Actor/Director combinations you'd like to see.

Tools    

Going revive this. Fun thinking about this stuff to me.

Nolan + Cranston = Nolan wrote a movie about Howard Hughes later stages in life when he was supposedly going insane. Dropped it because Scorsese beat him to the punch with Aviator. But Cranston fits the bill for age and could balance the charm and insanity of Hughes, hell he even looks like Hughes. Nolan said it was the best thing he ever wrote and that is saying a lot. Be a shame if he never did it. I'd smell Oscar for both, the academy loves Biopics.

Coens + Samuel L Jackson = feel like they could write a perfect character for him.

Todd Phillips + Jason Schwartzman = I'm dying for Schwartzman to get a lead role in anything. The man oozes of charm every time he is in a scene. I need star vehicle for him and I think Todd Phillips could get it out of him. When Phillips is on he hits home runs with his comedies and he sling shots actors/comedians into super stardom. Old School shot Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and Luke Wilson into another level. Did the same with Bradley Cooper, Zach G and Ed Helms in the Hangover. 2 of my favorite comedies. I'm ready for a Schwartzman party.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Quentin Tarantino/George Clooney

Clooney is able to play quirky characters. He proved it in his collaborations with the Coen brothers. I think he would be great as some kind of gangster boss in a '30s Tarantino gangster epic.

Tarantino with pretty much any good actor he hasn't work with sounds awesome. He just writes such memorable character's he seems to get the best out of actors because they like the challenge and seem to have fun with it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Clearly won't happen due to Eastwoods age, but I'd love to see him direct Denzel Washington or Naomi Watts.

Tarantino and Will Smith. Smith puts so much character and bravado into his roles. Under the direction and genius of Tarantino, I think they could make something really awesome.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.
David Lynch/Michael Fassbender

Very random but crazy combination.

This might just do nobody any good.
Yeah, I know, thread necromancy. The subject came up IRL and I felt like posting some ideas in hopes of validation.

Christopher Nolan (cause they just announced his next movie for 2020): Jake Gyllenhaal. Perfect for Chris’ beloved “laconic white intelectual with a troubled past involving a pale brunette” type.

Also: Ethan Hawke, Rami Malek, Claire Foy, Daniel Kaluuya, Hugh Laurie, serious actor Steve Carrell, Ben Whishaw.

Tarantino (he’s supposedly got one more movie left before retiring (not that I totally buy it.)): Eva Green, Helen Mirren, Pedro Pascal, Ben Mendelsohn, Danny McBride, Winston Duke.

Coens: Robert Downey Jr.

Welcome to the human race...
Coens + Samuel L Jackson = feel like they could write a perfect character for him.
Eh, as much as I like the Coens they don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to writing black characters. There's a reason the Ladykillers remake is generally considered their worst.

As for how I'd answer this, Ryan Gosling and Jim Jarmusch.

Joaquin Phoenix + Coens/Tarantino/Fincher/Wes Anderson

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I want Joaquin in Step Brothers 2, so I guess Joaquin/Adam McKay.

David Lynch/Michael Fassbender

Very random but crazy combination.
That does sound good.

David Lynch + Denis Lavant