MovieMeditation presents... "His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films!"

→ in
Tools    

Borderland was pretty good.
Again a story based on True Events... **** yeah... what they do to Rider Strong was f*cked up....

I'm very open about my illness. I have schizophrenia. Anyone who has a problem with that can f*ck off.

I'm very open about my illness. I have schizophrenia. Anyone who has a problem with that can f*ck off.
I suffer from depression but I think all my good friends here know that...

I suffer from depression but I think all my good friends here know that...
That makes two of us. In fact the doctor made me take one those M3 bipolar tests the other day, I scored 85%. Those tests mean nothing, though. It's like when you go back for an assessment and they say "on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the lowest you've ever felt, what number are you right now?" And even if you say 8 they stil give you another dose of happy pills.

Again a story based on True Events... **** yeah... what they do to Rider Strong was f*cked up....
Very loosely based on True Events. I haven't watched the film but i'm familiar with the true story and have actually read an article comparing them. I also had stuff to post about Roland Doe (the basis for The Exorcist) but we've passed that now and I couldn't find the article anyway

Very loosely based on True Events. I haven't watched the film but i'm familiar with the true story and have actually read an article comparing them. I also had stuff to post about Roland Doe (the basis for The Exorcist) but we've passed that now and I couldn't find the article anyway
I dont care how loosely based... cults that believe in human sacrifice are scary as is possession of a entity...

I'd say cults that believe in human sacrifice are scarier than possession because, y'know, they'd be real.

I'd say cults that believe in human sacrifice are scarier than possession because, y'know, they'd be real.
I was saying that both are scary.... but yeah Human Sacrifice is worse than possession... however they are both a form of death.... death of the body and death of the soul at the point of possession.

Exemplary thread, MM! This is why you're one of my favorite MoFos. You consistently go the extra mile when it comes to the time and effort you put into your threads. Your reviews and write-ups are stellar. Your posts illustrate your obvious passion for writing and movies. A lot of members just throw these lists together without much thought, but I admire your commitment to do the best job possible. The layout, the graphics, the presentation, the explanation of your thought process, the write-ups and reasons for each entry on the list . . . all of it is very, very impressive. I wish more members were like you.

So far this is a very interesting list with a good mixture of lesser known films and beloved classics. There's a few I haven't seen (Dumplings, The Caller, Grave Encounters, Triangle). I've never even heard of Dumplings, but your write-up has me intrigued. I typically dislike found-footage films, but I've heard a few members sing the praises of Grave Encounters, so I'm willing to give it a shot. Triangle has been on my watchlist for years.

I haven't seen Thirteen Ghosts since it first came out. I remember liking it, even if it wasn't necessarily a great film. The creativity with the different ghosts and the glass house helped the movie stand out despite its familiar structure. If I watched the film today, I'm confident that I'd still have fun with it, even if its shortcomings might be much more noticeable.

Considering that you just recently watched Nosferatu the Vampyre for the first time, I'm pleased to see that it made a strong enough impression on you to make your list, even if it's ranked fairly low at the moment. I'm confident that the movie will grow on you with any future viewings and climb higher on the list in the future. If this was my list, it'd make the top ten. I think it's the greatest vampire movie ever made.

The Collector is above average, but most of the movie has faded from my memory. I've never bothered with the sequel.

I love Stir of Echoes. Such an underrated movie. It works as a horror, thriller and mystery film. There are several sequences in the film that never fail to creep me out. I own it on DVD, but I haven't watched it in a few years. I need to revisit it.

I like The Evil Dead, but I've only seen bits and pieces of the sequels. I remember watching Child's Play or one of the sequels a long, long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. I was a kid at the time, but even then I didn't find Chucky particularly scary.

From Dusk Till Dawn is awesome. I remember watching it when it first came out. I was only 9 or 10 at the time. I had no idea who Quentin Tarantino was. I had no idea that vampires were involved. I know some people criticize the jarring, out-of-nowhere shift once the characters arrive at the titty bar, but I was grinning ear-to-ear when I first watched it. The whole thing is so absurd, yet so ridiculously fun and comical and entertaining. And the scene with Salma Hayek and the snake is still one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. I don't generally think of it as a horror film, although it certainly fits the criteria for your list, but it's most definitely a favorite of mine.

