MovieMeditation presents... "His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films!"

→ in
Tools    

Looks like I hit the spot every time for you, Derek! Glad you liked the picks, and that you also see something good in Grave Encounters.
Grave Encounters is a very effective and tense flick with nice jump scares! for an horror fan has myself I completely dig the movie !

MM, great choice of the Evil Dead Trilogy, a set that is one of my favorites. Child's Play is always great fun, and huge props for Grave Encounters! I only saw the trailer on YouTube back when it came out, so I rented it and loved it! It is a cut above the "found footage" movies, as you've said. I also like the scene you pictured with the girl standing facing the wall. What happens after that is one of the spookiest instances I've ever seen. Great stuff!

The Evil Dead trilogy is a mixed bag for me. The first one is a huge favorite of mine but I didn't like Army of Darkness. Evil Dead II is somewhere in the middle.

Child's Play is always fun.

Not really interested in Grave Encounters.

~His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

41. Triangle (2009)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

Since I already did a review for this in my diary thread, I will simply combine what I have already written together with some expanded thoughts as well… First off, the actual synopsis present on most sites doesn’t spoil the overall plot too much, but if I want to talk about this film to some extent at least, I simply have to tell you what the film is essentially about. So if you plan on watching this, and want to go in completely unknowing of what to expect, then don’t read any further. I won’t spoil the film per say, but the storyline that it follows I will have to discuss in order to make sense of what I write...

So basically, there is this group of people who get stranded on a huge cruise ship and weird stuff starts to happen. More precisely, this one girl who is also the main character gets to relive the same exact timeline over and over again, and then has to perfect it in order to survive. This film is actually really interesting and also extremely well done when you notice how small the budget must have been. Despite the typical plot holes these films never seem to be able to get around, it is a fairly clever and frightening adrenaline-fueled ride. I love how the film spreads out the breadcrumbs for you, and have you guessing along trying to gather the plot almost in the same tempo as the main character does it. I have always had a weak spot for movies about parallel universes and copies of oneself, so this film is plenty unsettling to watch for me at times, and a whole lot of fun too. And what is also great is that the level of excitement just keeps expanding throughout the film, though at a point it does seem to go a little downward, and the overall conclusive ending could have been slightly better.

Why is it on my list?
Considering the plot of the film, it holds up extremely well on a second viewing, even though it dropped quite some places down on this list than where I had initially placed it. But it is definitely still a lot of fun and at times quite terrifying, and the story is continuously very strong and clever, even considering the possible plot holes that it holds – most of which you don’t really care about when watching. I think there are only one or maybe two plot holes that I was quite annoyed by. Overall this is a ride to enjoy, and if you haven’t seen it I would recommend it – it is guaranteed to give you a very different and fun experience.

40. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

The dynamic duo of cinema has joined forces in order to create the ultimate homage to those trashy and stylish grindhouse pictures, which they both love and appreciate almost immortally. This film is strangely enough not one that I particularly enjoyed the first time around, mostly because I had no clue of what to expect from it. What I eventually ended up with was a two-parted experience, with a very interesting and well-made trash-thriller slash road-movie in the first half, and then a totally over-the-top goofy vampire gore-fest in the second. But when I revisited the film once again, I was completely prepared for the level of absolute mindless fun, which it was supposed to deliver, and actually I ended up having an amazing time with it!

As I mentioned before, this is basically two movies crammed into one, each paying homage to different types of grindhouse cinema. While I still wish the film had kept with the initial storyline, I don’t mind the mindless vampire madness that it turns in to, although I wasn’t keen on this element back during my first watch. But without it, this film wouldn’t even have been able to land on my list, and honestly, I think this is a film that will only get even better with rewatches to come. It has that perfect blend of atmospheric macho-style badassery of filmmaking, which Tarantino and Rodriguez so clearly aimed for. On its own very insane level of terms, this film is an enormous success and it accomplishes more than it had any right to do, really.

