'One Hit Wonder' directors?

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
What are the biggest one hit wonder directors out there?

Please post their "one hit" film with the name, it'll help me with this Thank you!

First one that comes to mind is Richard Kelly, who directed Donnie Darko.

Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, directed The Lives of Others then made The Tourist.

Charles Laughton only directed Night of the Hunter so I'm not sure if he counts.

I think there's a thread on this around here somewhere, at least similar.

Richard Kelly for Donnie Darko
James McTeigue for V For Vendetta
Sam Mendes for American Beauty

Richard Kelly for Donnie Darko
James McTeigue for V For Vendetta
Sam Mendes for American Beauty
Up to you posting that I thought the Wachowski's directed V. Mendes has some good flicks. I don't even think American Beauty is his best.

Welcome to the human race...
It depends what "one hit" means.
From the looks of it, it appears to be about filmmakers who have only made one good film while the rest have all been...not good. At least, that is my understanding and Cole can clarify if it he wants to.

That being said, I had that exact idea for a thread ages ago but obviously never got around to posting a thread (oh, well). My two main candidates for the "one good film" stipulation are Bruce Robinson and Alex Cox on the basis of Withnail & I and Repo Man respectively.

Judy Berlin (1999) by Eric Mendelsohn.
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

A few of these really don't count.

Even if you don't like any of Guy Ritchie's movies other than Snatch, he made truckloads of money with the Sherlock Holmes films. Even if American Beauty is the only Mendes film you enjoy, he made the 11th highest grossing film of all time...

Welcome to the human race...
If a director's only known success is one movie and one movie only.
That does narrow it down an awful lot. I think Bruce Robinson would still count because Withnail & I is a cult success, while everything else he's directed hasn't matched up (not even The Rum Diary). Alex Cox might be different because I'm sure plenty of people will care more about Sid and Nancy than about Repo Man.

Peter Jackson with LOTR Trilogy.

The Hobbit trilogy isn't a patch on LOTR, King Kong is overblown and has little rewatch value. The rest of his stuff before LOTR is highly amateur and the stuff since LOTR has been bloated and full of hot air with little payoff.

Be interesting to see which directors are the opposite of a One Hit Wonder.

As in, every movie they've made has been gold, except for just one.

I have to return some videotapes.
Be interesting to see which directors are the opposite of a One Hit Wonder.

As in, every movie they've made has been gold, except for just one.
I wouldnt say gold, but Fincher's movies minus Alien3 are all good.

Master of My Domain
Tony Kaye - American History X
Daniel Myrick & Eduardo Sanchez - Blair Witch Project