The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh g'wan then ..... please note these are pure guesses and nothing to do with the official Faildiction program.

1. Carry On Cowboy Once Upon a Time in the West
  2. Unforgiven
  3. The Searchers
  4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  5. Rio Bravo
  6. High Noon
  7. Dances with Wolves
  8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  10. The Wild Bunch

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Top 10 Guess
1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. Unforgiven
3. The Searchers
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
6. High Noon
7. The Wild Bunch
8. Rio Bravo
9. Dances With Wolves
10. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

I'm probably way off on the order, but at least I've got the right films:

1. Billy the Kid vs. Dracula
2. Lust in the Dust
3. The Ridiculous Six
4. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's How the West Was Fun
5. Jonah Hex
6. Cowboys & Aliens
7. Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter
8. Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
9. Wild Wild West
10. Scooby Doo! Shaggy's Showdown

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My guess:

2. Unforgiven
3. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
5. High Noon
6. The Wild Bunch
7. Dances With Wolves
8. The Searchers
10. Rio Bravo

Top 10 guess:
  2. Unforgiven
  3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  4. High Noon
  5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  6. Rio Bravo
  7. The Searchers
  8. Dances with Wolves
  10. The Wild Bunch

Hateful Eight over Django? HELL NO.

Hell Yes for me. I would say its best Tarantino flick in a looooong time. I just dont remember the exact timeline of all of Tarantino's flicks, but I would say its best in 15+ years. Django just ended up being a cartoon in the end with all bullets flying and the spritzer bottles spraying blood.

So saying a Hell No or Hell Yes just doesn't work when it comes to movies. Everybody's choice is different.

1. Unforgiven
2. Once Upon a Time in the West
3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
5. High Noon
6. The Wild Bunch
7. The Searchers
8. Rio Bravo
9. Dances with Wolves
10. The Man Who Short Liberty Valance

I've seen both Tarantinos. Django Unchained is one of his worst films, in my opinion. The only good thing in it is Samuel Jackson's hilariously overdone house negro. The Hateful Eight, on the other hand, is one of Tarantinos better films and the only good one since the first Kill Bill (I haven't seen the latest though). Despite some of the dialogue and Jackson's character going little over the top, I did like it quite a bit when I saw it. It was #14 on my ballot.

My List  

About the just missed too. I've certainly seen Wind River which I liked somewhat. I never felt it was a western though, so it was never in contention for me. I also watched Dirty Little Billy quite recently (thanks to an HoF I didn't even participate) and liked it enough to vote for. It was #17 on my ballot. I've probably seen Wyatt Earp as well but don't remember anything of it. Others are probably on the no list.

Hell Yes for me. I would say its best Tarantino flick in a looooong time. I just dont remember the exact timeline of all of Tarantino's flicks, but I would say its best in 15+ years. Django just ended up being a cartoon in the end with all bullets flying and the spritzer bottles spraying blood.

So saying a Hell No or Hell Yes just doesn't work when it comes to movies. Everybody's choice is different.
Thanks for reminding me that opinions, exists, Captain Obvious. I just used mine in that reply you quoted. So surely I can say “hell no” if I want to?

That Django ended up as a cartoon is your opinion. But I’m not saying that “calling it a cartoon just doesn’t work”. It’s especially laughable using cartoon as a flaw when most of Tarantino’s movies feels like cartoons or comic books. Django even had a graphic novel made upon it. So surely everything it was did exactly what it should do.

I find it especially funny that you said “saying hell no or hell yes just doesn’t work when it comes to movies” yet you start your reply by saying exactly that. Oh well.

The Hateful Eight over Django Unchained?! HELL NO!!

Anyway, both are very good. Django Is better.

Hell No "for me", just makes it a little bit more sensible.

I didn't vote for either Tarantino film. Neither one quite does it for me, though The Hateful Eight I enjoyed more. From those just missing the cut, The Sisters Brothers was #17 on my list, making it my favorite western of the century. In it two brothers (played by John C. Riley and Joaquin Phoenix) are assassins who work for the powerful Commodore. They argue, they get drunk, they kill people, they try their hand at a dangerous method of panning for gold, and they contemplate their future. It's artsy, comical, touching, and extremely violent. It's not for everyone, but I do recommend giving it a look. It's also directed by one of my favorite modern French directors Jacques Audiard, making his first English language film.

