Cole's Film Log

→ in
Tools    

I'm glad you didn't flame me over me not completely falling in love with it Meds!

Thanks Swan, glad someone agrees.
No way. Funny thing is, it's one of my favorite movies of all time, but I can't give it a perfect rating. But sometimes the slightly flawed masterpieces are just the best.

It's okay, if you ever find three hours and eight minutes again in the future, you'll probably like it a little more each time. whatever the case might be, 3.5/5 is a solid rating still.

Master of My Domain
I haven't seen Magnolia yet, even thought it's been on my watchlist ever since I started my life as a cinema aficionado.

I have to return some videotapes.
Ordered Inherent Vice on blu ray and planning on watching it soon. Looks really good.

I'll have a review up for a different movie sometime today.

#12 - Following (1998)

This is a very impressive neo-noir low budget directorial debut for the really talented Christopher Nolan. He did the best with the extremely tight budget of $6,000 and got some great performances out of this complete no-name cast. There were a few plot holes like
WARNING: spoilers below
the young man not wearing gloves when breaking into the safe
but you can see the huge improvements he has made since 1998 with movies like The Dark Knight trilogy. I don't think I could call this movie great, but if you like noir films and only have time for a shorter movie I'd definitely recommend you check this out. I still need to see Insomnia and Interstellar so I can have full thoughts on Nolan as a filmmaker. After being really dissappointed with the first few movies I saw (Inception and The Prestige), my thoughts have changed and he is turning into one of my favorite modern directors.

+

You have seen Memento right Cole? I'm not really a Nolan fan but I'll admit that movie was amazing!

I was blown away with Memento. One of my all time favorites after seeing it.

I do agree with you somewhat neiba. I dont like The Prestige and I was hoping Inception was something more than it was. TDK trilogy is also amazing but mostly because I love Christian Bale and Batman in general.

Master of My Domain
I enjoyed the TDK trilogy, and The Prestige was decent enough, but they do lack creativity compared to his early works, which is a bit questionable, since Nolan is one of the few directors who have a lot of creative control over their movies.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Here's a funny story... I rented the VHS, and accidentally put in Tape 2, but didn't realize it until it ended of course.. Then a week later I started college, met a girl who not only loved Supertramp (2 songs in the movie), but our favorite director was Kubrick, and after telling her, she said "Come over and we'll watch it the right way"

I almost felt like the cop, like I didn't deserve to be hanging out with the most beautiful girl on earth. I think maybe most people don't like him because people think that a cop should be a superhero, and not ordinary. He was annoying at times being redundant, but a ton of people are annoying. I think it's a Top 3 movie of the 90s, and think PTA definitely drew inspiration from Nashville - even used Henry Gibson!

I like Magnolia, although I don't absolutely love it like some people do. I'd put most PT Anderson films ahead of it. Watch Boogie Nights if you haven't already.

I hope you like Inherent Vice too, that one seems to be divisive but I'm sure it'll be known as a cult classic in the future. I thought it was great, love the weird comedy style. Me and Swan were actually talking about it the other day, I'm really in the mood to rewatch it myself. I actually own the book too but haven't got round to reading much of it.

#13 - Inherent Vice (2014)

I truly think that after time, I will end up loving this movie and so will a lot of people; but as of right now, I cannot say I fully understand it. It needs another rewatch that will definitely come whenever I feel like coming back to it. My thoughts on this film are just so... ambivalent, for a lack of a better word. I see a lot of glimpses of a masterpiece but there were some parts I didn't really felt like fit with where the movie was in my eyes should have been going. As always with a PTA film, the direction was great, performances were some of the best of the leads' careers, the cinematography was top notch and there was an amazing tracking shot. Other than those general summarizations on the film, I don't have much else to say. I'll try to do an updated review whenever I end up watching it again, but I can't give it a higher rating than this until then no matter how much I think it'll go up in the future.

+

#14 - Hail Caesar (2016)

This movie isn't deserving of it's own post. One of the most disappointing movies of this year and last. This really changed my opinion on the Coens in a bad way.

I think I need to see Inherent Vice again; I didn't get much out of it the first time.

Coen movies are very up and down for me, and I don't have any interest in that one.

I think I need to see Inherent Vice again; I didn't get much out of it the first time.

Coen movies are very up and down for me, and I don't have any interest in that one.
When I first got into movies (like the first month-ish) they were some of my favorites! Given I had only saw Fargo and No Country I just thought they were awesome. After I've seen The Big Lebowski, True Grit, and Hail Caesar it's made me have less of a connection with them. I did give True Grit around a 4 when I first saw it, but honestly after I rewatched it, i could give it a 3 or 3.25. The good thing though is that I still have a LOT of their movies to watch. Even some of their best (critically) like A Serious Man, Barton Fink, Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, and O Brother.

Hope you like it, Cole. One of my top two fave PTA films.
How would you rank his filmography?

Here's a funny story... I rented the VHS, and accidentally put in Tape 2, but didn't realize it until it ended of course.. Then a week later I started college, met a girl who not only loved Supertramp (2 songs in the movie), but our favorite director was Kubrick, and after telling her, she said "Come over and we'll watch it the right way"

I almost felt like the cop, like I didn't deserve to be hanging out with the most beautiful girl on earth. I think maybe most people don't like him because people think that a cop should be a superhero, and not ordinary. He was annoying at times being redundant, but a ton of people are annoying. I think it's a Top 3 movie of the 90s, and think PTA definitely drew inspiration from Nashville - even used Henry Gibson!
If only I could find someone like that . I did read about him taking a lot from Altman (who I believe was the director of Nashville, sorry if I'm wrong). I can definitely see why it's loved.

I like Magnolia, although I don't absolutely love it like some people do. I'd put most PT Anderson films ahead of it. Watch Boogie Nights if you haven't already.

I hope you like Inherent Vice too, that one seems to be divisive but I'm sure it'll be known as a cult classic in the future. I thought it was great, love the weird comedy style. Me and Swan were actually talking about it the other day, I'm really in the mood to rewatch it myself. I actually own the book too but haven't got round to reading much of it.
Boogie Nights is my favorite so far! I'm glad you agree.

After I saw Inherent Vice I thought the same thing (from my review). I own the book as well but I never read it and ended up giving it to one of my friends for a project of his.

Probably like this. I mean, I should rank There Will Be Blood #1 considering I used to be OBSESSED with it, but The Master and Inherent Vice feel fresher now, and I'd prefer to watch them, thus they get a better ranking.

1. The Master
2. Inherent Vice
3. There Will be Blood
4. Boogie Nights
5. Punch-Drunk Love
6. Magnolia (need to rewatch)
7. Sydney

To be sure, though. I almost prefer Sydney to Magnolia, just because Magnolia is overrated and Sydney is underrated.