Cole's Film Log

→ in
Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
I just want to keep track of the movies I see this year and look back on it. There probably wont be many full reviews, but I'll give some insight on each.

* indicates rewatch

Films seen in 2016:
Gone Girl* (2014)
+
Over the Hedge* (2006)

The Revenant (2015)
-
The Master (2012)
+
The Nice Guys (2016)
+
Children of Men (2006)

LOTR Trilogy (2001/02/03)

Awakenings (1990)
-
Jarhead (2005)
-
Aliens (1982)
+
Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
+
Magnolia (1999)

Brothers (2009)
-
Following (1998)
+
Inherent Vice (2014)
+
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2006)

Spectre (2015)

Alien (1979)
-
Dead Poets Society (1989)
-
Hard Eight (1996)

Basic Instinct (1992)

As Good As It Gets (1997)
-
Daddy's Home (2015)

Gangs of New York (2002)

Newsies (1992)

Hail Caesar (2016)

Where is the insight for those three movies then!?!?^^

C'mon, Cole, get it together!
I already did before! Ugh, whatever Meds.

I cannot pick out many flaws about this movie. This easily is my favorite of the year (barring Hateful 8 topping it). Leo has an amazing performance and my god the cinematography is breathtaking. Maybe they could have cut a bit out, but other than that it was just great. Watch it in theaters! It is worth it for the bear scene.

-

Right when I get to the theater I find out Hateful Eight is sold out and there is only like 5 seats available for this. Probably not worth the 12 bucks it takes to get in, but it was still kind of funny. The plot just isn't there and the characters make no sense, but there were some memorable lines.

My least favorite so far of the Craig Bonds. I haven't seen QOS yet though.

Master of My Domain

Don't be like this woman Cole. Looking forward to your log bro.

#4 - Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

The first thing I thought right after the credits rolled was the great use of visual symbolism. It's not quite as good as Boogie Nights, but either way it's a really good film and I recommend it. Adam Sandler has the best performance of his career and Phillip Seymour Hoffman is amazing as always. Definitely watch it if you are interested in Paul Thomas Anderson. I have a feeling i'll like it even more with rewatches as well.

+

Adam Sandler has the best performance of his career.
have you seen Reign Over Me? His performance in this flick is way better than in Punch Drunk-Love in my opinion.

It does get even better with rewatches. It did for me anyways.

You noticed the superman symbolism? I love that!
Honestly I didn't even think about that.

Mostly it was about the harmonium and phone.

What I got out of it was that the harmonium was outside and didn't work when he was completely isolated, he connected with Lena (and tried fixing the instrument), then in the end learned how to play.

Aside from symbolism, another thing I really loved was when Sandler said "I have a love in my life that makes me stronger than anything you can imagine." It just felt so.... amazing. I don't know, i'm just rambling lol.

have you seen Reign Over Me? His performance in this flick is way better than in Punch Drunk-Love in my opinion.
I haven't even heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

#5 - Brothers (2009)

Tobey Maguire. Wow. My favorite performance of his... ever. He was great, and Jake was amazing as well. This isn't a movie I will want to rewatch often, but I was impressed. Other than the ending, everything exceeded expectations and that's really all I looked for in this movie.

-

#6 - Newsies (1992)

Christian please don't do another musical. I get you were young and all, but ugh. This was very tough to get through.

#7 - Children of Men (2006)

After being really disappointed with Gravity, I thought I was going to hate this... I was completely wrong. Amazing cinematography, amazing performances, and great direction from Alfonso Cuaron. They did a great job capturing the bleak and depressing atmosphere that the book describes. As for the acting, Julianne Moore steals every scene she's in like always and I was pleasantly surprised with Clive Owen. I don't think i've seen anything else of his, so I'll have to check out more of his movies. Thanks MM for telling me to watch this!

You're welcome, Cole!

And here was the Punch-Drunk Love analysis I was referring to a few days ago:
interesting stuff!

Also, which Paul Thomas Anderson movies have you seen so far?

You're welcome, Cole!

And here was the Punch-Drunk Love analysis I was referring to a few days ago:
interesting stuff!

Also, which Paul Thomas Anderson movies have you seen so far?
I actually watched that right after you brought up Superman. That's pretty cool if that's what PTA was going for.

As of right now I have only seen Boogie and Punch-Drunk Love. I was planning on watching Inherent Vice, but I think it'd be better if I watched Hard Eight or Magnolia first.

Watch Magnolia. It's also one of those movies that looks and feels like nothing else. A long drama that feels like a tense action movie - the tempo of the editing and the dialogue and character arcs are what drives the film. Possibly Cruise's best performance too.

Make time for it, it's a great experience.

Watch Magnolia. It's also one of those movies that looks and feels like nothing else. A long drama that feels like a tense action movie - the tempo of the editing and the dialogue and character arcs are what drives the film. Possibly Cruise's best performance too.

Make time for it, it's a great experience.
You've said that before I just keep putting it off ugh. I need to watch it soon and I will... I promise.