The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Miss Vicky watches-

An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Miller’s Crossing (1990)
Ordinary People (1980)
The Player (1992)
Secrets & Lies (1996)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
The Untouchables (1987)
David Lynch is a director I forgot to put on my list of dislikes, but I've only seen a few of his so maybe I'll like Blue Velvet. I've been meaning to watch The Untouchables for ages now because I love Costner. No idea what I'll think of the rest.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Some great lists coming out for folks and looks like both me and Fredrick will be checking out Ace in the Hole

hey, @Miss Vicky, how ya feelin with the ones picked out for ya?

Well, looks like an interesting selection this time:

Blood Simple (1984): Actually really excited to see this one, I heard of the plot awhile back and it sounds very intriguing.
Fright Night (1985): Who can go wrong with 80's horror?
The Great Silence (1968): Just the type of western I like!
Ikiru (1952): I've enjoyed what I've seen so far from Kurosawa, some more than others, so I say this will be good too.
Interview with the Vampire (1994): I've heard good things about this one.
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979): I've loved everything I've seen so far from Herzog, so big hopes for this one.
Platoon (1986): I can't believe I haven't seen this one either haha, time to check it out now.
Quills (2000): Yeah I definitely know who nominated this one. Looks really good.
Sonatine (1993): I've been meaning to watch a Kitano film for awhile now, no better place to start I guess.
Sweet Smell of Success (1957): Looks stylish and the plot sounds interesting.
Jackie Brown (1997): Funnily enough I literally just watched this one last night without any knowledge that it was going to be picked! I can post a write up of it tonight.

HashtagBrownies has a lot of vampire movies to watch
I noticed lol, I mean i have been kinda slacking on horror, especially considering the Halloween season is nearly over, so it's no bother for me.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I suspected I would get Contact, Parasite and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - the first two because they are obvious omissions I haven't got round to yet, the latter because I think it's pretty much the only thing left on the Millennium list I haven't seen.

(Actually I predicted I would get Blue Velvet too, but will have to see what Miss Vicky makes of it instead!)

I'm looking forward to Arsenic and Old Lace. I meant to watch 3.10 to Yuma for the Westerns list but didn't get to it in time (and I think I could take a good guess at who nominated it...). The Fugitive I probably should have watched by now. I don't know much about Paper Moon, Random Harvest or Working Girl and I've genuinely never heard of Night Moves or Going My Way so they will be a complete surprise.

Looking forward to it!

David Lynch is a director I forgot to put on my list of dislikes, but I've only seen a few of his so maybe I'll like Blue Velvet. I've been meaning to watch The Untouchables for ages now because I love Costner. No idea what I'll think of the rest.
I'm pretty sure you had Lynch on your list of dislikes.

Well, looks like an interesting selection this time:

Sonatine (1993): I've been meaning to watch a Kitano film for awhile now, no better place to start I guess.
This is one of the very few I haven't seen and dying to. Looking forward to your review when it comes across the board

I'm pretty sure you had Lynch on your list of dislikes.
So I did.

-As many of you already know, there are a number of directors that I generally dislike. While choosing a film from one of them isn't an automatic dealbreaker, please be aware that the chances of your nomination ranking highly on my ballot will be pretty damn low if you disregard this bit of advice. Such directors include Stanley Kubrick, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, David Lynch, and Darren Arronofsky. There may be more that I'm not thinking of as well.

Downfall, Philadelphia, and Secrets & Lies were all high up on my hoped for list. A 2nd member attempted to choose Downfall for me. These are very smart people.

I didn't realize A Man and a Woman was on any of the lists. I just put this on my watchlist about 3 days ago after noticing someone's post about it in the rate the last movie thread.

The Right Stuff and Good Night and Good Luck are both movies that I've always had interest in but never took the plunge.

The Help, appearing to be a woman's movie, is probably one of the last movies on our lists I would have gotten to......except, it's already on my Netflix DVD queue because my wife wants to see it. Is somebody spying on me!?

Underground is a movie I must have heard of because I contributed to it's list, but it wasn't on my radar. A quick look on it's IMDb page, and I have a feeling it might be a sleeper.

Across the Universe is something I definitely wasn't familiar with. A quick peek tells me well this is different!

Somebody picks All About My Mother and I'm thinking what is this geriatric BS. Wait, it's Almodovar? Sold!

Underworld, the vampire movie? I seen that shlt already. Oh no it's a crime film from the great Josef Von Sternberg. How the hell did I miss this when I was prepping for the pre-30's countdown?

Good job peeps!

I wonder if any of these make someone's ballot for the upcoming all time countdown? And I mean folks watching for the first time.
I'm only including things I've seen more than once, so it would have to be something I really loved enough to watch again in the next couple of weeks to crack my 25.

Also, I haven't the slightest idea who picked what on my list.
I'm not even ATTEMPTING to guess which film from who. It was a surprise every time I found out.
I wonder if any of these make someone's ballot for the upcoming all time countdown? And I mean folks watching for the first time.
Quite a few most likely

The trick is not minding
I’m assuming the recommendation for me is Blade Runner: Final cut?
I have seen Blade Runner, which is marked off, but did not mark off Final Cut version since I read it adds a lot more.
Just making sure.

Looks like you got a nice mix, @ThursdayNext.

Have not seen The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover but I've been forever curious about it.
This is one of the very few I haven't seen and dying to. Looking forward to your review when it comes across the board
Starting to think Ed feels he got the wrong list of movies

Hope you like some of your own films (and we'll keep these in mind for next time...)

I’m assuming the recommendation for me is Blade Runner: Final cut?
I have seen Blade Runner, which is marked off, but did not mark off Final Cut version since I read it adds a lot more.
Just making sure.
I was only given Blade Runner so it must be. Is final cut on one of the lists?

I can say, with a fair degree of certainty, that none of these will make my ballot.
Yeah, one of these movies would have to completely blow me away for it to stand any chance of making my ballot. There are a number of them on other people's lists that might though.