Favorite Disney Animated Classics?

Tools    

Tarzan always seems like an odd favorite to me. It doesn't really stand out to me in any specific way.

Tarzan always seems like an odd favorite to me. It doesn't really stand out to me in any specific way.
I don't know what it is. But I love it very very much.

I did post quite a long post on why I like it and think it's great. If you follow the link in that post I just posted, it comes on the next page.

While I agree that family movies should appeal to the whole family, simplicity certainly isn't an American concept. Children are simpler creatures. Anyone can tell you that. You'll probably waste a lot of effort trying to drill complexity into a movie intended to appeal to kids.

Too much and it goes over the kids heads, too little and you'll miss the parents. It's a careful balancing act and Disney's generally pretty good at nailing that bullseye. ...I honestly don't know why Wreck-It Ralph is exceptional in this regard, what with other movies...
When I was 5-6 I already considered Disney's movies stupid. When I was 10 I liked movies like Terminator 2 and The Matrix.

Children around the age of 10 already smarter than adults, specially because their brains are more "flexible" so they can learn new things more easily. The brain after the age of 25 starts to deteriorate and the capacity to learn new things decreases, that's why, for example, an old person's favorite movies or music is always from the time they were young and why all chess masters start playing when they are very young.

So I disagree completely with Disney's method of underestimating their audience's intelligence. Many of which are already smarter than the aging brains of the company's executives. It just ends up making the audience feel insulted (a point Miyazaki made in his Starting Point, I wrote an essay about Miyazaki and children's movies in my animation thread: Miyazaki and Children's Movies).

Not all American children's movies follow that logic: Pixar's movies, for example, have a complexity that most Disney's movies lack. Also, Wreck it Ralph is an example of a more complex Disney movie as well (and an excellent one at that). Dreamworks movies like How to Train your Dragon and Shrek are also more complex than typical Disney fare.

Overall, it's clear trend that for modern Hollywood, children's animated movies are getting as complex as "normal" movies. That started out with Pixar and Don Bluth in the 1990's.

When I was 5-6 I already considered Disney's movies stupid.
Alright. You're in a pretty big minority there.

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Children around the age of 10 already smarter than adults, specially because their brains are more "flexible" so they can learn new things more easily. The brain after the age of 25 starts to deteriorate and the capacity to learn new things decreases, that's why, for example, an old person's favorite movies or music is always from the time they were young and why all chess masters start playing when they are very young.
I find this all very questionable.

So I disagree completely with Disney's method of underestimating their audience's intelligence. Many of which are already smarter than the aging brains of the company's executives.
Because they're 10?

It just ends up making the audience feel insulted (a point Miyazaki made in his Starting Point, I wrote an essay about Miyazaki and children's movies in my animation thread: Miyazaki and Children's Movies).
Yeah, I saw that, I still don't really agree with it.

Not all American children's movies follow that logic: Pixar's movies, for example, have a complexity that most Disney's movies lack. Also, Wreck it Ralph is an example of a more complex Disney movie as well (and an excellent one at that). Dreamworks movies like How to Train your Dragon and Shrek are also more complex than typical Disney fare.
They're different, that's for sure, but Shrek's status as a parody of typical Disney tropes doesn't exactly make it more complex.

Overall, it's clear trend that for modern Hollywood, children's animated movies are getting as complex as "normal" movies. That started out with Pixar and Don Bluth in the 1990's.
I agree there's something to be said for the likes of Secret of NIMH, buuuut...

Are we just talking about Disney princess tropes? Or is Brother Bear just that irredeemably bad? Let's hear some specific examples.

I have to return some videotapes...
I think the best is Lion King hands down.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
By far you say?

Why, praytell how you have come to such an earth-shattering conclusion, my dear constable?
It looks the best, has the best music, best story, and is the most fun to watch.

Yes, Pinnochio is the best. But, although there was no ratings system when it first came out, and it was eventually rated G, I think that some of the scenes in it would now be considered too frightening for young children.

How about live action Disney? I vote for "Darby O'Gill and the little people."

Care for some gopher?
Since i keep track of the movies i'm watching (14 months), i've seen 16 Disney films. I'd rank them like this:

Love it:
The Lion King

Really like it:
Wreck-it Ralph
Tangled
Mulan
The Little Mermaid

Like it (above average):
Bambi
The Jungle Book
Aristocats

It's ok:
Big Hero 6
The Rescuers
Frozen
Pocahontas

Don't like it:
Cinderella
The Rescuers Down Under

Hate it:
Chicken Little
The Emperor's New Groove

Here are my favorite animated Disney films, in no particular order:

Fantasia (the original 1940 movie)

Fantasia 2000 (although not quite as good as the original Fantasia)

Pinocchio

Sleeping Beauty

Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs.

The Lion King

Ponyo

Lady & the Tramp

Peter Pan

Cinderella

Sword in the Stone

Dumbo

My Favorite non-animated Disney movie:

Old Yeller.

Davy Crockett

Not Disney, but Studio Ghibli.
It saddens me that some think Ghibli's films are actually Disney's because they release them over here. I remember someone had Spirited Away on their favourite Disney movie list over here . It's not their fault it is they way Disney releases them as if they are their own.