ahwell's Top 100 Movies - 2020

→ in
Tools    

85. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

On the surface this film is not as thematic and deep as the Breakfast Club, or as funny as Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. But god damn, does this movie have a lot to say about the way we live and how we follow by the rules.

I am one of those people that constantly questions my purpose in life. Why was I born? How? If one of my ancestors had died from the Black Plague I wouldn't be here today. If my parents hadn't met at the right time in the right place I also wouldn't be here. There are so many random occurrences that just happened to produce me, that I guess I'll call it a miracle.

If I died right now, would there be any evidence of my existence? Apart from immediate family members and friends and etc, it's crazy how little impact I really have on this world. It's my biggest fear to leave the earth without creating an impact. Death is already a looming fear, because I just can't imagine the thought of not being conscious of my own existence for eternity.

Well... Ferris Bueller's Day Off throws all that out the window, and asks us, who cares? I love it for that. It acknowledges all these fears, and existential crises, and problems, and all that. And then it shrugs its shoulders and moves on with life.

This is a movie I need. It's simple but not simple. It tells you to have fun in life, and to forget your worries, but let's not forget Cameron and how things probably did not end well for him. There are certain realities about this film that one must face. Sometimes, people will just get away with stuff that you wouldn't.

My brother is basically Ferris. He can say whatever the hell he wants and everyone will laugh and love him. I sit there, start telling a joke, realize it's bad, cough, and then tell everyone "never mind" inducing a couple awkward chuckles. Hardy har har, my brother has it easy and I have it bad. But I'm not jealous of him. This movie also celebrates the fact that everyone has a unique individuality, and Cameron and Ferris's sister are just as special as Ferris himself. Do they get a water tower and flowers dedicated to "saving Ferris?" No, but in the end, they are the ones that actually save him.

So, although I will still worry about my future, my purpose, my passions, my life - that will never change - Ferris Bueller's Day Off does an admirable job of shrugging it off with a wink and telling us to have a bit of fun (at your own cost).

...If I died right now, would there be any evidence of my existence?...
Yes! You'll forever be known as the guy who posted a blurry picture from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...just joking around.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
is a prime example of a deep, non-deep movie, that actually holds more meaning than meets the eye. Good choice and I love this film too...Just whatever you do in life don't be known as the guy who destroyed a classic Ferrari!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

When I was younger, I loved Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but it just didn't stand the test of time for me. I still like it, but I don't love it the way I used to.

84. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)

An absolute blast, I love all three hours!

Acting is great, cinematography was great, and even the screenplay was pretty damn good for a Western.

Well done, Leone!

The trick is not minding
I like TGTBTU but it easily could have cut 30-45 mins to make it more digestible. For instance, the whole bridge scene. But we’ve discussed it quite a bit already in the Western HOF II when it was nominated.
Still, great music, great cinematography and of course, the acting.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I HATED this movie so much. I was shouting at the damn TV just begging for the stupid thing to end.
Maybe a rewatch is in order to see if your opinion has changed?

Just tracked down my review of it:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)

This movie is way, WAY too long, the soundtrack is annoying as hell, and the acting is atrocious. It took me two attempts, an energy drink, and a couple of breaks (to preserve my sanity) in order to get through this hulking mess of a Western.

I have a few other Sergio Leone Westerns on my 1960s watchlist, but after this torture session I think I might just cross them off and say “F*ck that.”

-
No way a rewatch is gonna redeem it.

83. Your Name (2016)

This is just a beautiful film. It's not very original and there are some boring moments, but it ends with such beauty and autumnal wisdom that I couldn't help loving it. The whole premise is pretty cool, of some magical occurrence causing two different people to switch... It makes for a great movie that mostly keeps you on the edge of your seat. The dialogue was pretty good, especially for an anime movie (of what I've seen they are generally more visual-based), and both main characters were great and relatable. I read afterwards that the director was actually unsatisfied with Your Name, he thought he could have done a lot more with it... I personally don't agree I loved it.

TGTBATU is great, though I didn't love it as much on my recent rewatch of it. I might like the others in the trilogy more. Still a lot of iconic stuff in there...

Surprised to see Your Name. But it's a really good one though.