2. High Noon
3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
4. The Searchers
5. The Wild Bunch
6. Unforgiven
7. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
8. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
9. Dances with Wolves
10. Rio Bravo

And here's my list....

25. Bone Tomahawk (54)
24. Didn't Make It
23. The Revenant (25)
22. Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (20)
21. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon(1949)
20. Didn't Make it
19. Didn't Make it
18. 3:10 to Yuma (2007) (29)
17. <Top Ten>
16. Wind River (107)
15. The Hateful Eight (11)
14. Django Unchained (12)
13. <Top Ten>
12. The Gold Rush (77)
11. <Top Ten>
10. <Top Ten>
09. Cat Ballou - And I was the only person who voted for this.
08. Ox Bow Incident (19)
07. High Plains Drifter (31)
06. <Top Ten>
05. Tombstone (28)
04. Giant (51)
03. <Top Ten>
02. <Top Ten>
01. <Top Ten>

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I removed some posts, don't sidetrack this thread.

Loved both the Tarantino Westerns and have them on DVD, but voted for neither. I had Broken Arrow with Jimmy Stewart at #21 on my list and it shows here at #105. Well, at least it was somewhere! I'm sad that one from Jimmy most likely won't make it and it's not only a classic Western but an all-time classic movie in the general sense of the word. Oh, well. The Top Ten will be a groove!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
#108 was my #25
Dirty Little Billy

I've seen a very large amount of Billy the Kid films and pretty much enjoyed them all and each of their glamorized renditions of The Kid. What really sets this apart from them is that it is more of a realistic, and extremely dirty, aka muddy version of that formative time prior to his arrival into the Lincoln County Wars and into the infamous legends of the West.

When I say realistic, I speak of a "no account" delinquent that becomes an outlaw and not the "Prince of Pistolliers" that legend has glamorized him into. Which I'm not knocking at all, but I truly did enjoy this more unique, mud encrusted version that is portrayed perfectly by Michael J. Pollard. Along with the dangerously bent Goldie, played by Richard Evans that Billy easily falls in with as the very kind of trouble-maker that Billy would associate with.
There was a lot here that made for an excellent "origin" story. How, when picked on or rushed at in the street, while Billy would dodge away, he would refuse to runaway. And that would become a trademark of his in his short life.

...I had Broken Arrow with Jimmy Stewart at #21 on my list and it shows here at #105. Well, at least it was somewhere! I'm sad that one from Jimmy most likely won't make it and it's not only a classic Western but an all-time classic movie in the general sense of the word...
I had meant to rewatch Broken Arrow as it's been 15 years since I last saw it, but just plumb ran out of time. I do remember liking it though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
and now for a serious catching up before we hit the Top Ten:

A Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars are both so, so, SO long ago I may or may not have seen them, so we'll chalk 'em up as a No and slide 'em over to the Rectification list.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

John McCabe: If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass so much, follow me?

For whatever insane reason, it has been far, FAR too long before I have finally sat down and watched this film.
In fact, regarding that reason, there was even an unfounded trepidation on how it was going to go. Which is kinda silly since my very first Altman film, M*A*S*H when I was but pre-teen, is a huge favorite of mine and a great introduction into the styling of Robert Altman. Seeing many of those aspects in other films as well as this one.
Such as the opening scene in the bar as everyone is talking over everyone else, put me right at home, thinking of the first scene at the mess hall in M*A*S*H as introductions were being made and throughout that film and some of this.
This style of Altman's also features more focus on incidents than a specific story line. Which could cause some confusion at times, like the above line I quoted. Causing you take a moment before truly "getting" things as they play out.
Not a negative, merely a FYI for a first timer, like myself for this film. Or even for an Altman film in general. Much like remarking how a secondary (or more) viewing(s) is an enjoyable necessity. One I'll be doing somewhere in the future with this film.