Why is it on my list?
Probably the most insanely entertaining pick on my list, full of inventive visual gags, delivered in a pace and style that is just batshiit crazy. But before you get to dive into all the madness, you get an exceptionally well-made first half, which contains signature filmmaking from both these talented gentlemen. And together with the strong “grindhouse feel”, this film puts you in just the right mood throughout, and sometimes, it is just great to see filmmakers show why they are film enthusiasts as well, and not just boring slaves to Hollywood. This is a film you either love or hate… and I love it!

39. The Exorcist (1973)

The supposedly scariest movie ever made is undoubtedly a cinematic milestone in horror history, and even for all its whimsical wonders, I ultimately dedicate it with a spot that just barely places it into the top forty. How does that make any sense, you may ask? First off, I will never take away any of the undisputable achievements this film has made or even try to tell anybody that it doesn’t deserve its extraordinary reputation. After all, I have this film on my list for a reason, and even though greatness and favoritism tend to go hand in hand sometimes, this list is primarily a ranked compilation of personal favorites, and therefore I haven’t deliberately chosen any of the films out of sheer success and reputation, or groundbreaking technical achievements. This film is on my list for a reason, in the same way that it isn’t placed higher for any other reason…

Let me start off by saying, that this is indeed a very masterful and appreciated product of cinema, with great and fitting cinematography, set to an undying and unsettling music score, which is all held together by great performances and groundbreaking special effects. But personally, for all its clear triumphs I don’t find the film to be particularly scary, nor do it necessarily have to be, to stand as a great horror film. I can easily relate to religious people who believe in the existence of demonic powers and the devil himself, and therefore are absolutely terrified by the realistic and haunting imagery present in this film. Personally, I’m not a religious person; neither do I typically find exorcisms to fall into my taste of horror. It is just that I simply can’t take something that seriously, when there is a 12 year old girl with the raspy voice of a 40 year old drug addict – or just someone who had one too many cigarettes in his lifetime – rambling about in very amusing foul language like, “your mother sucks c*cks in hell” or “you f*cking ******”. At times it just takes me out of the film, due to the fact that I find it more funny than frightening. But I can definitely see why some would find it scary, especially at the time of release.

Why is it on my list?
This is a well-crafted horror film that I enjoy very much, but mostly for the way that it is made, rather than what it really aims for. But with all that is said above, I couldn’t deny that certain elements are, if not scary, then definitely very disturbing to watch – like the crucifix mutilation scene, the spider-walk and the famous head-spin. The most disturbing scene of them all though, at least to me, is not even religiously related or a true attempt at being scary… I’m talking about the needle insertion/blood squirting scene at the hospital, and basically just all the experiments they put her through... I guess sometimes it is true terror, which terrifies you the most.

doesn't like Triangle too much...

From Dusk Till Dawn is awesome !!

The Exorcist is an absolute classic.

very nice once again

Finally! Some good films.

Seriously though, three films which I really, really like. I've Triangle three or four times now and it holds up each and every time. From Dusk Till Dawn used to be on my 100. One of the best cinema experiences I ever had. As for The Exorcist. I've said before and I'll say it again, the best made horror film I've seen. A brilliant piece of cinema and a real achievement on the effects front, too.

Love Triangle and The Exorcist - especially The Exorcist, which, like honeykid says, is one of the most well-made horrors ever. From Dusk till Dawn is pretty good too.

The Evil Dead trilogy and The Exorcist are awesome! Great list so far MM!

I love From Dusk Til Dawn right up until the point when Hayek turns into a vampire. After that, I'm not crazy about it.

Triangle is excellent and The Exorcist is too low!

I love From Dusk Til Dawn right up until the point when Hayek turns into a vampire. After that, I'm not crazy about it.

Triangle is excellent and The Exorcist is too low!
Thanks for replying, cricket! I suggest you read my write-ups for both Dusk and Exorcist - especially the latter, if you want to know why I can't place it much higher. At least not at this point. Glad you like Triangle too!

I've seen other members write that they find The Exorcist funny at times. The only thing I can think of is the age when someone sees it. I find a lot of humor in Deliverance and Leaving Las Vegas-both movies I watched very often while drunk in my early to mid twenties.