MoviePass

Tools    

I've had MoviePass for a few months now and it's wonderful. I get that it seems too good to be true and a lot of people think it's unsustainable but they are clearly finding ways to make money. I have a feeling they're in for the long run.

Aside from the perceived unsustainability, it seems a lot of people, a lot of cinephiles included, just don't like it for some reason. I want to open the floor to discussion, though I myself will try to remain on the sidelines as best as I can. My main question is - why are some people so quick to dismiss MoviePass? Is it because it's gaining traction? Why wouldn't a hardcore film buff want to be able to see a ton of movies in a month for only ten dollars?

General thoughts on the two major issues at play:

The Value of MoviePass
I don't have this, but it has nothing to do with the value (which seems great, particularly for someone like me who would refrain from partaking in the concessions most of the time anyway), but simply with how unpleasant the movie going experience has become. Cost is barely a factor, given my general frugality and budget; if the tickets were free I would still only go now and then. I'd probably go to the movies every week if, say, we had our own Alamo Drafthouse or something else where behavioral norms are consistently enforced, and I'd definitely purchase something like this, probably at 2-3 times the price, if that were the case.

Economics
I, too, wonder if this is economically sustainable. And it's possible they're not actually making money. The program's existence only shows us that they think they will (or could), but only its continued existence will tell us that they are.

I certainly don't have any trouble believing that they can profit based primarily on things like concessions. That's an old business model that goes back to the days of Cornelius Vanderbilt, who totally undercut his competitors in the cost of ferry rides by eventually offering them for free and simply selling food and drink to the passengers during the ride.

Oh, also, my sister has this, and really likes it. I think she's maybe a bit less sensitive to the audience stuff than I am. If that's the case for someone, and they like seeing movies with any regularity, then yeah, sounds like a no-brainer.

Yeah like I said it seems to good to be true, so I understand the skepticism about the sustainability. The thing is MoviePass is doing things outside of it's basic model to earn money. Advertising, for example. I think MoviePass made up 3% of sales for I, Tonya, which they advertised. I'm not an economics guy though.

I guess all I'm saying is, it's good to be skeptical but I don't think MoviePass is something to outright dismiss, especially because it's a stellar idea and if it survives, that's a good thing. For little old me it's been great, I love seeing movies at the theater and I get to do that much more often now. So I hope they last.

Movie Pass And AMC

I have it and couldn't love it more. Swan has said a couple times it's too good to be true and it sure seems it. I linked to an article above that has me worried again. AMC seemed to have the biggest problem with Movie Pass and now it seems like they are picking a fight they won't win. It very could be that they aren't making money at the moment. @Yoda I don't think they get any concessions right now. Could be a problem for sustainability.

That said I am not the target. I went to the movies 40 times a year before Movie Pass. I still will about that much. I used to say I am not eating concessions anymore but still did.. same now.

One of our service technicians uses this.. he loves it.. He advised me to get one.. .I just may now that I know my Cinemark takes it. Im sure the AMC around here does as well.

Seems like MoviePass is going under. It has been a good ride, and MoviePass has saved me a lot of money. But it might be time to say goodbye.

A system of cells interlinked
Talking about it right now with a buddy at work. He is saying the same stuff!

RIP

If it makes it past August I'll be shocked but it just means I have to go to the theater everyday this week to try and squeeze out as many films as possible to justify getting it (it was a BD gift).

Im already buying into Sinemia. MoviePass is done

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The theatres will suffer as well. Apparently they get reimbursed the ticket price, as well as having a warm body with extra money for concessions.

MoviePass always sounded great, but there are months where there isn't a single movie I would want to go see.

Unlike Netflix and others of their ilk, they seem to not be able to exist by running in the red.

I've had MoviePass for several months and I love it. It's such a good deal, and I'm with you: I don't understand why people aren't willing to give it a try. However, they've been making a lot of changes recently, and for me the time to cancel seems to be getting closer.

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
MoviePass is my favorite thing in 2018. It let people see a lot more movies which I love. It also made a lot of very rich people lose money, which I am also a big fan of.

MoviePass is my favorite thing in 2018. It let people see a lot more movies which I love. It also made a lot of very rich people lose money, which I am also a big fan of.

Why in the world would you be a big fan of rich people losing money?

Still waiting on my Sinemia card....the MoviePass app pretty much shuts down for me after 7pm every day making it pretty much worthless on weekdays. This is stupid....

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!

Why in the world would you be a big fan of rich people losing money?
It’s more of a joke than anything but the whole schadenfreudian nature of watching the haves become have nots.