23 - Over the Hedge (2006)

HEAR ME OUT! It was one of the first movies I saw when I was old enough to somewhat understand what was going on. It is amazingly quotable and my god Shatner and Carrell are gods at voice acting. A top 40 movie for me, and a childhood classic. I just want OTH2 to come out

#24 - Awakenings (1990)

Robert De Niro wow. I'd consider this a top 3 performance and it is right up there with Taxi Driver. Definitely deserved the oscar and this movie is sadly unnoticed by a lot of people. I recommend it if you want to see something that is true with a spectacular story.

-

#25 - As Good As It Gets (1997)

Honestly not that impressed with it. The script was good but Jack just plays himself and some of the decisions the characters make are cringeworthy. A good feel good story but nothing more than that.

-

I love As Good As It Gets, sad too see you not like it.

I could see you like Alien a lot in the future. It's a movie that probably needs some time. Trust me and give it a chance again in a few years.

I love As Good As It Gets, sad too see you not like it.

I could see you like Alien a lot in the future. It's a movie that probably needs some time. Trust me and give it a chance again in a few years.
I think I will too.

As Good As It Gets just made no sense to me. I think it's worse that I have to do a project on Jack's character and be his psychologist which sucks.

Yall are crazy. Aliens is much better.. it's not even a competition

#26 - Dead Poets Society (1989)

It has not aged perfectly and i'm sure I would like it more if I could really connect to it. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and that was the biggest issue. I can see why people would love it but I just cant.

-

Master of My Domain
I still like Dead Poet's Society. You might not be able to relate to the characters, but the youthful spirit and overall message is timeless in my opinion.

Doesn't Over the Hedge have a similar story to some other film which creates a Armageddon - Deep Impact relationship?

I used to prefer it until i rewatched both around Halloween last year.
Yep and that's why I think Cole will like it a lot later on.

I preferred Aliens a whole lot over Alien back in the day, but with my last few rewatches of them they became closer and closer until I was suddenly in doubt, which I had never been before. I think it's pretty clear now though that I prefer the original.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

#23 - Over the Hedge (2006)

HEAR ME OUT! It was one of the first movies I saw when I was old enough to somewhat understand what was going on. It is amazingly quotable and my god Shatner and Carrell are gods at voice acting. A top 40 movie for me, and a childhood classic. I just want OTH2 to come out

#24 - Awakenings (1990)

Robert De Niro wow. I'd consider this a top 3 performance and it is right up there with Taxi Driver. Definitely deserved the oscar and this movie is sadly unnoticed by a lot of people. I recommend it if you want to see something that is true with a spectacular story.

-

Over the Hedge is one of my favorite animated movies. It's nice to see someone else loves it too.

Awakenings is a great movie, but it's a tough watch. It's not the type of movie that I could watch again.