I watched The Exorcist for the first time last year in preparation for the 70's Countdown and wrote a review for it. I liked it, but I couldn't help feeling disappointing with it, too. I think the movie is a victim of its own success in some ways. So many iconic scenes have been replayed and parodied over the years that their impact is now diminished. If I had been alive to watch The Exorcist when it was first released, I'm sure I'd be one of the people declaring it as one of the greatest horror films of all-time, but instead I find it overrated.

I'm excited and curious to see how the rest of this list plays out.

And there it was! The much anticipated write-up by The Great Spaulding.

Seriously though, I was beginning to worry if you would ever check into this list. I appreciate every single reply I get but the longer the better, obviously. And it doesn't harm that you also write so detailed and dig down into each film and aspect etc. Thanks Spaulding! And many thanks for handing out all that credit about my effort and my weakness for always wanting to deliver perfection. It's hard, it's sometimes very difficult, but I do it as much for myself as I do it for all those who appreciate such things - like you. Some people like to get things delivered quick and common, others do appreciate more personality and thoughts. I do, and I like doing it, and shout out to everybody who do as well!

I should have the next 3 coming up very soon!

I think From Dusk Till Dawn is decent enough fun, although I don't completely love it as much as some of you guys. It's one of my step-dad's favourite movies, and I think if I had watched it at a younger age I would absolutely love it, but it actually came after I had watched most of Tarantino's stuff, I think. But there's certainly lots of great, fun parts, especially the Salma Hayek scene. I'm also in the camp that prefers the first half to the second.

The Exorcist is actually my step-brothers favourite film, I think. I've seen it in parts a lot of times, and a few in its entirety. I think it's one of the greatest horror films ever made, and certainly one of the best written. So whilst it's good to see it on the list, I think it's too low and I'm disappointing to hear you aren't completely in love with it, although it's good to see a list that's an honest reflection of your favourites with your personal thoughts mixed in rather than being boring and conventional.

I watched The Evil Dead about a week ago and I wasn't a particularly big fan unfortunately, although I can definitely see the cult appeal with the gore and dark comedy. It just seemed a little to stretched out because of its simple plot, the characters seemed silly at times and its in your face approach got a bit annoying for me about half way through

Wow, thanks for the extended replies here, Daniel and Chypmunk! Thanks for putting effort into your answers and commenting with your own thoughts as well!

As I said before, the next 3 is coming up, I would say in about 15-30 minutes!

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I haven't seen Childsplay in about 10 years, but I do remember really liking it. I used to have the doll when I was younger but I sold it for a few quid .

from Dusk Till Dawn is a fantastic film. Sure, it's over the top and silly but it's entertaining as f***. I really love the dance scene when everything first kicks off. Such a badass film.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

~His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

38. Videodrome (1983)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

Director David Cronenberg grants us with his delicate and definitive blend of explicit body horror brilliance and clever social commentary, in this twisted and thought provoking science fiction cult classic. The film explodes with inventive ideas and disturbing imagery that just comes to life in a skillfully manner, when in the hands of someone as talented as Cronenberg. He has directed some excellent films over the years, but this one just came across as even more interesting than some of his other works…

This film presents us with a lot of things at once, some of which has become very present in today’s society. The comments on technology, mass media and the general public hunger for explicit and exciting television, are all expertly handled and has that perfect incarnated darkness, which is only brightening all the points and comments to even greater extend. Cronenberg understood early on, that media is not some separated form that we just glance at with great excitement. It is something that burrows itself into our very mind and body. It affects us all to greater extent than we could ever imagine. It only makes everything even better, that Cronenberg’s usual flair for presenting his point of view in a stylistic and at times humorous manner, is very dominating in this film.

Why is it on my list?
Cronenberg knows how to walk the fine line between overly exhausting direct cinema and additional subtle social commentary, and doing so in a way, which comes across as both extremely clever and mindless entertaining. Even though it has been a while since I have seen this film, there is still plenty of memorable imagery and interesting viewpoints, which shines brighter than ever now, and just talking about it makes me want to re-experience everything all over again.

37. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

I have noticed that this is a film that either falls in the love or hate kind of category… There are people who think this is an awful piece of low-budget exploitation cinema, while others praise it for pretty much every aspect that it has. I want to say right away, that if anything this film should be way higher on my list. But because I have only seen it twice – once when I was a kid and once when I was a lot older – I can’t get myself to put it above several favorites on my list when I’m not sure how I will ultimately stand with it. With a rewatch I would say it could definitely make it into the top twenty, but as of right now it shouldn’t matter too much. All that is important is that I’m one of those who love this film; and actually I’m quite surprised of how great I thought it was on that second viewing…

I think this film stands as one of the most well crafted horror films ever made, especially considering its budget and what seems to be a very graphic and insane concept. It just works. The surprising thing about it all, is that this film isn’t even that graphic. Instead it feels very tense and disturbing throughout, capturing that perfectly unsettling kind of atmosphere that feels present all the way to the end. Right from the opening credits, you know that this is going to be a special kind of experience, consisting of a very gritty and hand-held style, which just adds to the realism of it all. I remember to agree with another member here on the forum, who also noticed how great the cinematography was. I think the warm saturated filthy look to it makes it all that more frightening. And together with the extremely creepy soundscape and great set designs, this is a film that holds its own.

Why is it on my list?
One of those very tense and atmospheric horror films that take time to fully creep up on you, but still manages to be rather unsettling all the way through. It has a wild and graphic concept, but still manages to cast full focus on creating the inner fear, instead of being a full-on gore-fest from beginning to end. The film is well lit and directed, and has one of the creepiest soundscapes of all time. And just to clarify, this film is much higher on this list in my mind, but because of various reasons this will be lurking in the shadows until next time…

36. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Oh no… Here comes a film that seems beloved by many members here, and rightfully so. This is one of my favorite childhood movies, and yes, you read that correctly. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing terrifyingly wrong with me – well, except for the occasional late night killing spree when I'm feeling a bit moody, but that's about it… I always liked this film and watched it many times back in the day. It has the perfect feel to it of a small film and with a nice combination of horror and humor. In many ways this pick is too low, but there are so many factors I have to consider that it is sometimes hard where to put a film. But love it, I certainly do…

The film feels like a very fresh and fun twist on a tired genre, and although classic and respectful in its execution, it isn’t afraid to be different in any way. There are many things to say about this film, which is original and well done, but what I really love about it is the very unusual werewolf howl. Actually, it isn’t even a howl in the classic sense of the word, but more like a deep and disturbing long-lasting bark. Many would think it would be wrong to mess with such an element as that of the werewolf howl, but thankfully they made it sound amazing. The film was pretty disturbing back in the days, but I was never truly frightened. The only thing I thought was pretty scary and really gross, as a kid, was the ripped-up Jack when he came back on the occasional visits in Limbo. That image stayed with me for a while; especially in the first visit when he was almost just killed, and the wounds are all fresh and greasy, right down to the last little flapping flap of skin, hanging expertly placed on his neck… very delicious indeed.

Why is it on my list?
A fresh and yet classic take on the werewolf genre that isn’t afraid to transform into a true and terrifying beast of a film! Together with the surprisingly humorous undertone and some great special effects and sound work, this lands comfortably on my list, while probably being too low for a few reasons. But after all this is a ranking in order favoritism and not greatness, and if it was to be ranked after the latter it would most definitely be a lot higher. But anyways, I love this film, and wherever it was to land it certainly had to be on the list somewhere, that’s for sure!

I was saying that both are scary.... but yeah Human Sacrifice is worse than possession... however they are both a form of death.... death of the body and death of the soul at the point of possession.
I'd argue that the latter is more death of the mind. Since every "possession" case i'm aware of has strong links to mental illness.

An American Werewolf in London and TCM , still haven't watched Videodrome. Great write ups.

One of the best lists i've seen on here, MovieMeditation, from format on down to write-ups.

major up-reps for ~
Nosferatu the Vampyre '79
Evil Dead 2 '87
The Exorcist '73
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre '73

At one time or another all of these have been among my favorite movies. The Evil Dead films have fallen for me a bit over time, although i quite enjoyed Evil Dead 2 the first time i saw it. Recall showing it to a girl back in college and we laughed all the way through

Videodrome is Great , Texas Chainsaw Massacre is really great and An American Werewolf In London is my favorite movie from this set so it's extremely great! Great list so far buddy