The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

We usually have some ties so going for a 1 pointer could affect the order, but it would probably be rare for it to affect if a movie makes the countdown. On the other hand, I've seen people give one of their movies a ranking of 4 instead of 24 just for it to make the countdown. That's the kind of thing that I'm definitely against.
I'm not sure if I follow?...How would one know that a #4 movie would've been #24 on a person list if they hadn't bumped that up?

For myself my Top 10 are not my top 10, they are 10 movies that I really like and represent my type of movie interest. Personally I have a real hard time saying what my top 10 movies? I don't really relate to movies that way.

I'm not sure if I follow?...How would one know that a #4 movie would've been #24 on a person list if they hadn't bumped that up?

For myself my Top 10 are not my top 10, they are 10 movies that I really like and represent my type of movie interest. Personally I have a real hard time saying what my top 10 movies? I don't really relate to movies that way.
I think I’m pretty much the opposite lol. I have a ranked list of everything I’ve seen, so my top 25 would be so easy to just copy and paste.

I think I’m pretty much the opposite lol. I have a ranked list of everything I’ve seen, so my top 25 would be so easy to just copy and paste.
I must have seen 10,000 movies! Well almost and none of them are logged, but even if they were logged how can I say if Jaws is better than Citizen Kane or Blade Runner or even Valley of the Dolls, as I love all of those films.

I'm fine if we do a Top 100 btw.

Some people will place films that are somewhat obscure but not unpopular higher up on their lists than they ought to be in order to increase the chances of those films making it onto the (tail end of) the list. So in other words, if there's a movie that someone loves that is kind of obscure they might put it at #4 in order to give it 22 points when really if they were being totally honest it belongs at #24 on their ballot.

I know people do this sometimes but I doubt it's widespread enough to make a significant difference.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Agree with all of that, and I wouldn't care at all which movies make it as long as it's an accurate representation of everyone here. My concern is if it's possible for everyone to make a true list, and still have 100 titles garner a reasonable number of points. It seems not as many people submit lists as once upon a time, and sometimes lately there is talk of will it be a top 100, or a top 50. Increasing the pool of eligible movies makes the goal of 100 that much more difficult to reach.
Maybe if everyone submits their own top 50 list it would be easier to get to a full top 100 countdown.

And I think a lot of people play games with their lists. Countless times I've seen people say well I gave this movie more points because the other one didn't need it or I didn't vote for it because it didn't need my vote. Many people's #25 are just there to make the 1 pointers list, which I've never understood. Someone once voted for a movie in every decade for a genre countdown just to do it.
I never place a movie strategically based on how many points it will need to make it on the countdown, but I sometimes place a lesser known movie in the #25 spot just to get it on the 1-pointers list. But it's always a movie that would have made my top 25 list anyway, and would have been somewhere in the lower portion of my list. If a movie is ranked high on my list, I never lower it to the #25 spot just to get it on the 1-pointers list.

Many times I see the way people vote only to see that it doesn't match their top 10. Not a big deal because it's all in fun, but I think this will all happen more with an expanded pool of movies, and that's why I think genre or decade countdowns are just a little bit better.
My list will never match my top 10 in my profile because those are just 10 movies that I love, and they were on my mind the day I placed them in my profile. I think I have a bunch of westerns in my top 10 in my profile right now, but they're not ranked 1 to 10. They were just western movies that I knew I already liked when I started to watch movies for the westerns countdown. They might not even make my final list.

Submitted an embarrassing list.
You and me both, man. I didn't get to nearly as many as I'd hoped, but so be it. I guess I'll use the final list for recs, too. It's all good in the end if we all watch a bunch of great westerns.

And I think a lot of people play games with their lists. Countless times I've seen people say well I gave this movie more points because the other one didn't need it or I didn't vote for it because it didn't need my vote.
Yeah, it's true. It's all too easy of a temptation to adjust one's list, maybe bumping down ones that a person thinks are more common in favor of giving more points to something a little more obscure and things like that. But I think when people cheat, they ultimate are cheating their self. So in that sense I just try to worry about myself and not worry about other people.

Does the list need to be 25?
No. It's been said many times that even 10 will be accepted, so I think 10 is the minimum. But I'm not sure what the minimum is.

@cricket I think that top lists and rating movies are somewhat fickle things to begin with. They're very subjective, as we think about how we feel about certain movies. Feelings constantly change. I think quality is objective, though most people would probably disagree. At least for me personally, when I assess movies, there is a huge distinction I make when I try to look at them objectively from when I look at them subjectively. I can make two separate lists. One of movies I like based on how I feel about them and my personal enjoyment, subjectively. And one of movies I think are great objectively. My top 100 personal favorites is a very different list from my top 100 greatest movies of all time list. That being said, I think these kind of top 100 community lists as a game or activity is especially subjective. Though it varies from person to person as some people will try to be more objective and other people will be highly subjective. I try to have a balance of both when it comes to things like this.

I've been very critical of the MoFo top 100 lists over the years. But as I've come to think about it all these years, I've finally realised that I just want to be a part of this community. Even though I can be a jerk sometimes. I'm glad that Miss Vicky, Iroquois, and other people I've butted heads with, are here. And when all is said and done, I want to get along with everyone in spite of any grievances. And I want everyone to know, maybe especially Vicky, but not only her, that I forgive everyone for everything. And I love you all.

This Western theme over these recent months has given me some perspective into participating in the community here. And I'm really grateful for that. I'm reminded of a time some years ago when @Swan said, this is more than just a community, or a group of people who like movies. It's a family. I actually feel that in some way. It is like a family, of those who come and go, and those who choose to participate in being connected while we live our lives.

Does the list need to be 25?
No, a few partial lists have already been submitted.
From the OP:
  • Partial lists are accepted, but you must list at least ten and they still must be numbered.

Just in case I later get accused of 'gaming' my ballot I'll say now that I omitted a fillum that ought to have featured in the upper echelons of my list. This was not a deliberate move however, I simply forgot to flag it with the 'Western' tag in my records so it wasn't included in the list of fillums extracted in order to garner the Top 25 ... and sadly it failed to occur to me that it was missing until after I'd already submitted that list. That's just called getting old and God willing it will happen to all of us.

Personally I think the one-pointers is a fun 'tradition' and where possible I'll happily try to get a passing mention in the countdown thread for something I think is deserving of one but unlikely to get one otherwise.

Awesomesauce! I woke up to a mailbox full of lists. I have not tallied them yet but I now have fifty-two ballots and I know there are at least another 10+ MoFos who have said they are still working on theirs.

Thank you, Amigos!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have tabulated all the ballots received, so far. Fifty-three MoFos have participated, naming 248 different titles, the top sixty-nine all have at least 50 points, the top forty-three have at least a hundred, twenty-six movies have managed at least 200 points, and our top thirteen all have over 300 points.

We ain't done yet. Keep 'em comin', Y'all!

I just rewatched Hud, it was pretty excellent.

I have a question which contains spoilers about the film for those who remember it.

Oh and btw I'll send my list when I wake up tomorrow (yeah I know, it's 6AM and I don't sleep yet haha)

WARNING: spoilers below
Toward the end of the film, when Hud's father die, he says to his nephew that his father did as much harm to him then he did to his father. When his nephew asked him why, we don't get an answer. Do you believe Hud lied because he's a man without virtue and principles so it's just a thing he said like that? Or do you believe he actually believe it's true. If so, what do you think his father did to him?

I'm so excited to turn my list in, but I am seriously waiting till the last possible moment. I'm re-watching El Topo right now to get an up-to-date vibe on my old favorite. It's only the second time I've ever watched it.