Most Overrated and underrated Directors

Tools    

Tarantino is very different from Nolan,
Quite. Tarantino should be considered overrated because his films get worse and worse and yet are praised more and more.

I know I shouldn't but... what does it even mean for a film to be a "flawless example of itself"? Isn't that like, every film ever made?

That may be true - I don't know - but it seems weird that someone as meticulous as Kubrick would choose to have some of his images enlarged, and thus become less distinct, in the final release print of his baby. As you know, most screens pre-Kubrick were about 1.33:1, but with the advent of widescreen photography, the new theatres built wider screens. A by-product of this is that if Dr. Strangelove was shown on a wider screen (or most screens for that matter), you'd never see the difference in the aspect ratio while watching the movie. It would show up above and below the screen. But the blown-up image would look less-clear. On a DVD, you're stuck with how they center the image, but at least it's always as sharp as intended. Another thing about different screen sizes, which may or may not be a result of different aspect ratios, is that at a theatre in the '70s, you could often see the boom mic at the top of the screen in a movie. For whatever reason, the filmmakers thought it was OK as filmed - they probably thought the film would be centered in projector so that part would actually be shown above the screen (and therefore unseen). Now, some DVDs, streams and cable movies show these films, and lo and behold, there's the boom mic. Sorry for the segue. "We now return control of your television to you."
This is what I read:

"Three different screen aspect ratios have been used for video releases. The initial video releases up until the last VHS used a pan & scan transfer. Starting with the Criterion Collection laserdisc, as well as the later Columbia laserdisc, the film was presented "open matte" which meant that as much of the frame was captured as possible. Since many scenes were shot with mattes in-camera, the aspect ratio varied between 1.33:1 to roughly 1.66:1. This same version was used for the original and later Special Edition. In 2004, Columbia completed a new restoration of the film using an original fine-grain positive. This was utilized for a high definition transfer used for the 2-disc 40th Anniversary Edition DVD set. For the first time, this edition used 16x9 enhancement and presented the entire film at its theatrical exhibition aspect ratio of 1.66:1. While this obscures image previously seen on the variable ratio transfers, this preserves the intended "matted" wide-screen composition - very important for shots like Major Kong riding the bomb to the ground. In the variable ratio transfers, the rigging and projection screen edges are visible."

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/alternateversions (last paragraph)

Here to learn. And judge silently.
Tarantino should be considered overrated because his films get worse and worse and yet are praised more and more.
^^^ This. Everyone collectively tinkled themselves over Inglourious Basterds and I just didn't get it. It was good: I did like it (partially because of my obsession with Brad Pitt), but it wasn't the masterpiece everyone kept saying it was.

Quite. Tarantino should be considered overrated because his films get worse and worse and yet are praised more and more.
How? Even today his 90s output is more praised than his recent work, which is seen as his most divisive. A lot of people can't stand Inglourious Basterds, a lot of people thought Django was seriously flawed, a lot of people saw no point in Death Proof, and I'm sure a lot of people don't love Kill Bill either.

i don't think you really understand logic in general.
At least I understand that Spring Breakers is a piece of tr*sh ...

I'm pleased to hear it, BL and I'm happy to take your word for it. But I never see/hear it. With the exception of Pulp Fiction, which is usually first or second, all I hear is Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. And it's usually the crappier vol 1 that they really like with KB. Django to a lesser extent, it's true, but even that had Oscar noms. Not that I'm saying those are a standard for quality, but if we're talking overrated that's usually a criteria.

I actually liked Death Proof more than KB and a lot more than IB. It was true to its and his roots in exploitation moviemaking, while Planet Terror was much more like a compilation "best of" attempt. Fun, sure, but not even close to a replica of the real thing.

I loved Inglorious Basterds! For some reason, it's my favorite Tarantino film and the one I think I've watched the most. It was also basically my first Tarantino movie, and I really enjoyed it and saw how different he was. Everytime I look at my shelf of movies and see Inglorious Basterds sitting over there, I always have that brief thought of "Hmmm I kind of want to watch this again." And then I realize that I need to be watching other movies that I haven't seen yet, even though I really want to watch Inglorious Basterds again.
Fire walk with me.

Mrtylerdurden, you want a good script, go read the Inglorious Basterds script. It's better than the movie in my opinion (which I like but am not absolutely crazy about). Tarantino should have gotten the Oscar for that script.

Mrtylerdurden, you want a good script, go read the Inglorious Basterds script. It's better than the movie in my opinion (which I like but am not absolutely crazy about). Tarantino should have gotten the Oscar for that script.
Of course I want to, I'm just not able to get my hands on it without probably buying it on Amazon.

Overrated:
That director who directed that film I don't like that everyone else likes

Underrated:
That director who directed that film I like that nobody else likes

Make a better place
Overrated

Christopher Nolan

Underrated

Richard Linklater

another Overrated director : Sidney Lumet ..

I've seen 12 Angry Men , Network , Dog Day Afternoon , Serpico and Murder on the Orient Express of him and all good flicks but don't deserved the rating of IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes imo...

Another one Underrated : Michael Mann

Public Ennemies , Heat , Manhunter and The Last of the mohicans are awesome movies