Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Go, Go, Second Time Virgin (1969)

Wakamatsu is a proof you don't need film studies to make great films!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Care for some gopher?
Over the last few weeks:

Final Destination 1 -
+
Final Destination 2 -

Final Destination 3 -

Final Destination 4 -

Final Destination 5 -

Not exactely great movies, of course. But they're kind of a guilty pleasure (except the 4th one).

Inside Out

The smartest, most enjoyable movie of the year so far. Up there with Pixar's best work.

....go on.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)

Who would have guessed that Stanley Kramer had such an incredible sense of humour? I don't usually like comedies but this one is definitely one of the best I've ever seen, definitely better than those made nowadays. All the cast is great but this is about genious writing and cinematography! The soundtrack is also really funny, in a cartoonish kind of way! A honourable entry to my 60's list!

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Very glad to hear you enjoyed it, neiba, Mad, mad, etc, etc is a fav of mine from childhood.

Rembrandt 1936
I've always love Charles Laughton. Mutiny on the Bounty, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Captain Kidd, and so many others, I now add this movie to that special list of his movies.

A Royal Scandal 1945
It was the little quips that danced about through this that really made the movie for me.

Get on Up (2014)

This autobiography of James Brown, starring a fantastic Chadwick Boseman in the lead, goes back and forth in time, but is never tedious for doing so, and in fact requires your rapt attention for doing so. The supporting cast was excellent, with Nelsan Ellis excellent as James' best friend and band member, Bobby Byrd; Octavia Spencer as his aunt; Viola Davis as his mother; and Dan Aykroyd excelling as his long-time manager Ben Bart. Usually, it's hard for me to see Aykroyd in a movie and not think of him as reprising a SNL character but he was far from that in this one. But this is about James and his music and Boseman and the director cover that well. Recommended.

Furious 7, 3.8/5. Not the best in the series, but still great nonetheless. The tribute to Paul Walker at the end was also a nice touch. I have to say some of the lines and actions were a bit cheesy, like Dom's line about the street winning, and The Rock's character ripping off his cast and then handling a mini-gun was also pretty stupid, but all in all, I liked it enough. I'd say 5 and 6 were both better, but this wasn't the worst action movie I've seen even this year, so it gets a pass. It should have been better than it was though.

Care for some gopher?
Monkey Business (USA, 1952, Howard Hawks) -

A light comedy which has its moments but is pretty silly most of the time.

Care for some gopher?
Creature from the Black Lagoon (USA, 1954, Jack Arnold) -

A nice and charming creature feature.

Master of My Domain
Jurassic World (2015)

You know there's a problem when 4 CGI raptors are more interesting than the human characters. Despite that, pretty fun and slightly better than expected.

it was a good laugh but, I won't watch it again.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Seconds - 6/10 (could have been a 10 though)

I just finished "Seconds". I think the theme was great, but I felt the film was flawed in that it had a lot of holes. It was only 90 minutes long, and I felt the script and the scenes concentrated on things outside of the theme. For instance, the Hollywood Production Code was coming to an end. The film used way too much time on the first part. 1966 was probably the first I saw a woman entirely nude on film, and people like seeing it, but it shouldn't be a substitute for quality. That scene could have been 10 seconds, not 10 minutes. It finally did pick up when Hudson goes to see his "wife" - we learn more about him, yet, we learn that she knew hardly anything about him. I think it would have been better to maybe go back and add ten minutes to the beginning... Concentrating on the philosophical aspects of the theme, instead of the terror, questions unanswered, focusing on what's important in life, how a new life and success doesn't necessarily mean a better life. How we might appreciate things, especially our life until we don't have it. Maybe dreaming is the best part of life? Maybe once you have everything you thought you want you were either wrong, or you have an empty feeling as there is nowhere to go from there, like "What now?"

While We're Young 2015

Adam Driver is hot right now and he's fairly entertaining. But nothing else about this little mid-life crisis film left an impression on me.