The location shooting of this was truly ideal and put to excellent use. Even the initial darken interior of the bar of McCabe's arrival into town, to the final ending in the snow, there is some very gorgeous and well done scenes in this film. In fact, the building of the town was actually incorporated into the film and that brings a nice layer to the overall cinematic experience.

Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Warren Beatty's equal measure of confidence and awkwardness of a man looking to make a profit without actual business knowledge of how to get it done. That assistance comes in the strong, independent Mrs. Miller played very well by Julie Christie.
I must say, I do enjoy the roles of women in the few Altman films I have seen. They are not incomplete or dependent on their male counterparts but are complete on their own. And Christie's Mrs. Miller is very much one of those women.

Also, in regards to instances, I really enjoyed the naive, affable Cowboy (Keith Carradine). A sad, but great little side story and that final scene of him on the bridge was filmed with just the right amount of tragic tension.

While I never considered The Treasure of Sierra Madre as a Western per se, I can easily see the argument to include it and making it to #15 is a worthwhile endeavor.

Daniel Day-Lewis has only one Speed: Utter-f@ckin-Overdrive. Can't say I've ever seen a performance of his that didn't have his signature intensity and he really goes all out in There Will Be Blood.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a necessity when viewing Eastwood westerns and I'm very happy to see it place so high.

Django Unchained is the first part to the two part answer to the question: What kind of crazy @ss sh#t would Tarantino make, if he made a western. The Second part is The Hateful Eight.
Both are incredible rides and both give proper respect to the genres of Spaghetti Westerns while adding a heaping of Tarantino to the Stew.
I've enjoyed both on the multiple viewings I've seen so far. In fact, on Netflix they have the extended version of Hateful Eight broken down into a couple of episodes, which, yes, I did watch and I did enjoy.

Movies Watched 64 out of 90 (71.11%)

John Wayne Films: Three
Clint Eastwood Films: One

MY LIST

1. Will Make it
2. Open Range (#2)
3. SHOULD Make it
4. Will Make it
5. Will Make it
6. Ride The High Country (#63)
7. The Proposition (#46)
8. SHOULD Make it
9. Won't Make it
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
14. 3:10 To Yuma '07 (#29)
15. Oxbow Incident (#19)
16. Will Make it
17. True Grit '10 (#22)
18. Will Make it
19. The Quick & The Dead (#42)
20. High Plains Drifter (#31)
21. Might Not Make it
22. The Big Country (#27)
23. Stagecoach (#23)
24. Red River (#56)
25. Dirty Little Billy (#108)

Rectification List (for my own old decrepit noodle)
1. Warlock (#94)
2. Naked Spur (#86)
3. The Great Train Robbery (#60)
4. Winchester '73 (#53)
5. 3:10 To Yuma ['57] (#48)
6. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)[/quote]

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Some of you might want to sit down for a minute because this might shock you, but I watched both of these Quentin Tarantino movies for this countdown. They both could have been great movies if they weren't so bloody, but with QT at the helm, I knew what to expect, so I was prepared for it.

Django Unchained was a good movie, but it had no chance to make my list, even without all the violence and the blood. The movie itself didn't really lack anything. It just isn't really my type of movie, even without all the violence and the blood.

The Hateful Eight on the other hand was a great movie as a "who done it", but the blood overkill ruined any chance it had to make it onto my list. Without all the blood, it could have been high on my list.

Of the movies that "Just Missed", No Name on the Bullet was the only one on my list, and it was very high on my list. It was far and away my favorite Audie Murphy movie, maybe because he wasn't playing the good guy in this movie. It made it all the way up to #3 on my list.

My list so far:
1) Oklahoma! (1955)
3) No Name on the Bullet (1959)
6) Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)
7) The Frisco Kid (1979)
8) The Gunfighter (1950)
9) Maverick (1994)
12) North to Alaska (1960)
13) The Bravados (1958)
16) City Slickers (1991)
17) The Hanging Tree (1959)
19) Winchester '73 (1950)
20) The Quick and The Dead (1995)
22) The Ox-Bow Incident (1942)
23) El Dorado (1967)
25) Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (TV Movie - 1977)